Free Member
Feb 5, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
I'm a newbie
This may be a daft question but I will ask anyway. Where do you store your valuables, passport etc when you are away from your motorhome? Do motorhomes have safes fitted?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
not usually 'factory' fitted but many folks fit one.

all you need is a secure fixing point out of sight.

personally i would always carry my passport in case of emergency and would never, under any circumstances, leave bank cards or cash in the van

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
We have found that having a "life size" cardboard cut-out of the mother-in-law in the front seat always acts as a deterrent. No body would ever dream of taking her on...........:roflmto:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

g4jnw

Free Member
Mar 31, 2013
Anthorn, Wigton, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Conversion
Exp
not usually 'factory' fitted but many folks fit one.

all you need is a secure fixing point out of sight.

personally i would always carry my passport in case of emergency and would never, under any circumstances, leave bank cards or cash in the van

Ha Ha wondered what that steel box was and the key under the seats, trouble is if they steal your van then all is lost, i always keep my valuables with me where i can.

Just brings to mind when we lived in the Hebrides, which is about the safest place on earth, there used to be a caravan which was a post office, some thief had the balls to hitch it up and drive to the ferry, where he was caught, must have been something to do with POST OFFICE plastered all over it, very intelligent :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

163phil

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Kenilworth
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Still only a year after many years camping
I guess being bikers we're used to it, but we always keep our valuables with us in a "bum bag".

Upvote 0
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I prefer physical security in multiple layers.
I have deadlocks on all doors which makes it hard to get into the van in the first place. then they have to get into the safe.

If I am going away from the van then a certain component is removed to prevent the van being stolen...

Upvote 0
Jan 9, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
There may be situations where it might be safer or more prudent to only carry money and valuables that are essential for your immediate needs. For example you may be going into an area where advertising expensive camera equipment may not be the wisest option. In the event of pickpocketing or worse it would be useful if there was a spare card and cash in a secure place in your motorhome. Also keeping photocopies of passports, prescriptions, driving licence etc is a wise option.
Sid

Upvote 0

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Have a tatty old van... wear scruffy old clothes... thieves don't waste their time on you...

People keep telling me I need a new bicycle to replace my ancient, rusty old stead... my answer is... nobody bothers nicking this one!

I am with Gromett with the dead locks.

In an earlier life I used to have cash hidden away in the Wagon (tatty Iveco self build) which could not be broken into without an angle grinder or cutting gear... then I used used to worry about fire.

These days, with nothing worth pinching, I can relax a little...

Possessions are chains which tie you down...

Jack Reacher knows the Truth...

JJ :Cool:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
Never tried that one
i find the little green ones with pics of frogs on work best
After all they are good and seem to work well for the burser of the unseen university
See if you can work that one out without google

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
When we bought the van, it already had a safe fitted,

glued to a sheet of particle board stuff:ROFLMAO:

The only thing we keep in it, is the Key in the Door:ROFLMAO:

I've made other "arrangements" Which I'm not going to tell you that it is a false bottom in a cupboard:RollEyes:
-
-
-
-
-OOoopppsss:Doh:

Upvote 0
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Key theft is apparently the easy way for a crim to get your MH, I would suggest a heavy duty version of this for keys Link Removed
(and your wallet if not using a bum bag)
It makes MH keys very difficult to lose even if not attached to your belt, because you are going to feel all that heavyweight chain fall out of your pocket no matter what !:thumb:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back