Free Member
Jul 12, 2012
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Burstner A class 3 berth
Exp
since 2004 caravans before that
We've been looking at notepads as we fancy something much smaller and lighter than our current laptop to take to France with us next month. The choice is a bit bewildering. Would 1GB be enough? We mainly want it for emails and internet. Any advice as to make and model would be appreciated. The cheaper the better please as we're already a 3 computer family and a fourth one seems a bit extravagant!

Last edited:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Hi June, a bit more info is needed really..
1gb could refer to processor speed, amount of memory ( RAM ) or ( unlikely but anything is possible ! ) hard drive or internal non-volatile memory

gozomike

Funster Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 16, 2010
Warwickshire - sometimes - but not often
Funster No
MH
Wildax Constellation
Exp
Since August 2008
Hi. I have been using an Acer Aspire One 722 for the last year or two and it has worked well. I did get the one with 4Gb of Ram and a 500Gb hard drive as I wondered if 1Gb of Ram might be a bit low. I use it most of the time as most of my data is on it now.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
Link Removed
try that for what you need it may do and very cheap i dont think it will allow many fuctions but its small and for email and facebook it should be ok

OP
OP
J

june123

Free Member
Jul 12, 2012
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Burstner A class 3 berth
Exp
netbook

Hi June, a bit more info is needed really..
1gb could refer to processor speed, amount of memory ( RAM ) or ( unlikely but anything is possible ! ) hard drive or internal non-volatile memory

It is 1GB RAM. Thanks for your help.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
It depends on how you will use it - do you for example want a 'proper' keyboard, or would you be happy with a touch screen keyboard one instead? Also, think about how well you'll be able to read the screen - 7" is ideal for touting around but can be a bit small in use (that's what we found).

We have a normal PC which hubby mostly uses, and I have a 15" laptop for home use, although I may take the laptop away in the UK if I feel like it. For taking away with us hubby has a 9" tablet and I have a 11.6" mini-laptop which is a proper laptop just scalled down, rather than an upscaled netbook which has limited memory, processing power etc. Although hubby has a keyboard in a case to use with the 9" tablet, I much prefer a 'proper' laptop as it is easier to type on (being a touch typist this is important to me) and I can also use a mouse with it too.

The best thing is to go to a computer shop (PC World etc) and try them out for size then you'll be able to ascertain which one suits you best.:thumb:

OP
OP
J

june123

Free Member
Jul 12, 2012
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Burstner A class 3 berth
Exp
Link Removed
try that for what you need it may do and very cheap i dont think it will allow many fuctions but its small and for email and facebook it should be ok

We saw something similar on Amazon but it seemed frightening cheap and the reviews varied from "brilliant" to "a load of rubbish".

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
I use an Ipad which I find quicker than a notebook, for using an the move it's light and picks up wifi easily or I paid it to my iPhone

David

OP
OP
J

june123

Free Member
Jul 12, 2012
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Burstner A class 3 berth
Exp
I use an Ipad which I find quicker than a notebook, for using an the move it's light and picks up wifi easily or I paid it to my iPhone

David

Don't know much about Ipads. Do you have to pay a monthly subscription? I only have a pay as you go phone as it's hardly ever used and mostly switched off. Thanks for your help though.

Aug 29, 2012
North Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Panel van conversion
Exp
since 2011
Hi June,
I am in a similar situation to you in as much that I use a PAYG phone and do not have (or want) an I-pad. I bought a secondhand notebook on e-bay for around £60 which is perfect for receiving and sending e-mails and browsing the web.
I complemented this with a wifi antenna from motorhome wifi. com which has made connecting to the internet so much easier.
Hope this helps.

OP
OP
J

june123

Free Member
Jul 12, 2012
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Burstner A class 3 berth
Exp
netbook

Thanks for that. A little afraid of second hand but it's obviously worked out fine for you. We do have a wifi booster aerial which certainly picks up more signals but they've all been locked so far. Hope to use it near McDonalds/Tourist offices/.hypermarkets in France if we can find them.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
whatever you decide to take abroad your going to use wifi for connection unless your paying for it if its only e mails and internet have you considered upgrading your phone to a smart phone ?

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
Different people like different things, but I'll explain my take on this.

Personally I cannot see the role of a tablet such as an ipad or whatever. At home (or for that matter in the van) I much prefer a proper keyboard so there is no substitute for a reasonable laptop.

When out and about a tablet is unlikely to be with me as whilst its smaller than a laptop its still too big to carry in my pocket. A smart phone, on the other hand, will always be with me.

So I have a smartphone, which as far as I can tell does everything a tablet can do, and more, on a slightly smaller screen. I have just got a Sony xperia T which is wonderful! E-mails, web browsing are very easy, it runs Skype and also the BT app that charges calls to your home account (when there's wifi). It can be used as a wifi hub, Its a music player and has the ability to "throw" to our TV wirelessly. Its brilliant! You can even use it to ring up!!!

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
i know some tablets get bad reviews but look at it from the person buying it maybe they bought cheap but wantee=d a tablet which would do more than the cheaper version you say u want it for emails and general net then i reckon them cheap tablets will do

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
I use a bluetooth key board with my Ipad but you do need a phone with plenty of data use in your package so a pay as you go won't do it, so maybe it would be better to stick to a cheap notebook.

David:thumb:

Deckard

Free Member
Mar 26, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
...looking
Exp
Noob
its about personal choice....i have a Samsung Galaxy Note although the new version of this is out now. It will do all your browsing and email etc for the times you are on the go.

you may also want to checkout out the Google Nexus

I dont see the point of tablets - i like a keyboard - personal choice thing - i also dont want two bits of kit when i dont need it. I take my 17" lappie with me, yup it guzzles juice being so big and a quad core...but i'd rather have it than a tv tbh.

For smartphones giff gaff do great deals - but many advise buying a sim card in the country your are touring as it works out cheaper.

Some great deals for Three data - see fleabay for prepaid sims

If you want to look for deals . have loads of deals and i can vouch for them as I have bought loads of stuff over the years - just be sure to compare prices etc.

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
Hi. I have been using an Acer Aspire One 722 for the last year or two and it has worked well. I did get the one with 4Gb of Ram and a 500Gb hard drive as I wondered if 1Gb of Ram might be a bit low. I use it most of the time as most of my data is on it now.

I have the same spec notebook and it's great.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back