Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Thought a poll on the subject would be interesting.

NOTE: Do not want to go into the "in's and out's" of using it or "politically correct" reasons for not using it.

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Jesus like busses these polls,not one for weeks then .......:shout::shout::shout:

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Vlad

Deckard

Free Member
Mar 26, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
...looking
Exp
Noob
Thought a poll on the subject would be interesting.

NOTE: Do not want to go into the "in's and out's" of using it or "politically correct" reasons for not using it.

i would - providing its sourced correctly...and its cheaper, no reason for it not to be. I have made my own until the take aways wanted me to pay for used oil :Angry:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

enery8

Free Member
Oct 11, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
FFB Tabbert Classic 660
Exp
towing for 20 odd years but now have our first motorhome.
I still make my own and pay for the used oil. :cry:
Its the price of the chemicals, that keep increasing, that might put me off.:Angry:
they seem the go up each time I order them.

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
Used to use all sorts of waste=oil etc. in the old MB608. No need to bother now, with 'Delyth' as diesel's so cheap here ... :Smile:

Apr 29, 2012
Holmfirth
Funster No
MH
1990 Gulfstream RV
Exp
30yrs
I make my own, and am a moderator on the vegatableoildiesel forum, helping others with production probs and general vehicle related problems. I certainly couldnt be off in my RV as much as we are if I didnt use biodiesel. Sad that the government has taken off the 20p per litre subsidy that commercial producers had, as now many have had to shut down, as continuing would have made biodiesel dearer than ordinary diesel. The green benefits of biodiesel are really good, with neutral Co2 [giving off only the small amount taken in by the plants growing], no sulphur dioxide, great reductions in soot and carbon monoxide etc. Just about all diesel engines will run well on well made biodiesel, despite what the doom and gloom brigade say. Biodiesel in the UK is made from large percentages of waste oil, which helps stop dumping down drains and such, which has long been a problem in cities for the water authorities. The only down side of using biodiesel is that it has poor cold qualities, and needs either winter additives, or using at a mix with standard diesel when it gets to minus zero conditions. As with anything new, there are those who will be for and against, but rudolph Diesel invented the diesel engine to run on peanut oil....and then they found fossil oil in vast quantities, so the new cheap fuel took over. Not so cheap now though.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
i tried it in a 2002 transit and within 2 days it was running like a dog new filter and tank full of shell cured it and didnt go back again

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
i tried it in a 2002 transit and within 2 days it was running like a dog new filter and tank full of shell cured it and didnt go back again

have use of same year/type van 2.0 weaned it onto bio (proper mix,not just Diesel and wvo mix)over a few runs then in cold w/x 75% bio/Diesel warm w/x 100% Bio van goes all over UK no probs ,also use it in 2.5 Cherokee jeep and camper :thumb:

OP
OP
Don Quixote

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
have use of same year/type van 2.0 weaned it onto bio (proper mix,not just Diesel and wvo mix)over a few runs then in cold w/x 75% bio/Diesel warm w/x 100% Bio van goes all over UK no probs ,also use it in 2.5 Cherokee jeep and camper :thumb:

Well at the moment I'm running 1 tank Bio and next tank diesel. Cannot say I have notice a great MPG difference.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Current EU spec is 7% max. "Bio" is generally above 20% as in B20. Pure biofuel is B100. Poor cold properties, can destroy some seals in the system but is a good lubricant (sulphur used to be the lubricant in old diesel; they had to introduce the lubricity test in EN590 when they introduced Ultra low sulphur fuel). Good stuff in the right motor, provided that it is local and not palm oil based or similar from Malaysia/Indonesia. I like it but would never use it in my 'van

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
Well at the moment I'm running 1 tank Bio and next tank diesel. Cannot say I have notice a great MPG difference.

I do wish people who say yes they do would let us know the type of engine they have. i.e is it a very modern common rail or the good old fashioned diesel in use for so many years.

I was(am!) under the impression that with modern en gines 100% is a no no.

Any further info?

bigmillie

Free Member
May 6, 2008
Camberley Surrey
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Classic C class
Exp
On/off since 1966
We run a very old Merc 207d and I have fitted a two tank system extra 30l tank for veg/bio

this is run through a home made heat exchanger with a system of solenoids which enables diesel or bio/veg at the touch of a switch.

This engine (616 2.5 L ) will run on anything oily and will run happily on straight vegetable oil from Tesco's at £1 a Liter

It seems to return the same 24/26 mpg as diesel

This has been in use for about 4 years now

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Yes. 100% in Merc 2.9td, VW 1.9td, VW 1.9 naturally aspirated. For a total of hundreds of thousands of miles, over several years. No problem whatsoever.

Apr 29, 2012
Holmfirth
Funster No
MH
1990 Gulfstream RV
Exp
30yrs
I do wish people who say yes they do would let us know the type of engine they have. i.e is it a very modern common rail or the good old fashioned diesel in use for so many years.

I was(am!) under the impression that with modern en gines 100% is a no no.

Any further info?

There is confusion over biodiesel and vegoil as fuel. All diesel engines should run OK on well made biodiesel, but only certain engines will be alright on vegoil. The criteria for vegoil is....bosch injection only. Indirect injection only, and not common rail or unit injection. There are a few exceptions to this but wont complicate it further. As for biodiesel in modern engines, the majority of vehicles currently on the road are common rail or unit injection, and thousands are running on 100% biodiesel. A local commercial producer has parcel vans as regular customers, and the owner runs a 2012 Rangerover on it. Some who have tried it and not faired well were probably not told that after the first 500mls, or two weeks, you should change the fuel filter, as bio fuel cleans the crap out of the tank and system. This is a one off procedure, and back to normal service changes afterwards.

mid4did

Free Member
Sep 29, 2012
N.somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp R 655 GT
Exp
started in a minivan 1970's when I could fit into it.
Some really good information coming out here,I run the 1994 1.9 td dethleffs on 50/50 wvo/diesel in the warmer months.I,ve got 3 sources,local football club(they all do sausage and chips after matches down this way)friends of my daughters who put their old oil back in the containers for me and a local seasonal ring doughnut stand,a bit sticky in the garage filtering into the old black plastic dustbins and then into 25 litre containers sourced from a car wash but instant 50% off the fuel bill for the camper:Smile:

Apr 29, 2012
Holmfirth
Funster No
MH
1990 Gulfstream RV
Exp
30yrs
If you make it yourself, and have regular supply of waste oil.....about £2500 a year, but if you have to buy it in, due to recent changes in the tax relegating it back to the same as fossil diesel, many are struggling to sell it now at £1.25 ltr. I must really stress that biodiesel is not the same as vegoil, and only certain vehicles, like the fiat just mentioned, can run on straight veg oil. If anyone is unsure if their vehicle can run on veg, then let me know, and I will try to give the answer, but common rail and PD or unit injection can not without a twin tank conversion.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back