Deceased RIP
Jul 21, 2010
Sherborne, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
12 years.
I have just returned to the UK with my dog and for a five minute consultation where the dog was given a tablet I was charged 34€:Eeek:!

In the past I have used other vets and have been charged more but looking through the threads I see that some people have been charged much less.
I know that the medication given is related to the weight of the dog and therefore the cost increases, however I think my 15kg Springer is probably an average size family dog.

Is it possible that one of our clever members can put together a download of vets on approach to French ports and Tunnel so that animal owners can complete a proforma which would denote animal weight and charges.

In time this could result in vets reducing their charges due to the lack of business from the motorhome community:thumb:.

If anyone can add any useful information that could also be recorded please do so.

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
good idea i will check for info i hate being ripped off by bloody vets

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
Download here

Don't know how up to date it is though:BigGrin

Broken Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
thanks downloaded and stored

OP
OP
cydersyd

cydersyd

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Jul 21, 2010
Sherborne, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
12 years.
Thanks for that Lesleyjean.

I downloaded that pdf last year and very good it is too.

However, I don't think there is the facility to revise the pricing structure or the list which naturally makes it out of date. If this could be altered to enable members to input up to date costs it would be first class.

For example the vet I have just used in Rue was 24€ in 2009.

I accept that costs have to rise but 34€ for 5 minutes is in my opinion excessive.

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Your Gp charges about 175£ for the same if you go private

Apr 13, 2013
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
Hi Graham
We stopped on the way back from skiing and saw an English vet at a practice near Troyes. Pup wouldn't take the tablet from him so I gave it myself. He only charged us 7 euros - "just for the tablet as the rest is just paperwork". Bargain - and stored in our sat nav!!
Sally

OP
OP
cydersyd

cydersyd

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Jul 21, 2010
Sherborne, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
12 years.
Hello Sally,

Wow! that's a result, lucky you.

Can you post his details for the rest of us?

Graham

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
Paid 10 euros near La Rochelle last year, probably cheaper to get it done well before reaching port.

Apr 13, 2013
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
Hi
Can't find the details right now but it was in St Parres Les Vaudes - we only got the English vet by chance as didn't even know there was one there. Really nice guy. Will try to find the full details later
Sally

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
It is cheaper to have it done away from the ports and now with having 5 days its not a problem to do so, plus most will give tablets/flea,tick treatments you supply quite happily.
We always have a stock on of both.
for meds try

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/

you will find tablets and treatments a lot cheaper there than at the vets or pet store. For some things though you might need a prescription from your vet at first (usual charge for that is around a tenner)

Last edited:

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Paid 10 euros near La Rochelle last year, probably cheaper to get it done well before reaching port.

Hi Steve, near La Rochelle...could be very handy ::bigsmile: Have you any more details on where it was exactly, or the name of the practice off of the stamps in the passport. We could pass that way when we head home. Many thanks, Jane :Smile:

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
Hi Steve, near La Rochelle...could be very handy ::bigsmile: Have you any more details on where it was exactly, or the name of the practice off of the stamps in the passport. We could pass that way when we head home. Many thanks, Jane :Smile:

You have a PM.

Just in case it`s of any use to anyone else.

Clinique Vétérinaire du Marais Sancho et Buzzegoli
96 avenue 11 Novembre 1918
17300 Rochefort
05 46 99 07 41

Think we paid 10.60 Euros, just weighed him and gave him a chew-able tablet.

We stayed here a few miles away which is a nice site opposite beach......

regards

Steve

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
€44 per dog in Carnac. Two small dogs shared a tablet. That'll be €88.

So very pissed off.

Avoid:
Clinique Vétérinaire St Michel
9 avenue du Rahic
56340 Carnac

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
€44 per dog in Carnac. Two small dogs shared a tablet. That'll be €88.

So very pissed off.

Avoid:
Clinique Vétérinaire St Michel
9 avenue du Rahic
56340 Carnac

That's nothing! We went to a vet at Boulogne Sur Mer in 2007 and were charged, for 2 dogs, 107 euros!!!! :Eeek:

Oldroadies

Free Member
Jun 21, 2009
Channel Islands
Funster No
MH
Coach built Autocruise
Exp
6 + 20 caravaning
vet tip

As some one previously said go as far from the ports as possible, inland in smaller villages is normally cheaper, we have been to a vet right down in the Beaujolais region before, don't think they had ever done a passport before, so probably gave them something to talk about over lunch!. Always negotiate price when making your booking and ask if the same for more than one dog and as said before take your own worming treatment, if your french isn't too good use Google translate before you leave home and print off what you want to say and ask the reception to write down how much it will cost. Good thing we've found helpful is that generally their veterinary stamp has the phone number on which is useful if you want to use them on another occasion if passing that way. I don't know what other users have paid for a new pet passport in the uk but we are charged £25 over here, we recently had to get one in France as we'd run out of pages for the worming stamp and it only cost €15 so almost half price, they filled out all the details and when we got home i got our vet to put their official stamp on it - happy days

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
we just stop when we see a vet on the road home least weve been charged was 27 euros and that was for the meds and the stamps they didnt even see us apply them think its time to find the old john bull self cert printing kit

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
Our daughter has just returned to the UK with her Springer Spaniel pup who weighs in at 15 kg.

We used our local vet here in the Mayenne area who checked his weight, eyes, ears and heart as well as giving him his worm tablet - charged 18.49€. The fee was dependant on his weight as other posters have said.

Aug 21, 2008
skegness
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Symbol
Exp
Van Conversion
Vets in France[ Forges les eaux]

Dr Pattyn Patrick 1 Rue De Neufchatel 76440 FORGES LES EAUX. TEL;02 35 90 55 55

We use the vet in Forges and find him very reasonable and convenient, I can't say what we paid this year for the worm treatment and pet passport stamping as we had him treat one of the dogs for her eyes and with 4 tubes of eye ointment and 3 pets it only came to 90 euros. Forges is just off the A28 between Rouan and Calais and its got a nice Aire with Leccie ,there is also parking in Dia supermarket about 5 mins walk from vets.
In case any one dos'nt know cats do'nt have to see a vet or have there passport stamped to get back to the UK now.
alan:thumb:

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
Hi ,We had our two dogs done in calais 38 euro,s total for both and as last year she gave them both a good examination,But just remember you must get that signiture on the stamp ,otherwise you are going straight back.

Nov 26, 2007
Exeter
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Since 2006
Vet

We went to a vet at landerneau in Brittany, supplied our own tablet, Result,::ROFLMAO: NO charge:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back