(internet) last thing to sort before the off (1 Viewer)

jacken

Free Member
Dec 9, 2007
kent
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
8 years
Hi,

We are off very, very shortly but the one thing I have'nt sorted is internet access whilst abroad. I will obviously cancel my current ISP with BT and once abroad I can use wifi hot spots. But what do I do about an email address?. Can I keep my existing email address and just use that abroad or do I have to get a new one from somewhere? Everything seems so complicated.

many thanks.

ken

Beachbum

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Hamburg / Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
40 Years
If you cancel your ISP with BT you will not be able to use the identical e-mail address. You must have an ISP and create another e-mail address.

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
Hi

Thats not entirely true Beachbum. I was with AOL. When I cancelled my contract with them they offered me a service so that I could have access to my aol email address for £2 a month. I did this until I was sure I had migrated everyone I needed to over to my new email address.

There are a number of ways of having an email address not linked to an isp Ted. I use Gmail. The difference between Gmail and say Hotmail is that anyone can create a hotmail address simply by going to the hotmail web address and creating one. This sadly leads to a lot of spam. Gmail was created by google and you have to be invited to join, if you want an invite let me know. Then when you want to check/write your emails you simply go to google and check them. To go to google you simply put the google web address into the url bar just as you do with motorhomefun. When you get to google you then put your username and password into it.

The third option, and a little bit more complicated to set up is to buy a domain address, some web space (cost about £20 a year) and then you can create your own email addresses. For example if you were able to register www.jacken.co.uk you could then have Ken@jacken.co.uk as your email address. The only real advantage of this is that to get ken@google.co.uk will more than likely not be possible.

stew

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

K

klaatu

Deleted User
Good suggestion to use Google Mail, Stew, and you don't need an invite for it any more, it's been completely open for over a year now!

One other thing worth pointing out about Google Mail is that you don't have to use it just as webmail, you can retrieve your mail with an ordinary mail client using POP3 or IMAP, and send using SMTP.

Steve

Beachbum

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Hamburg / Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
40 Years
Hi Stew, I was under the impression that Ken wanted to change his e-mail address from BT to another Provider. Yes, I agree if you stay with the same Provider you can retain your e-mail address. Perhaps, I misunderstood. I am not really conversant with this matter. I know I have had an e-mail address refused by Providers because it has been taken by someone else, that someone else being me.

elliot

Free Member
Dec 29, 2007
Woking
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
one

I changed my ISP from BT and believe it or not my BT e-mail is still alive and working so keep checking on it

Dawn

Free Member
Dec 7, 2007
Merseyside.
Funster No
MH
Hightop.
Exp
17yrs.
I changed my ISP from BT and believe it or not my BT e-mail is still alive and working so keep checking on it

Us too, We swapped our ISP from BT 3wks ago.
Now we just go to BT Yahoo, enter our BT Addy & password and get our mail with no problems :Smile:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Good suggestion to use Google Mail, Stew, and you don't need an invite for it any more, it's been completely open for over a year now!

One other thing worth pointing out about Google Mail is that you don't have to use it just as webmail, you can retrieve your mail with an ordinary mail client using POP3 or IMAP, and send using SMTP.

Steve

Google mail is great, All my accounts forward to the one google email account leaving me just that account to check. I download mail to Outlook via a Google pop 3 box and make sure a copy stays with google as a backup. Couldn't be easier, and being able to check mail from anywhere is a real bonus. GoogleMail Rocks:thumb:

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
Hi Jim

I do the same - all gmail (the same as google) into one gmail account. To be honest I am being lazy asking you because I have not looked into it but say you had three gmail accounts and accounts 2 and 3 all filter into number 1 account. If you than answered an email sent to account 3 from account 1 it would then come from account 1. Do you know how you shield the address?

Hope the above makes sense :RollEyes:

stew

OP
OP
J

jacken

Free Member
Dec 9, 2007
kent
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
8 years
Thanks for all your replies. Can I get this straight in my head. If I cancel with BT in the UK, then when abroad, set up a Google account, I can still access my existing email address with BT. I am still confused.

ken

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
Hi Ken

No. Google will be a completely new email address for you. Your BT one might, with the sounds of things still work. If you log onto the internet via a mobile modem or in an internet cafe and then go to BT.com or what ever takes you to the BT homepage and then put in your username and password then you should, with the sounds of things access your BT email. You must remember to log off afterwards of course otherwisew the next user will get on as well.

stew

OP
OP
J

jacken

Free Member
Dec 9, 2007
kent
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
8 years
Thanks for that 'Artona'. All clear in my mind now. I cancel BT in the UK, but will still be able to log in when abroad and still get the emails. But I set up a complete new email account with Google and use that with a new email address.

Many thanks for all the replies.

ken

elliot

Free Member
Dec 29, 2007
Woking
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
one
No need to do anything really, just go to the BT Yahoo site put in your onfo and away you go using your BT e-mail. No need to open any other e-mail addresses
Elliot

bmwtouring

Free Member
Apr 17, 2008
Uxbridge
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
First Motorhome
yahoo

if you go to Yahoo! UK & Ireland,
click on Free mail: Sign Up
you can get yourself an e-mail address any name of your choice if it is available, if not they will suggest one automatically and this can be accessed anywhere in the world and through any isp by just going to yahoo homepage.
Kev

wilecoyote

Free Member
Aug 2, 2007
Leicester, UK
Funster No
Google mail is great

Isn't it just?

Anyway, for those that do use Gmail, it may be worth mentioning that you can grab the Gmail Notifier here...

Gmail Notifier

Which will save you the bother of looking to see if you have new emails.

They also do a rather nifty email client/app for those with Symbian based mobile phones :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back