LIFE MEMBER
Mar 16, 2010
Warwickshire - sometimes - but not often
Funster No
MH
Wildax Constellation
Exp
Since August 2008
quite simple do dab radios work across europe ?

I overheard some guy at Peterborough, who was trying to sell them, say that they would work around Paris but not in the rest of France.:RollEyes:

Personaly I think they are just another sales gimmick and ploy by the goverment to sell off more frequencys. In a mobile situation if you get a weak signal the program will drop out and could take some time to recover. Unlike FM or AM there is no noise with a weak signal, it just stops working.:Blush:

As you can tell I think it is a rubish idea for a mobile situation. I have tried to put the above in simple terms.

Upvote 0

Deckard

Free Member
Mar 26, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
...looking
Exp
Noob
I overheard some guy at Peterborough, who was trying to sell them, say that they would work around Paris but not in the rest of France.:RollEyes:

Personaly I think they are just another sales gimmick and ploy by the goverment to sell off more frequencys. In a mobile situation if you get a weak signal the program will drop out and could take some time to recover. Unlike FM or AM there is no noise with a weak signal, it just stops working.:Blush:

As you can tell I think it is a rubish idea for a mobile situation. I have tried to put the above in simple terms.

Simple and true, in that if the DAB signal gets low it drops out completely and distorts to the point of being unintelligible.

I would point out that in a good signal area, there is nothing better. I carry round a Pure Mini One, with the rechargeable battery pack - cost me £45 from fleabay (used)...its awesome, the clarity cant be beaten. The caveat if the signal is poor DAB is awful and you have to switch back to FM.

Check the coverage... a lot of Europe looks poor....

Link Removed

Upvote 0
Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
Simple and true, in that if the DAB signal gets low it drops out completely and distorts to the point of being unintelligible.

I would point out that in a good signal area, there is nothing better. I carry round a Pure Mini One, with the rechargeable battery pack - cost me £45 from fleabay (used)...its awesome, the clarity cant be beaten. The caveat if the signal is poor DAB is awful and you have to switch back to FM.

Check the coverage... a lot of Europe looks poor....

Link Removed

We have same pure one
When it works fantastic
As soon as signal get weak crap

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Yes - to a degree. You will, of course, get the local stations, not UK ones. DAB is one area where the UK has been ahead of most of Europe - many countries are still at the trial broadcast stage.
It is worth noting that DAB radios are generally a lot more power-hungry than analogue radios, so not necessarily a good choice if you want a portable one.

Upvote 0

Deckard

Free Member
Mar 26, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
...looking
Exp
Noob
Yes - to a degree. You will, of course, get the local stations, not UK ones. DAB is one area where the UK has been ahead of most of Europe - many countries are still at the trial broadcast stage.
It is worth noting that DAB radios are generally a lot more power-hungry than analogue radios, so not necessarily a good choice if you want a portable one.

The Pure ones come with their own battery packs - i get 5hrs use for 5 days average before needing a recharge...these things are not cheap either...but here in the UK its great.

...as with all DAB's poor signal is its achilles heal....it sounds AWFUL!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back