Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
I might get in bother but I need to get this off my chest.

I often need my wife to help me reverse and she stands at the back to help.

What does "ok" actually mean.

In our situation it serves a dual purpose. One meaning is "keep coming, what you are doing right now is OK", the other meaning is "you have done enough reversing now, time to stop, you are OK where you are".

The hand gestures remain a mystery, I often find myself saying "I have no idea what that means."

I'm sure nobody else has this problem and I won't be the least bit surprised if there are no comments.

Deleted User
Standing where you can't see them and whispering (slight possibility it's me thats deaf !!) ::bigsmile:

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
I might get in bother but I need to get this off my chest.

I often need my wife to help me reverse and she stands at the back to help.

What does "ok" actually mean.

In our situation it serves a dual purpose. One meaning is "keep coming, what you are doing right now is OK", the other meaning is "you have done enough reversing now, time to stop, you are OK where you are".

The hand gestures remain a mystery, I often find myself saying "I have no idea what that means."

I'm sure nobody else has this problem and I won't be the least bit surprised if there are no comments.

I gets up from my seat walks to the back

Looks out the window and check

Saves arguments :thumb::Doh:

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Another Lesley

Free Member
Jan 9, 2013
North East
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2010
::bigsmile:Oh memories of when we had a caravan.....the OH used to "try" and direct and used all sorts of gestures, his favourite being "go left....go left" whilst waving and pointing to the right, and vice versa. In the end I used to ignore him and simply pretend he wasn't there. :winky: In the motorhome, he has simple instructions. Use one word and that is "STOP" if I am about to hit anything. He still waves his arms about like a demented windmill and sometimes resorts to running back and forth from one side to the other.:ROFLMAO: He has yet to use the "stop" word, and I haven't managed to hit anything either.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I guess the two of you need to develop a communication system that both of you understand...

Ok, ok, ok... not easy I realise... but with effort and determination on both sides it might be attainable... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I often ask the helper to indicate with two hands the distance there is left to go. I prefer this to the spoken instruction "come on, come on, come on" which has, in the past, been followed by the "crunch".

Of course the hand signals described must be made somewhere you can actually see them...

JJ :Cool:

Last edited:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
I suggest you need to talk to each other and decide on a code without using the word ok - you know...... left , left, straighten up and stop type thing.

and yes 'another lesley' i still have that problem on occasion with my o.h.

maggie

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2010
Conwy, North Wales
Funster No
MH
Relay self build
Exp
Since 2007
Even though I now have a camera and reversing sensors, I still feel better if my wife is at the back watching. We use some walkie talkies and have a clear understanding that "Go Go Go" and "STOP" are the only directions to give. This all follows me being clever one time and trying to turn the vehicle on our drive without help. The inevitable crack in the rear corner panel was the result. I won't do that again in a hurry!! :Doh:

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
The same with my wife who further complicates things by mixing up her left and right!
I have a rear view camera with sound so I can hear her panic just before the sickening crunch!

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
What I love "the love of my life" doing is waving me back without checking the hight, she never looks up, ie over hanging branches, so after the first time it happened I always check myself before reversing and just smile sweetly and say thank you darling. Life is too short to argue.

David

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
I always watch when Ed is reversing, make sure the window is open so he can hear me, make sure he can see me in the wing mirrors, and I bang on the side of the van when I want him to stop works for us.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
the only time i really need help is reversing into our drive.

directly opposite is a post and rail wooden fence which i cant see being left hand drive and sat 3 feet higher than the fence.

all i want is an indication i aint going to hit the fence.....

how close am i to the fence ?

erm !!!

now either that means 'i cant see' or it means 'i dont know' but either way it is of no help whatsoever.

by luck or good judgement i haven't hit the fence yet no thanks to 'er(m)

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
My wife uses inches, she always says anything less than 6 isn't worth bothering about.....

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
This all sounds oh so familiar. :Doh: The times I've asked her to make sure I can see her, the times I've asked her to keep her arm still whilst waving me back with beckoning fingers, the times I've got out to check and discovered I could get back another 2 feet at least when she's waved me frantically forward (which means stop). And all this with reversing camera and sensors. :RollEyes:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
As a 'wife' I help hubby when he's reversing.

I stand near the rear at one side and face forward as if I was doing the reversing where he can see me in his 'wing' mirror.

To indicate the distance I use the following:

• Fast waves with hand only from front to back means he's got plenty of room.
  • Slow waves using whole arm means he's closing in, interspersed with the use of 2 hands, 1 above the other, which gives an indication of how much distance is left to go.
  • Slower waves so he gets ready to brake, then hand held still and upright means stop ... this is usually done with at least 6 inches to spare so he's got time for it to 'sink in'!!! :Blush:
If I also have to indicate which way he needs to turn to line up:

• a hand in a circular motion left means turn the steering wheel left to make the rear go left
  • to get him to turn the rear right, a hand in a circular motion right means turn the steering wheel right
Before he starts reversing I check out where he's intending to put it, including any barriers/walls etc, width, obstructions and height! :thumb:

Of course, this all assumes that hubby is taking notice of me!!! :Doh:

I did 'prang' a previous van though many years ago when exiting an aire in France (one of the large town centre ones) in our Rimor which was over 7m long and I'd only driven it for the first time a couple of days earlier. This was because hubby had badly sunburned legs (2nd degree) so couldn't do any driving at all or get out to help, but was watching his side from the passenger seat whilst I was reversing. Unfortunately he didn't 'notice' the higher section of kerb on his side which I couldn't see that was next to the slope I was reversing up to turn around .... crunch!!!!! :whatthe: I was NOT a happy bunny!!!! :Angry: Needless to say I then 'managed' on my own!!! :thumb:

OP
OP
bernardfeay

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
Thanks for all the suggestions. Trust me, I have really tried to adopt a code that means "lots of rooom", "getting close", "stop", "left hand down".

