No hot water (1 Viewer)

Oct 7, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
since 1980
Hello ,my truma heater works fine for heating the van and I have good water pressure on cold,but cannot get any hot water to come from the taps.Any ideas please:

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
Are you getting water through the hot taps ?
Can you hear the water heater fire up, have you got a cover over the outside flue, have you left it on ?
Try to eliminate the obvious first.
Does the light come on the controller when you turn it on.
Does it appear to be a gas or electrical problem.

OP
OP
H
Oct 7, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
since 1980
Thanks, I have mixer taps and when turned to the hot water, nothing comes out.The boiler gets hot and produces heat which then blows from the various vents around the van. I've tried it on both gas and mains electric with equal results as the boiler also contains an electric element as well as gas.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
If theres no water coming out of hot tap then the chances are there is no water in the boiler ?
Nothing like a drain open is there.

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
are you sure u havent got a air lock ?

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
I can only relate to my Hymer, after a. complete draindown i start filling tank and when there is enough water in for the pump to get suction i open cold taps until i get a good flow.
Then do hot taps so the pump fills heater and eventually once the air has come out i get water.
Are you getting any air out from the hot taps.

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
Definately sounds like an air lock.You should never turn on the water heater until you have a flow of water through the hot side.Also ensure the heater drain valve is closed.

OP
OP
H
Oct 7, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
since 1980
Thanks, but the hot water heating and van heating are combined so when you select van heating you also get water heating.
I'm fairly sure that the water is heating up but will not come out of the taps ........ just had a brainwave ( if I had one that is ) if I switch on the truma heater again leave for 30 mins,then open the dump valve ,I'll know then if the water coming out of the bottom of the van is hot , I'll try that later.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks, but the hot water heating and van heating are combined so when you select van heating you also get water heating.
I'm fairly sure that the water is heating up but will not come out of the taps ........ just had a brainwave ( if I had one that is ) if I switch on the truma heater again leave for 30 mins,then open the dump valve ,I'll know then if the water coming out of the bottom of the van is hot , I'll try that later.

I know little about Truma heaters, but enough about hot water systems in general to tell you that you want to have the water flowing through cleanly before you ever turn it on. Otherwise, you can damage heaters quite severely, or, at least, activate protection systems that might require resetting or replacing.

Get the water flowing first before you even consider heating it.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
sounds like you have one of four things wrong....

a blockage between pump and boiler

a blockage between boiler and taps

a faulty tap.

or there is a boiler bypass valve/tap which is closed

have you tried turning on another hot tap

as already said, dont run the boiler on electric until you are positive it contains water or the heating element will be damaged.
gas heat isnt as critical but could pop a joint on the boiler tank.

OP
OP
H
Oct 7, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
since 1980
hot water comes out of the dump valve when opperated and hot air blowing into van so looks like the boiler is ok.
A tiny and I mean tiny bit of water comes out of any of the hot taps.
Must be an air lock but I just can't shift it no matter how long I leave the taps on for.
Possibly if I connect the cold fead to the hot feed and back flush it, don't really know ( That has worked in a domestic water supply ) but don't want to cause any damage .

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
with most systems if you have dumped the water from the boiler then you need to open a hot tap to refill / bleed it.

as you have dumped yours is that now what is happening? and is that using the hot tap that water does not come out of? ( if that makes scene )

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
wonder if it could be a faulty dump valve.

not allowing normal flow (blockage) but still allowing dumping as the dump outlet/valve will be before the flow outlet to taps

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
PS; as i see it you need to get Air / water from a hot tap to fill the boiler, therefore if you do not get any air / water from the hot tap to refil the boiler it should remain empty:Eeek:

Last edited:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Please forgive me if this is stupid but what I would try would be to switch on the pump, open a hot water tap and suck the open tap... maybe that might get things going...

JJ :Cool:

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
As its a Hymer it almost certainly has microswitched taps controlling the pump therefore my suggestion is that the microswitch on the kitchen hot tap has failed or there is a broken wire somewhere nearby. Try opening the kitchen hot tap and then turning on the bathroom tap to activate the pump, if you get water out of both taps then the kitchen tap microswitch or its wiring are number one suspect.

D.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
As its a Hymer it almost certainly has microswitched taps controlling the pump therefore my suggestion is that the microswitch on the kitchen hot tap has failed or there is a broken wire somewhere nearby. Try opening the kitchen hot tap and then turning on the bathroom tap to activate the pump, if you get water out of both taps then the kitchen tap microswitch or its wiring are number one suspect.

D.

from post #11Dave

A tiny and I mean tiny bit of water comes out of any of the hot taps.

appears to be more than a microswitch problem to me....unlikely all three hot m/switches would go down together.

Last edited:

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
I know little about Truma heaters, but enough about hot water systems in general to tell you that you want to have the water flowing through cleanly before you ever turn it on. Otherwise, you can damage heaters quite severely, or, at least, activate protection systems that might require resetting or replacing.

Get the water flowing first before you even consider heating it.

With a modern Truma you can run it for heating without water in it. All covered in the manual. If there is water there it is also heated

OP
OP
H
Oct 7, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
since 1980
Thanks all,
It turned out to be a faulty valve, although it was fully open ,infact it had corroded inside and wouldn't allow any water through.

capinpugwash

Free Member
Sep 14, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2005 (20 years Caravan before that)
Thanks for coming back with what was causing the problem. It always helps others when this is done.:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back