Twitter - Whats your name? - @mhfun (1 Viewer)

Mar 22, 2011
NE Wales
Funster No
MH
Chausson Best of 10
Exp
Since Feb 2013….2nd Van
This post is primarily aimed at members who are already using twitter and not about the pro's and con's of it.

We had a discussion about twitter and its relevance to MHFun a year or so ago. I use twitter all the time, mainly as a tool to keep abreast of local information, as an example during the recent poor weather our local police and road agencies used it heavily to advise about road closures etc. Surely this has a crossover possibility for us members of this site. We are based all over the UK and into Europe, the potential for a dedicated twitter network based on MHF, updating fellow members about weather, sites, crime, ferry crossings, MH related problems whilst on the move etc, seems like a no-brainer.

The advantage of twitter is because each user is linked into their own networks, they can quickly pick up info thats useful and retweet to MHF members. We all have a shared interest, so we know whats useful and what isn't.

Jim advises me that the site already has a dedicated twitter name - @mhfun So initially those who are interested should follow that name, which would be the hub. Then its really down to members to pass on info, probably using the #mhfun tag. Incidentally Jim already has 260 odd followers!

My own twitter is: @jimmykranke

If it fails miserably, no problem, better to have tried...blah blah blah :thumb:

Last edited:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Good Idea:thumb:

I used twitter once when the site was down so I could let people know about the progress. except i think it was only Siân following us then:Blush: We do have a lot more followers now, so if you are a tweeter it probably is a good idea to follow us. Twitter is a great way to let people quickly know what is going on. I find i'm using it more and more.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I did open an account when this site went down as Jim says.

Not used it since though and cant recall the name I used:Doh:

Now a regular poster on the sister site tw@tter::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
@emg46 I use twitter to keep in touch with friends and family, sports updates and chit chat. :Smile:

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
I find twitter is good for getting information.
My local council/police are always putting out updates.
Last year going to the F1 GP at Silverstone, it was invaluable, in the bad weather and traffic chaos, they kept pushing out information so at least there was a quick way of knowing what was happening. The ferry companies also tweet if there are problems etc.

Much of the twitter feed is just marketing, I tend to stop following anyone that just keeps telling me how good they are!
@detnor

OP
OP
journeyman
Mar 22, 2011
NE Wales
Funster No
MH
Chausson Best of 10
Exp
Since Feb 2013….2nd Van
Agree about the marketing, I will follow companies as long as they provide non commercial advice within their tweets. Hopefully by using the #mhfun for retweets, we can keep it targeted. I've been looking through Jim's contacts and some others, picking up a few with similar interests.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I now have two Twitter accounts... one connected to my life before retirement and one I just set up after reading this thread and I do not know how to use either of them...:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Help needed!

JJ :Cool:

Last edited:

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
My personal account is @steveclecy which I have but few followers (cannot blame them really - I rarely "tweet") but I am the main "tweeter" on our local Police account @EportNestonNPU and am pleased that with regular updates have managed to increase followers from a measly 72 when I was invited to start updating just on a year ago to a current 582 (and growing).

I do have to say that I visit this site a whole lot more than Twitter but that is because no-one is restricted to 140 characters per post!

Steve

Last edited:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
My personal account is @steveclecy which I have but few followers (cannot blame them really - I rarely "tweet") but I am the main "tweeter" on our local Police

They are Now:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I opened one a couple of years ago and never signed in since as couldn't see the point, might speak to Sophie and ask her to set me up a new one:ROFLMAO:

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
Anyone who does use Twitter or who is considering doing so I urge you to follow @Cmdr_Hadfield who gives regular updates from the International Space Station and there are many wonderful pictures and Youtube video links from space.

Steve

OP
OP
journeyman
Mar 22, 2011
NE Wales
Funster No
MH
Chausson Best of 10
Exp
Since Feb 2013….2nd Van
I now have two Twitter accounts... one connected to my life before retirement and one I just set up after reading this thread and I do not know how to use either of them...:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Help needed!

JJ :Cool:

I will try JJ, but its not the easiest thing to initially get your head around.

Think of Twitter as a tickertape of news, comments and views constantly coming onto your web browser, each message is called a "Tweet". However you will only get that Tweet from individuals that your interested in. So its like having a newspaper, but only having stories that float your boat.

Each news item is restricted to 140 characters, which is actually a good thing, as Tweeters need to keep their messages, succinct and to the point. The tweet may also have images attached or a link to a website page or online link. You as a tweeter can also post your own views, comments,stories, again you are restricted to 140 characters.

If you like a tweet you receive and think it will be useful to like minded people you can pass it on to them. This is called "Retweeting".

If you wanted to aim the story at a particular group, such as MH fun, you use a # followed by the group name within the message....so #mhfun for this site. Or if about Man United as another example #mufc or about Portugal #portugal

So anyone entering #mhfun into the twitter search box would see your post.

Heres an example of a message I retweeted earlier:

“@TrafficWalesN: A55 : Eastbound : J31 Prestatyn/Caerwys to J33A Northop : Road closed : Diversion : 29/04/13-02/05/13 1830-0200 :” #mhfun

Basically I received the initial message from Traffic Wales (@trafficWalesN), a gov agency via twitter because I follow them. I then retweeted it, including the tag #mhfun, then anyone who is searching on #mhfun would also get to read it, whether they are following me or not.

You "Follow" people or groups you are interested in. You can also instantly "Unfollow" I would suggest you start off with some large groups first...perhaps a well known individual or news organisation....then add in a couple of members off here to get used to it.