I normally encourage my wife to browse this site. I won't be doing that tonight.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Thanks for all the suggestions. Trust me, I have really tried to adopt a code that means "lots of rooom", "getting close", "stop", "left hand down".

I normally encourage my wife to browse this site. I won't be doing that tonight.

The best option would probably be to get some 2-way radios ... so long as you only 'listen'!!! ::bigsmile:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Ok JJ I said I wouldn't but I couldn't resist it on this thread :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Boys!!!!!!... Seriously learn to drive.

There is only 2 ways this can turn out...

1) You get into the spot perfectly and it is all her doing.
2) You hit something.. It is all your fault as you didn't do what you were told..

For the sake of 2-3 hours training at your local HGV yard you can learn how to reverse on mirrors only without using any of these new fangled devices such as reversing sensors, cameras or ladies with walkie talkies. Then practice shed loads when she is getting her hair done.

At least this way if you hit anything it really IS your fault, and if you didn't it is all your own skill that achieved the result....

Being a single guy I can say stuff like what follows and get away with it.

On the approach to the site. I would think of some excuse to get her away from the vehicle so she can't see you either a) make a hash of it or b) do it on the first go. Suitable excuses run along the lines of can you book us in darling please while I get us parked. Or what is that darling, can you check it out I will put the van over there... etc etc etc...

Anyway, this drunken bum really needs to shut up now :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

PS: Seriously guys. If you can't reverse into a slot 18" on each side and stop within 6" of a wall behind. You need training and need to keep quiet on here. How else are us single guys (solo drivers) supposed to be able to get away with posting funny videos of women parking....

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tf4TIWECZ30"]World's Worst Attempt At Parallel Parking, Enjoy! - YouTube[/ame]

Men.. This is how it should be done.... If you can't do it, get out of your shed for an afternoon and learn:winky:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hc7mc3sS1nM"]90 seconds backing up tractor trailer into an enclosed dock - YouTube[/ame]

And you are telling me you can't get a 7 or 8 meter solid bodied vehicle onto a camping pitch with no hazards for about half a mile without some women screaming at you from behind????:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

PPS: All the above is meant in good humour please don't take offence..

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
I always watch when Ed is reversing, make sure the window is open so he can hear me, make sure he can see me in the wing mirrors, and I bang on the side of the van when I want him to stop works for us.

We use the same method as Carol, I wave Bill back using hand signals like someone who has worked as ground staff at Gatwick:roflmto: although he sometimes says he can't see me in the wing mirrors:Doh:

I use all sorts of "gesticulations", some polite, others not so polite::bigsmile:
If anything gets too close, I'll thump the side of the van.
A "thumbs up" then we're done:thumb:

Don't even mention anything about trying to reverse the caravan when we had it......:Eeek:

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
just run her over and buy a reversing camera that stops all arguments :Smile:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
My only worry when I am reversing is people walking behind the van.

There are some incredibly stupid people about:Doh:

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
My wife can't help due to her disability - thank god.
2 big wing mirrors anx reversing camera is enough. If unsure get out for quck assessment then do it.
When putting MH in its storage spot i reverse 100 yards and then in to place between other vehicles.
Would rather rely on my own judgement than someone else.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Help reverse, we have enough trouble getting her to assist going forwards, let alone going backwards :Doh:

Driving South on M3 and approaching the M27 junctions, SWMBO can't understand that the North COULD be behind us, and therefore believes turning left onto the M27 means we're heading West and that's to Cornwall....:Doh: she thinks if we're driving forwards then that's heading North, got to love em haven't you :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Have you ever tried to explain map orientation in a motorhome blazed with sunshine enroute to a long weekends break.....it has it's challenges ::bigsmile:

Oh and I use my mirrors, camera and judgement to reverse as it works for us :thumb::thumb:

Safe motorhoming ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
In a past life .......

I had to marshal the occasional aircraft on to a precise spot !!:whatthe::whatthe::whatthe:

The hand (no paddles available !) movements suffice to this day !!:Blush::Blush::Blush:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I guess the two of you need to develop a communication system that both of you understand...

We are talking Man <--> Woman here JJ.

My god, what would happen if we actually started to understand them !

May 16, 2010
North Hykeham
Funster No
MH
Custom
Exp
much more now

I often ask the helper to indicate with two hands the distance there is left to go.

but, of course, we all know that this is a mistake that is driven by what we have been telling women for years about the size of other extremeties...they have no real idea of what a "foot" is...:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Bluemerle

Free Member
Sep 22, 2011
Out and about
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
June 2012
Sorry, if you cant reverse it, get training or a smaller vehicle. I am on my own and if parking is a bit tight, then I get out and check.:Eeek:

When I first got truck,I would sometimes check distance at rear, then use a couple of stones to place next to drivers door at correct distance apart and use them as my guide. Its amazing how accurate you can be!:Smile:

Of course use what ever method gets you into safely into the parking space, so you can get on with enjoying yourself.::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back