Zeebrugge to Provence (1 Viewer)

Sep 26, 2010
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2009
We are planning a month long trip starting mid June. We'd like a leisurely trip from Zeebrugge to the Provence region (allowing 4/5 days) and would welcome any advice on best places to stop en-route, both on the way down and also sites/aires when in Provence.

Also, :Cool: we currently have a 13Kg and a 6Kg Calor gas bottle. - any advice please on what to do when in France on extended stays? Is it possible to just change our regulators to Camping Gaz (or whatever)? Are they compatible with Calor gas burner devices?

Many thanks
:thumb:

Deleted User
If you plan to use aires then I would buy the 'All the Aires' from Vicarious Books, we don't use Aires so can't recommend any but en route the Cevennes and the Auvergne are worth a look.North of Provence is an area called the Baronnies,we have stopped at Buis-Les-Baronnies, the scenery is stunning, lots of Aires and sites.

I would think your gas would last for a month even using Aires, if your M'home does not have a bulkhead regulator using camping gaz is not a problem..expensive though. Just need the regulator for the camping gaz bottle.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
hi, at this time of year the gas you will use will be minimal unless you are running your fridge for extended periods on gas. we did 5 weeks last year and used 6kgs only. but mainly on hook up.
you can get an adaptor that fits the POL left hand thread on your pigtail that will fit a French bottle costs about a £10.

if you are travelling down the eastern side of France there are some stops we have used:

guignicort, 10 mins off motorway and about 2.5 hrs from Calais

lac de orient near Troyes site or aire

lac de liez just outside Langres

Camping Tournus in Tournus

all nice sites chosen for walks and a view.

we are off again in 8 days ( not counting "much" ) for 7 weeks

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

163phil

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Kenilworth
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Still only a year after many years camping
Camping Les Pres in Aups. Lovely little site and a lovely little town. Good base for Gorge du Verdon and the Riviera, Monaco etc. (Our favourite site):Smile:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We are planning a month long trip starting mid June. We'd like a leisurely trip from Zeebrugge to the Provence region (allowing 4/5 days) and would welcome any advice on best places to stop en-route, both on the way down and also sites/aires when in Provence.

Also, :Cool: we currently have a 13Kg and a 6Kg Calor gas bottle. - any advice please on what to do when in France on extended stays? Is it possible to just change our regulators to Camping Gaz (or whatever)? Are they compatible with Calor gas burner devices?

Many thanks

Sorry to go off topic but why are you going to Zeebrugge???:Eeek:

As for sites, I can certainly confirm that the Lac d'Orient is a great place to stop - MHs park up on the car park overnight and it's lovely and peaceful. :thumb:

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
Ginny and I have just returned from our first eight week "Grand Tour" down through France to Spain and back again. We have 11KG of re-fillable and a 6KG calor lite. We used heating on the way down, the fridge a fair bit, hot water and the gas BBQ lots. The re-fillable is almost empy but I have only used a little of the calor lite...so you should have have no gas worries!

As mentioned, get 'All the Aires' from Vacarious Books; the Aires are simply wonderful, easy to find, welcoming and in some simply stunning locations. You can upload them as points of interest on your Sat Nav or simply enter the GPS Co-ordinance from the book. The only difficulty we initially encountered was that to get water some Aires require a couple of euro tokens which we could'nt initially source, but if you make sure you always have some water on board it will not be a problem. Some of the Aires we used had water, waste dump and electricity...all free!

In June you should also be able to find some off peak ACSI sites which would save you lots on site fee's. It's a brilliant little book and you can get that from Vacarious as well, I think, although we got our copy through the Caravan Club.

I envy you...have fun, we cannot wait until September when we're going again! One thing I would say is get some good road atlas maps etc and don't just rely on Sat Nav...(other readers will know what I mean:Doh:) Sat Nav is great but nothing beats planning each days leg before you set off!!!

Have fun...Dave

Last edited:
OP
OP
johnandi
Sep 26, 2010
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2009
Sorry to go off topic but why are you going to Zeebrugge???:Eeek:

As for sites, I can certainly confirm that the Lac d'Orient is a great place to stop - MHs park up on the car park overnight and it's lovely and peaceful. :thumb:

Thanks Mel/Minx for the confirmation of the Lac d'Orient site. As with most motorhomers we do like to wander and see where we get but also like to have a focus and somewhere to aim for - the site sounds ideal.

