Alko air suspension help please (1 Viewer)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Hello all, newbie fool here again. I have a Hymer with Alko chassis, the manual makes no reference to what I think is air suspension. Beside the drivers seat in the exit well are 2 pressure guages, both have Alko on them hence my assumption they relate to the suspension. There appear to be 2 tyre type valves adjacent to the guages, the guage range is 0 - 8, not sure what units, one is bang on zero, the other is 2. Anybody out there got the same or have any ideas what it is, how it works and is mine right?

I have now decided never to buy anything so technical privately again, regardless of how cheap it might seem, I need too much hand holding!! and selling my old MH privately has been truly tiresome.

David

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
Don't drive it till you get some air in the 0 one you will damage the airbag
Set both pressures to equal say about 40 psi and check for leaks
I have mine set at 50 psi

billy

Free Member
Jan 10, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
since 2009
Mine is inflated by using a compressor yours sounds like you have to inflate it yourself with a pump.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
the 0 to 8 range will be in BAR...not PSI.

40psi is 2.75bar

inflate both to this pressure then see how the van 'rides'

might need more, might need less.

I run my rear Goodyear air bags at 60psi but the rear axle weight is around 5 tons.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
This follows on from a query I made on a thread regarding the Bailey Approach. Does air suspension give a better ride on an Alko chassis or should it not be necessary with the lower floor?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
This follows on from a query I made on a thread regarding the Bailey Approach. Does air suspension give a better ride on an Alko chassis or should it not be necessary with the lower floor?
air assist's primary function is to maintain correct ride height....anything else is a bonus (stability etc)

motorhomes are usually built close to, so constantly runs near, the vehicles max permitted weight limit so a lot more suspension 'give' is to be expected

the same base vehicle in a working environment will spend more time unloaded than loaded so the suspension doesnt suffer anywhere near as much.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Oh, still sounds complex, do I need to inflate with an airline or woiuld a foot pump do? Any ideas why it is down to zero? Should I be worried that I am off to Scotland on Friday?

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
A foot pump will do or a 12 volt compressor
Just blow it up to about 40 psi leave it for a while if it goes down you have a leak
If it stays up great just keep a eye on it

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
From the AS Air Suspension website:

The two-gauge control panel, to operate the compressor, is normally fitted within the cab area of your vehicle, although this is of personal preference. Operating the system is simple, with one switch to raise the air spring/bellows and two push-in buttons to lower.

This is what I've got in my cab, a control panel with one push button to inflate both sides and 2 buttons to lower them individually. The 12v pump is located under the rear seat. If you have tyre type valves it looks like a manual pump up system

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
if it goes down you have a leak
If it stays up great

Is a leak mendable or are we into a new system? being of a permanently negative viewpoint, what kind of £'s will it take to mend or replace? I will get a compressor on to it tomorrow, I might just get lucky.

Thanks to all contributors so far, I am not there yet though so keep on 'helping ' please

David

smiffy502000

Free Member
Aug 5, 2012
sutton coldfield
Funster No
MH
coach built.
Exp
since 2008
hi,had a similar set up in my old mh,just pop to the local garage insert 20p in the air line,inflate to your required pressure,you will see the back end lift up. you will see heads turn when you open the door and insert the airline into the footwell !!!::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

billy

Free Member
Jan 10, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
since 2009
Put some air in using your foot pump then by morning you will find out if you have a leak or not.

Mine are set at 3bar if this helps

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
There maybe nothing wrong just low pressure
possibly a loose connection or a bit of pipe to replace all easy cheap fixes
At worst you could be looking at a replacement airbag but i don't think thats very likely they are very robust and not likely to fail
Easy to fit but unsure of cost
mine were fitted new from scratch in well under 2 hours for £400 by a dealer
Don't go spending a fortune on a compressor just for that any old thing will do even a bike pump with correct end it's no more difficult than blowing up your vehicle tires

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
OK, been down cellar, found a 12V compressor, plucked up courage and blown up the system, both now set a 3 bar, no obvious hissing sounds and the MH is now amazingly stable to walk around in, I had thought it seemed very soft. Given the relatively high spec of the MH I am surprised it does not have its own pump, will check again oin morning and report back on pressure retained, probably quickly followed by several calls for more help.

For the curious or confused, I have not used the MH yet, bought in Feb ben put off by weather twice, definitely going this Friday, suspension issues allowing!!

Many thanks again for help and support, it is good to have you there:drink:

David

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I wouldnt worry about it deflating unless its pretty fast.

one of mine drops to around 40psi from 60psi in a month so i just check and inflate before setting out and again before moving off site.

a simple tyre pressure gauge will do the job.

I use one similar to this one.

Link Removed

Link Removed

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Mine has 2 guages, which is the only reason I knew there might be a problem, based on various replies I am now looking tomorrow in daylight to confirm if it is definitely an Alko chassis and whether mine has a built in pump, I dont think so, hence the 2 valves. So far still pumped up to 3 bar, but 2 hours parked may not be a tough enough test!!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Mine has 2 guages, which is the only reason I knew there might be a problem, based on various replies I am now looking tomorrow in daylight to confirm if it is definitely an Alko chassis and whether mine has a built in pump, I dont think so, hence the 2 valves. So far still pumped up to 3 bar, but 2 hours parked may not be a tough enough test!!
Ooops sorry, you did say that in the original post. :Doh:
its been a long time since reading post #1.

it could have an onboard compressor and the two exposed valves are for emergency use...ie, failed compressor etc.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I have just seen that either you are all wrong, or I keep spelling
guages incorrectly, gauges from here on, at least we can all be wrong together LOL:Doh:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Hymer B SL class from your vintage have an Alko double-floored chassis behind a Fiat front end. B CL have the standard Fiat chassis throughout - no Alko attachment.
Those on a Merc chassis (like your S-class) do not have an Alko chassis attached (so far as I know although there may well be a double floored section towards the back - not sure how Hymer fixed that). Mine which is an earlier Starline (Merc chassis) certainly does not have an Alko rear chassis, although the chassis extensions behind the rear axle, which carry the very back of the motorhome (garage in my case) are made by Alko.

Perhaps just the air suspension units are made by Alko?

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
latest update, put air in 2 days ago, still holding 3 bar, now seriously confused, why was one down to nothing? was it just that the previous owner did not look after it? I now have so much knowledge and still no answers!!

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
I would presume that the previous owner didn't know how to use it and it's lost pressure over a period of time.
You now know what to do so that's all that matters.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Sounds good to me just keep a eye on and enjoy your trip
Worst that could happen you have to top it now and then

Have fun

Compressor will stay packed, still convinced there must be a compressor on board somewhere, we have self locking lockers surely we would have auto air suspension!! But fun will be had regardless

::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back