Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
When a motorhome comes to the UK.

Fitted with satelite tv.

Does he need a TV Licence for the UK?

If not does a fulltime motorhomer in the UK need a TV Licence?

Mel

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
If you watch UK sourced tv channels at the time of broadcast then you need a TV licence. If you only use your TV for watching recorded content then you don't need a licence.

Technically I would say if the foreigner is watching UK content TV then he should have a licence but the reality is who would know? Therefore he's not likely to get done for it.

As a full timer UK resident then paragraph 1 applies.

D.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
If you watch UK sourced tv channels at the time of broadcast then you need a TV licence.
D.

Are you 100% sure on this ? I thought it was "if you are equipped to watch UK channels". If you have a TV receiver and aerial then they assume you watch it.

You'd expect an exemption for foreign visitors but "they" may have framed the law long before foreign visitors came equipped to watch UK TV.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
100% certain Brian, they altered the rules slightly so that you no longer need a licence just to own the equipment but you do if you watch TV from UK sources at the time it is broadcast, i.e. live TV. A friend of mine has a 52" plasma TV in his lounge licensing people gave him a hard time recently till he pointed out it only has an analogue tuner and as that is all now switched off he cannot possibly watch live TV on it .

D.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I think Brian is correct on this. If you have equipment capable then you need one.

As your friends Large tv wasn't capable of receiving broadcast tv he was exempt. If the old analogue tv service was still running I think they would have got him...

I don't recall them changing the rules from capability to actual usage :Confused:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
my understanding is that you only need a licence if you actually watch or record live TV .. you don't need one for just owning the equipment ...

From The Gov web site ,

The law states that you need to be covered by a TV Licence[HI] if you watch or record[/HI] television programmes, on any device, as they're being shown on TV. This includes TVs, computers, mobile phones, games consoles, digital boxes and Blu-ray/DVD/VHS recorders.

You don't need a licence if you don't use any of these devices to watch or record television programmes as they're being shown on TV - for example, if you use your TV only to watch DVDs or play video games, or you only watch ‘catch up’ services like BBC iPlayer or 4oD.

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
I have just bought a licence for our lodge in the lakes.
If you have a licence at home it covers the holiday home as long as you cannot be using both at once, however if you are at the holiday home and someone is back at home watching tv then you can be done for it.
As we are letting ths lodge for a 12 week period we have to have a licence.
They should do away with them and the BBC shoulx make their money by advertising.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
One things for sure and that the law applying to TV licences is as complicated as ever :Doh:

I've probably searched the same sites on Google as everyone else and most of the info is down to how we interpret it and can lead to much confusion :cry:

I searched and found this as its the closest it gets to telling the readers if a motorhome requires one or not......:Doh:

You have a look and then decide.......

Link Removed

As to whether a visitor to our shores requires one, there is nothing written anywhere that suggests a licence is required.....good to see its as confusing as ever :thumb::thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If you watch UK sourced tv channels at the time of broadcast then you need a TV licence. If you only use your TV for watching recorded content then you don't need a licence.

Technically I would say if the foreigner is watching UK content TV then he should have a licence but the reality is who would know? Therefore he's not likely to get done for it.

As a full timer UK resident then paragraph 1 applies.

D.
Sorry Dave, you are wrong.....unless the receiver circuitry has been removed completely.

ANY devise CAPABLE OF RECEIVING live tv broadcasts needs a TV LICENCE whether receiving or not.

this includes video/dvd recorders...even if there is no tv connected, TV enabled computers and even mobile phones.

As to visitors needing a licence....do you buy one when visiting France, it only costs €121 per year.

Last edited:

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
QUOTE=pappajohn;767095]Sorry Dave, you are wrong.the receiver circuitry has been removed completely.

ANY devise CAPABLE OF RECEIVING live tv broadcasts needs a TV LICENCE whether receiving or not.

this includes video/dvd recorders...even if there is no tv connected, TV enabled computers and even mobile phones.

As to visitors needing a licence....do you buy one when visiting France, it only costs €121 per year.
[/QUOTE]

Sorry to disagree with you PJ but I'm correct on this

" You need to be covered by a valid TV Licence if you watch or record TV as it's being broadcast. This includes the use of devices such as a computer, laptop, mobile phone or DVD/video recorder." from the TV licensing website and here's the web address so you can read it yourself

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/

The rules as you describe them are as it used to be but it changed, I don't know when but it did. As we sell TV reception equipment we are registered with the licensing authorities, we don't have to have a license for the workshop as receiving equipent is only used for demonstration not entertainment use.

D.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
But surely whatever the law is ( and I haven't got a clue) there is no risk whatsoever of the licensing authorities catching up with foreign Motorhomers watching TV?

No risk either I suspect if you are based in the UK and move around.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
QUOTE=pappajohn;767095]Sorry Dave, you are wrong.the receiver circuitry has been removed completely.

Sorry to disagree with you PJ but I'm correct on this

" You need to be covered by a valid TV Licence if you watch or record TV as it's being broadcast. This includes the use of devices such as a computer, laptop, mobile phone or DVD/video recorder." from the TV licensing website and here's the web address so you can read it yourself

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/

The rules as you describe them are as it used to be but it changed, I don't know when but it did. As we sell TV reception equipment we are registered with the licensing authorities, we don't have to have a license for the workshop as receiving equipent is only used for demonstration not entertainment use.

D.

my sincere apologies Dave, you are correct and i was confusing the old and new. :Blush:

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
But surely whatever the law is ( and I haven't got a clue) there is no risk whatsoever of the licensing authorities catching up with foreign Motorhomers watching TV?

No risk either I suspect if you are based in the UK and move around.

not much risk to uk based campers either.

my understanding is the tv detector vans only target addresses which are on record as not having a licence.
you try buying a licence without an address to put on the front...motorhomes are mobile by their very nature and dont have an address.

of course, the licence for your home tv covers use in your van as well....providing nobody is watching tv at your house at the same time, in which case you need two licences.:Doh:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I have just bought a licence for our lodge in the lakes.
If you have a licence at home it covers the holiday home as long as you cannot be using both at once, however if you are at the holiday home and someone is back at home watching tv then you can be done for it.
As we are letting ths lodge for a 12 week period d have to have a licence.
They should do away with them and the BBC shoulx make their money by advertising.
you mean more advertising than they do now....there is an awful lot of product placement/endorsement in Aunty,s programs.

but of course, they dont receive a penny from the product manufacturers...do they . :RollEyes:

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
not much risk to uk based campers either.

[HI]my understanding is the tv detector vans only target addresses which are on record [/HI]as not having a licence.
you try buying a licence without an address to put on the front...motorhomes are mobile by their very nature and dont have an address.

of course, the licence for your home tv covers use in your van as well....providing nobody is watching tv at your house at the same time, in which case you need two licences.:Doh:

That's the problem we have with our lodge, previous owner let all the time and had a licence, therefore we received a reminder to get one.
Previous lodge we owned we didn't bother with a licence and nobody knew.
Ah well it's only £145 a year wont break the bank.

OP
OP
Mel

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
The reason i posted this was
A friend of mine asked me if he needed one for the UK.

I had never thought about it.

Tried to find the answer on google had cant find any information
Regarding visitors to the UK.

Thanks for all the coments.

Mel
ps
I will get one on my next visit to the UK:ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!