Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Just thought I would share our simple day :Smile:
Well what we thought would be a couple of hours work has ended up taking just under 6 :Eeek:A few weeks ago the boss decided that the cab area carpet had seen better days and wanted it changed :thumb:Last week I went out and bought some carpet to do just that :thumb: but SWMBO decided that it was different and one block colour (it will show all the dog hairs when the mutt lays on it :Sad:)I should have got something with a pattern on :Smile:Nearest to the colour I could find says I ::bigsmile:
Myself and mate decided to take out the old carpet and underfelt/lay and renew it all :thumb:Two layers of underlay then carpet on top :thumb: This entailed removing the seats and swivels so that instead of just cutting around them we could simply fasten them all down on top of the new carpet and rebolt the seatbelt bottom anchor to the floor, and recarpet the boxes for the swivel bases :thumb:All went well untill we came to bolt the seats back down when we found that the bolts were not long enough to go through the extra underlay and carpet :Eeek:EVER TRIED STICKING A SCREWDRIVER THOUGH THE FELT AND CARPET TO LOCATE THE BOLT HOLES,then trying to make holes in said carpet and felt to feed the bolts through :Doh:::bigsmile: NEXT TIME IT GETS CUT AROUND THE SEATS :thumb: After much squashing and pushing we finally managed to fix the seats and belt bits leaving us to simply cut and glue the carpet onto the seat box bases :thumb: Then disaster :whatthe: as we were struggling to cut and glue the carpet in place on the last 6 ins of base carpet, my mate caught the spray glue can with the stanley knife ::bigsmile: covering us and the nice new carpet in glue plus a few plants in the side garden as we tried to limit the damage from glue spraying all over :ROFLMAO: by throwng it out of the van door ::bigsmile:We spent the next 20 mins cleaning ourselves from the glue which sticks to everything you touch.Then we found we had no more glue and we were only about 6 ins short of finishing so we decided we may be able to cut open the offending tin and salvage some glue only to find as soon as we touched the tin it started spraying us in glue agian :Smile:As it was covering us yet again Paul decided to make use of it and sprayed it more or less where it was required (plus where not required:winky:)before throwing it back into the plants ---job done :thumb: Then the big clean up :Eeek:::bigsmile:
terry

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
MATE:thumb:

See!:Doh: you made the mistake of not planning you epic:RollEyes:

At least a week before you and your mate should 'ave sat down, cracked a few Ambers, and once you've taken the empties to the Skip, this!:thumb:If you've done the planning properly will take a couple of trips,

Then:thumb: Phoned a Carpet Fitter while you and yer mate gathered another couple of loads of empties:thumb:

Toughen up Funster!(AND! where's yer Angle Grinder)

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
Just thought I would share our simple day :Smile:
Well what we thought would be a couple of hours work has ended up taking just under 6 :Eeek:A few weeks ago the boss decided that the cab area carpet had seen better days and wanted it changed :thumb:Last week I went out and bought some carpet to do just that :thumb: but SWMBO decided that it was different and one block colour (it will show all the dog hairs when the mutt lays on it :Sad:)I should have got something with a pattern on :Smile:Nearest to the colour I could find says I ::bigsmile:
Myself and mate decided to take out the old carpet and underfelt/lay and renew it all :thumb:Two layers of underlay then carpet on top :thumb: This entailed removing the seats and swivels so that instead of just cutting around them we could simply fasten them all down on top of the new carpet and rebolt the seatbelt bottom anchor to the floor, and recarpet the boxes for the swivel bases :thumb:All went well untill we came to bolt the seats back down when we found that the bolts were not long enough to go through the extra underlay and carpet :Eeek:EVER TRIED STICKING A SCREWDRIVER THOUGH THE FELT AND CARPET TO LOCATE THE BOLT HOLES,then trying to make holes in said carpet and felt to feed the bolts through :Doh:::bigsmile: NEXT TIME IT GETS CUT AROUND THE SEATS :thumb: After much squashing and pushing we finally managed to fix the seats and belt bits leaving us to simply cut and glue the carpet onto the seat box bases :thumb: Then disaster :whatthe: as we were struggling to cut and glue the carpet in place on the last 6 ins of base carpet, my mate caught the spray glue can with the stanley knife ::bigsmile: covering us and the nice new carpet in glue plus a few plants in the side garden as we tried to limit the damage from glue spraying all over :ROFLMAO: by throwng it out of the van door ::bigsmile:We spent the next 20 mins cleaning ourselves from the glue which sticks to everything you touch.Then we found we had no more glue and we were only about 6 ins short of finishing so we decided we may be able to cut open the offending tin and salvage some glue only to find as soon as we touched the tin it started spraying us in glue agian :Smile:As it was covering us yet again Paul decided to make use of it and sprayed it more or less where it was required (plus where not required:winky:)before throwing it back into the plants ---job done :thumb: Then the big clean up :Eeek:::bigsmile:
terry

Great story sounds like Laurel & Hardy to me, thats if you can remember that far back

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
They were just good friends, but thanks to this job they've really bonded

Spenders

Free Member
Jan 19, 2013
Tadcaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2013
Aah...... so I'm not the only one who has days like that!

You still gonna let the hound lay on your new carpet? LOL :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
similar incident....but not as bad.

the dash radio bezel was broken and the radio would disappear into thedash at the slightest push.

Araldite...the modellers answer to everything.

so, with a small plastic tray full of the stuff i proceed to glue the bezel in place without glueing the radio to the dash panel.

severe concentration took effect and all else was forgotten.

including where i was resting my wooly jumpered arm.

still havent got the cured araldite out of my favourite jumper sleeve. :Doh::Sad:

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
:Smile: not a glue story, but one involving a large take away latte and lid, that I balanced on top of the dash while I climbed in, only to knock it over, tip off the lid and watch the entire contents disappear down behind the dashboard, right above the speedo and glug, glug, glug later as it starts to wind its way through all crevisis and drips out over the floor in varying places:Doh: it even ran down the steering colum and dripped out over the front wheel:Doh:

They say the smell of fresh coffee adds to the morning ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back