Determining axle weights (1 Viewer)

Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
What's the best way of finding axle weights? Can any weigh bridge do this or does it need to be a special one to determine individual axle weights?

I thought it would be as easy as driving part way on, then fully , then part way off and checking that the sum of the first and last reading equals the overall weight but a local (non public) weigh bridge said this wouldn't work.

Tim

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
any weigh bridge will give overall weight and individual axle weights. just ask for the printout

OP
OP
timdownieuk
Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
any weigh bridge will give overall weight and individual axle weights. just ask for the printout

Um, I know of at least one that won't!

How do these other weighbridges work? Do they have separate weighing sections for each axle or us there a special procedure?

Tim

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
If the weighbridge is set level with the ground there should be no problem with weighing individual axles and checking with total weight. Errors can arise when the bridge is raised up and access is via a ramp.

OP
OP
timdownieuk
Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
If the weighbridge is set level with the ground there should be no problem with weighing individual axles and checking with total weight. Errors can arise when the bridge is raised up and access is via a ramp.
p

That was the case with the one I was at today. I could see how that might throw things off.

Is the procedure as I described in my first message then?

Tim

Deleted User
Um, I know of at least one that won't!

How do these other weighbridges work? Do they have separate weighing sections for each axle or us there a special procedure?

Tim

Most weighbridges operated by VOSA are dynamic axle bridges where you drive very slowly over a narrow plate. These are the recognised accurate way to check axle weights but VOSA and the police will use plate weighbridges when necessary.

Deleted User
p

That was the case with the one I was at today. I could see how that might throw things off.

Is the procedure as I described in my first message then?

Tim

The method you suggest is correct but some weighbridge operators might charge you for three separate weighings, best to check first.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Mine does 2 weights on one ticket, I did the two axles individually but wanted an overall weight so it meant a second printout. Charged me £10 altogether but that was 2 years ago when I wanted it for tyre pressures and peace of mind. :Smile:

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
Vosa and trading standards work together and have Axel weigh plates known as dynamic bridges we have one at gildersome Leeds owned and operated by trading standards it is 24 hours I usually nip up after 6 pm when they all gone and do it my self simple to use
Drive up to lights wait for green light drive as slow as possible over plate a display gives you axel weight then when last axel passes gives total make sure you have pen and paper no print out

I believe most counties have some thing similar
Check vosa site and trading standards for info

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I did mine last week at the local MOT station. The weights are determined on the rolling road used for brake testing. Just drive on, stop and take first weight, drive on again to locate rear axle and take the second weight. The tester didn't even charge me!

Needed the weights to work out tyre pressures, discovered my van was 110kg. overweight so I've been clearing junk out this past few days.

Rgds
Bill

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Just weigh the front or rear axle then put the whole motorhome on and you will have the 3 weights you require for 2 weighing s, Simples!

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Handy if you have an in ground weighbridge, our nearest is 50 miles away so MOT stations are handy.

Rgds
Bill

Vic

Aug 1, 2010
Funster No
Most council tips have a weighbridge. They normally only charge if you want a printout, but ours does not if you are willing to accept a written one instead. - and yes that is for axle and gross weight.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I went to our local scrapyard - sorry motor salvage company - who did front axle, rear axle and then total separately. Three nice tickets all showing good numbers. He actually apologised from behind his barred and bolted office window for all the low life hanging around as well. Cost me a tenner and money very well spent.:thumb:

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
What's the best way of finding axle weights? Can any weigh bridge do this or does it need to be a special one to determine individual axle weights?

I thought it would be as easy as driving part way on, then fully , then part way off and checking that the sum of the first and last reading equals the overall weight but a local (non public) weigh bridge said this wouldn't work.

Tim

Have a look at this site as its really helpful :thumb:

http://www.watling-towbars.co.uk/motorhome_axle_loads.html

:Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread