LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
if i buy an unlocked MiFi unit .should it work with my non expiring Vodaphone data only sim card. ?

was thinking of the HUAWEI E5332 unit.

Mine 5331 does. But Voda coverage seems to leave a lot to be desired. At home it's as fast as the phone line. In Whitby it was crawling.

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
thanks Brian.
I didnt want to buy only to find it wont work.

I'm reluctant to scrap my 'endless' voda sim as my usage when out and about is relatively low so i would probably not use the full allowance if using an expiring type with another network so throwing money away.

the £15 top-up that came with the sim (sim cost me £7.50 post free) has been on for over 2 years now and is down to less than a quid so you see what i mean by low usage.

non expiring sims on any network are now like hens teeth.

ps...everything crawls in Whitby .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
my 5331 also unlocked works with any data sim. i have amounst other sims for uk and europe a T mobile on a 1 year from activation 500 mb / month allowance and cost £12.50 off fleabay

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
thanks for the reassuring replies.

just been looking for mifi on amazon and found this sim....looks cheap to me and just buy another instead of topping up.

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mobile-Broadband-Ready-Preloaded-Devices/dp/B003Z0T3X2/ref=pd_sim_computers_1"]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mobile-Broadband-Ready-Preloaded-Devices/dp/B003Z0T3X2/ref=pd_sim_computers_1[/ame]

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
please all check your own mobile phone usage 1st i have got a unlocked dongle which is also wifi so other devices can surf as well
Link Removed
when i checked my phone deal i have a 2gig a month data allowance that i have never used so now thats what i use if i need net while on the move so please check 1st
you will also need a apn number user name and passowrd but all this can be found online under the networks name
ie:t-mobile etc

Merle

Free Member
Mar 31, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2008
I used to have a Vodafone data sim and when doing a top up complained about the download speed to be told the contract sim's return a higher speed than the PAYG......I ended up moving to 3 with a smart phone I can tether to my tablet and laptop....no good abroad though too expensive

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007

just been looking for mifi on amazon and found this sim....looks cheap to me and just buy another instead of topping up.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mobile-Broadband-Ready-Preloaded-Devices/dp/B003Z0T3X2/ref=pd_sim_computers_1

i keep one of these in my box of tricks along with the T mobile 1 year one off payment sim i have, there have been times when i have needed mobile internet and had to swap sims to get service.

as you say dont top up buy another its far cheaper:thumb:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mobile-Broadband-Ready-Preloaded-Devices/dp/B003Z0T3X2/ref=pd_sim_computers_1

John I got one of those sim from Amazon a month ago "3" network paid £10 for 3gb....keep checking as the prices keep changing:Doh:.....last year I was just about to buy a 1gb on Amazon price £1.99 each...so I was going to order two sim cards..somebody knocked at the door (selling apples??) when I came back to order they had gone up to £3.99 for 1gb:Doh::Doh:

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
The correct APN settings for the non-expiring vodafone dongle are:

APN – pp.internet.co.uk
Username – web
Password - web

If you need instructions on how to enter these into the E5332, please drop me an e-mail - we have an instruction leaflet for our customers.

We've been buying in the unlocked E5332 and very pleased - 8 WiFi devices, TS9 antenna connector, longer battery life then the E586 or E5331 which it replaced. A great little unit.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005

APN – pp.internet.co.uk
Username – web
Password - web

If you need instructions on how to enter these into the E5332, please drop me an e-mail - we have an instruction leaflet for our customers.

We've been buying in the unlocked E5332 and very pleased - 8 WiFi devices, TS9 antenna connector, longer battery life then the E586 or E5331 which it replaced. A great little unit.

Is the TS9 connector better than the CRC9 one that you sold me the adapter for recently.

Also is there such a thing as a directional 3g antenna. The omnidirectional one I got off you is good as it lifts my signal by about 15% points. But a directional one would be preferable.

Was was looking at the E5332 and one of these.
Link Removed

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

APN – pp.internet.co.uk
Username – web
Password - web

thanks Addie, my current wifi dongle is my old T-mobile ex-contract jobby running the non expiring vodaphone sim.

took me a while to unlock it and set up the dongle to accept the sim but got there eventually.

problem with the dongle is it cant really be moved far from the laptop....ie: on the van roof etc so signal can be a bit hit and miss and of couse its confine to one laptop at a time.

MiFi would allow both of us access at the same time which would make my life more bearable :roflmto:.

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Is the TS9 connector better than the CRC9 one that you sold me the adapter for recently.

Also is there such a thing as a directional 3g antenna. The omnidirectional one I got off you is good as it lifts my signal by about 15% points. But a directional one would be preferable.

Was was looking at the E5332 and one of these.
Link Removed

Consumer grade 3G devices come with two connections:

CRC9 - which is a sort of thin metal affair which easily bends if put under stress
TS9 - Looks very similar, but slightly more secure and less likely to bend (but still not great).

We do have some commercial grade 3G hardware with a SMA style connector (screw thread) but the interfaces on these really are quite terrible and when we sold some around October last year we ended up spending a fair bit of time on support.

In terms of antenna type - directional really does need a clear line of sight to the mast. A difference of just a couple of degrees can make all the difference and its actually easier to make the signal worse than better! Mobile masts work by reflection and refraction to scatter the signals over a wide area - so you can sometimes lose connectivity at different times of the day.

The only time I've ever installed a directional 3G antenna was when I could actually SEE the mast from the customers house and had a good line of sight. We used a directional YAGI and managed nearly 20Mbps from an Orange mast.

Nothing wrong with having a directional antenna in your internet 'tool kit', but I only carry one to compliment my Omni (I have this one the same as you: Link Removed)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back