As for Zeebrugge - well, good point actually! Up until now we have been in full time employment so time has always been of the essence - hence we're still 'programmed' into this mindset. Also, we live in North Wales and the 2+ hour journey to Hull is preferable to the 6 hours to Dover and gets us on 't continent fresh. Plus, we have Avios points (Tesco airmiles) which are accepted by P&O................However, we've both just retired ::bigsmile: (more or less!) so you've made us realise we do actually have more time available!
Consequently we had a rethink, re-calculated costs (and time) and have just booked with P&O ferries Dover/Calais, used up a fraction of the Avios points and for £0! (plus fuel of course but still considerably cheaper) So, a big THANK you!! :thumb:

OP
OP
johnandi
Sep 26, 2010
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2009
Ginny and I have just returned from our first eight week "Grand Tour" down through France to Spain and back again. We have 11KG of re-fillable and a 6KG calor lite. We used heating on the way down, the fridge a fair bit, hot water and the gas BBQ lots. The re-fillable is almost empy but I have only used a little of the calor lite...so you should have have no gas worries!

As mentioned, get 'All the Aires' from Vacarious Books; the Aires are simply wonderful, easy to find, welcoming and in some simply stunning locations. You can upload them as points of interest on your Sat Nav or simply enter the GPS Co-ordinance from the book. The only difficulty we initially encountered was that to get water some Aires require a couple of euro tokens which we could'nt initially source, but if you make sure you always have some water on board it will not be a problem. Some of the Aires we used had water, waste dump and electricity...all free!

In June you should also be able to find some off peak ACSI sites which would save you lots on site fee's. It's a brilliant little book and you can get that from Vacarious as well, I think, although we got our copy through the Caravan Club.

I envy you...have fun, we cannot wait until September when we're going again! One thing I would say is get some good road atlas maps etc and don't just rely on Sat Nav...(other readers will know what I mean:Doh:) Sat Nav is great but nothing beats planning each days leg before you set off!!!

Have fun...Dave

Hi Dave,
Thanks for the advice - 8 weeks away!! - I can only dream, but....one day (soon!).
We've got the All Aires book from last year so OK on that front but we'll take your advice on renewing our 2012 ACSI book (didn't actually use it much last year BUT we were away peak season so will try again).
We'll also follow yours (and others) advice about getting a decent map. We've used an 'All Europe' one up til now but I agree it's not detailed enough.
Also, after reading the 'Final Pitch' article in Junes MMM think we're going to invest in the TomTom 'EU Camper Map' (£79.00) to avoid any nasty surprises round (hairpin) corners in the alps!

Regards
John :Smile:

OP
OP
johnandi
Sep 26, 2010
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks to you all for your helpful and constructive comments and advice.
It's definitely comforting to know that the gas will last the duration after all, and for the advice from Phill D in case it doesn't (thanks Phil), but I'm now sure it will be ok.
The suggested sites and stopovers will give me something to seek out when our new map arrives!

Again, thanks all for the advice,
John and Diane
:thanks2::france:

OP
OP
johnandi
Sep 26, 2010
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2009
hi, at this time of year the gas you will use will be minimal unless you are running your fridge for extended periods on gas. we did 5 weeks last year and used 6kgs only. but mainly on hook up.
you can get an adaptor that fits the POL left hand thread on your pigtail that will fit a French bottle costs about a £10.

if you are travelling down the eastern side of France there are some stops we have used:

guignicort, 10 mins off motorway and about 2.5 hrs from Calais

lac de orient near Troyes site or aire

lac de liez just outside Langres

Camping Tournus in Tournus

all nice sites chosen for walks and a view.

we are off again in 8 days ( not counting "much" ) for 7 weeks

THnaks Phill,
The site South of Calais will now be useful on the return leg ready for a dart into the wine stores next morning before jumping on the ferry!.
:Cool:

OP
OP
johnandi
Sep 26, 2010
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2009
If you plan to use aires then I would buy the 'All the Aires' from Vicarious Books, we don't use Aires so can't recommend any but en route the Cevennes and the Auvergne are worth a look.North of Provence is an area called the Baronnies,we have stopped at Buis-Les-Baronnies, the scenery is stunning, lots of Aires and sites.

I would think your gas would last for a month even using Aires, if your M'home does not have a bulkhead regulator using camping gaz is not a problem..expensive though. Just need the regulator for the camping gaz bottle.

Many thanks Matamoros,
We'll certainly look at Buis-Les-Baronnies - sounds a perfect place to spend a few days.

OP
OP
johnandi
Sep 26, 2010
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2009
Camping Les Pres in Aups. Lovely little site and a lovely little town. Good base for Gorge du Verdon and the Riviera, Monaco etc. (Our favourite site):Smile:

Thanks Phil,
Just had a look at Camping Les Pres, excellent location AND it's listed in the ASCI book (2012), sounds good!
:Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back