Its a brilliant tool for keeping in touch with what is going on...If anyone can improve on this explanation...pse jump in and help.

Jmn

Last edited:

Gaz

Free Member
Nov 25, 2007
cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since june 2005
i use twitter for about a year mainly when i have updated my website and have been following @mhfun for about 9 months

i am @Gaz43couk

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Thank you Journey Man...

There is 1 thing I really don't understand though...

Who the hell are "Man U"?

Do they make fertiliser?

JJ. :Cool:

Ps. @jjwagon (I think...)

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
ok, quick question. If I join this twatter thing and follow #mhfun and some eejit keeps posting crap I have no interest in. Can I block the eejit and keep the rest of #mhfun?

I actually deal with internet stuff all the time by trade but I have managed steer clear of "social media" hype so far.

I was forced into facebook by my sister as keeping up to date with the family but it has since expanded to just over 100 people half of whom I have no recollection of ever meeting. I am on the verge of dumping it and telling my sister she has two choices. Text me or email me if it is important....

I don't want to end up with another HUGE waste of my time...

If I can join #mhfun and then block the eejits I may well do it though....

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
ok, quick question. If I join this twatter thing and follow #mhfun and some eejit keeps posting crap I have no interest in. Can I block the eejit and keep the rest of #mhfun?

I actually deal with internet stuff all the time by trade but I have managed steer clear of "social media" hype so far.

I was forced into facebook by my sister as keeping up to date with the family but it has since expanded to just over 100 people half of whom I have no recollection of ever meeting. I am on the verge of dumping it and telling my sister she has two choices. Text me or email me if it is important....

I don't want to end up with another HUGE waste of my time...

If I can join #mhfun and then block the eejits I may well do it though....
Don't do it ! Stand yer ground!

s7ev0

Funster
May 31, 2010
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit
Exp
Since 2009
Would it be worth adding a Twitter field to the contact section of members' profiles? Then if anyone wanted to follow another member on Twitter they'd just have to look up their profile.

Steve :Smile:
(@BritStops)

OP
OP
journeyman
Mar 22, 2011
NE Wales
Funster No
MH
Chausson Best of 10
Exp
Since Feb 2013….2nd Van

If it catches on #mhfun would hopefully become redundant as use of twitter becomes more popular amongst members. Its a search term, so I think you have to physically do the the search(i might be wrong).

I'm hoping that Jim or one of the other "sensible" members would retweet anything of interest. So if you were following Jim and a small number of other funsters you would get to see whats of interest.

Its not like Facebook, its a much more powerful tool, but very simple. Its all about the use of language and whats relevant to you. Plus you can choose instantly to stop following someone or even block them.

What i'm trying to do at the moment is build up a network of site members who are already using it. If newcomers hop on, great.

OP
OP
journeyman
Mar 22, 2011
NE Wales
Funster No
MH
Chausson Best of 10
Exp
Since Feb 2013….2nd Van
Anyone who does use Twitter or who is considering doing so I urge you to follow @Cmdr_Hadfield who gives regular updates from the International Space Station and there are many wonderful pictures and Youtube video links from space.

Steve

Brilliant Steve, bizarre to think we have comms with a guy in space. My missus was well chuffed as he had posted pictures of her home area on the North Antrim coast. I'm surprised he has so few followers comparatively. Perhaps we need another thread
" Useful Twitter Feeds"

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Well I have signed up in the last hour @griffpopeye, and I'm starting to doubt the wisdom of that move.............reassure me please.......:roflmto:

OP
OP
journeyman
Mar 22, 2011
NE Wales
Funster No
MH
Chausson Best of 10
Exp
Since Feb 2013….2nd Van
For new members using twitter for the first time. You can look at other members profiles on twitter and see what they are following. This is often the best way of finding stuff you like. As an example I trawled through Jim's list yesterday and found some useful motorhome sites. I have to say, most of the MH Forums are way behind in using twitter, even the dark side. At the moment it seems to be populated by businesses selling products.

Also try your local area, I really got hooked when I found out how much local news and info was available. Search on your local town or police etc. You find that locals tweet stuff that is going on....central hubs such as police control rooms, town forums etc quickly retweet, so the passing of info is very much quicker than traditional means.

Also if you blog, you can have your updates automatically posted as a link onto twitter. Jim has posted a link on twitter to this thread, he can do that with any thread of particular interest.

Last edited:
May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
So, from the small number who use twitter, now the sub group that have a TomTom with twitter on it - has anyone ever found a use for being able to tweet from the tom tom the fact you are at somewhere - or am I missing the point (highly likely):roflmto:

OP
OP
journeyman
Mar 22, 2011
NE Wales
Funster No
MH
Chausson Best of 10
Exp
Since Feb 2013….2nd Van
So, from the small number who use twitter, now the sub group that have a TomTom with twitter on it - has anyone ever found a use for being able to tweet from the tom tom the fact you are at somewhere - or am I missing the point (highly likely):roflmto:

Hadn't heard of that. Looking at the Tom Tom Site :

"Use Twitter on your journey to keep your contacts up to date on your destination and arrival time

Use Twitter to keep your contacts up to date on your destination and arrival time. You can set your device to send a message automatically if your arrival time changes. So, even your most avid ‘followers’ can’t say they’re out of the loop."

Suppose its another tool that you can use Twitter for. Especially if your stuck in a traffic jam from hell

Last edited:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
seems a good way to close the forum through lack of interest as everyone migrates to twitter or FB

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back