Autotrail Frontier Gas Locker 2x13Kg (1 Viewer)

Brightspark

Free Member
Dec 27, 2010
Ashbourne, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
June 2010
I read a remark within another thread about Autotrail Frontier Chieftan or Comanche gas locker door will not close with 2 x 13KG gas bottles fitted. In the brochure it states that 2 x 13Kg can be carried. I have just been out & tried 2 bottles & its true, 1 will fit on the left & the door closes but move it to the right & the door will not close. Has any other owners experienced this & have they approached Autotrail about this anomaly?

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I have a 2012 apache 700..
It's been a while but when I took delivery I tried two bottles and got the door stuck..
At the rear of the locker floor are 2 brown bottle base holders.. I removed the left one so it's easier to slide in the bottles.. Now can fit in 2 but has to be done in the right order ( which I cant remember )..

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Own a 2013 AT Mohawk and have 2 x 13kg Alugas bottles fitted, no problems plenty of clearance either can be removed or fitted easily.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Brightspark

Brightspark

Free Member
Dec 27, 2010
Ashbourne, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
June 2010
Sounds as though they may have made a mod since 2010 models or are the alugas bottles a touch smaller than calor propane? I shall also remove the brown bottle supports from the back of the gas box tomorrow in the daylight.

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
I read a remark within another thread about Autotrail Frontier Chieftan or Comanche gas locker door will not close with 2 x 13KG gas bottles fitted. In the brochure it states that 2 x 13Kg can be carried. I have just been out & tried 2 bottles & its true, 1 will fit on the left & the door closes but move it to the right & the door will not close. Has any other owners experienced this & have they approached Autotrail about this anomaly?

That is more than likely my thread. Auto-Trail woes.
I am in contact with Auto-Trail and they tell me it is an isolated problem that I have, but I didn't believe them. Now I definately don't believe them.
The person I am in contact with at the factory is Andrew Davies.
His e-mail is andrew.davies@auto-trail.co.uk

I would be very grateful if you would contact him and complain about this and do it via e-mail so that it is recorded. I have been getting the run-around for almost ten months now and I am getting pi**ed off with them.

It is something that I can fix myself, but I want to know why it has occurred in the first place, and I am not getting any answers. Basically they don't want to accept responsibilty for it, because they can't admit they have made them wrong.

Any help would be most useful and gratefully accepted. :thumb: :thanks2:

OP
OP
Brightspark

Brightspark

Free Member
Dec 27, 2010
Ashbourne, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
June 2010
Yes it was you knockinonabit I remember it as you also have a Comanche like mine. I will put an email together over the weekend. What age is your Comanche? & wots the fix? is it to remove the brown bottle buffers?

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Yes it was you knockinonabit I remember it as you also have a Comanche like mine. I will put an email together over the weekend. What age is your Comanche? & wots the fix? is it to remove the brown bottle buffers?

It's a 2011 but not registered until 2012 (when I bought it).

To fix it I had to reduce the depth of the plastic on the retaining strap mounts by shaving them down with a Stanley knife.
Another option is to do away with the plastic altogether and screw through the straps directlty to the back wall of the locker and use large washers to prevent the screws pulling through. Not pretty, but it works.

Auto-Trail now don't use the composite material for the gas locker, they use galvanised metal instead.

I have had refillable gas bottles fitted and these are 11kg each and fit no problem. All I want from Auto-Trail is for them to say that they made a mistake and how they can put it right.

I wonder how many more there are out there who have the problem but have said nothing and/or used smaller bottles ?

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Also should have mentioned that the brown locating lugs at the bottom of the locker were so far off centre that they were bent over by the bottles, as were the retaining straps.

Another myth that Auto-Trail would have you believe is that all of them are made to order. So in reality there should be none stood on dealers forecourts for customers to look at, like mine was. They go so far as to tell you that they are all delivered on a truck, so there should be no more than 15 miles on the clock. That bit could be correct.

If you ever can, I would recomend doing the factory visit, and listen carefully.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brightspark

Brightspark

Free Member
Dec 27, 2010
Ashbourne, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
June 2010
I'm pleased it sounds as though its a DIY fix rather than wait for AT to offer a solution as I have purchased 2 x 13Kg bottles ready for our winter travels. Our Comanche was not 'new' to us but 2 yrs old so all the teething problems have been dealt with (I hope he says touching wood)

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
I'm pleased it sounds as though its a DIY fix rather than wait for AT to offer a solution as I have purchased 2 x 13Kg bottles ready for our winter travels. Our Comanche was not 'new' to us but 2 yrs old so all the teething problems have been dealt with (I hope he says touching wood)

It's only a diy fix cos Auto-Trail have done sod all about it. ::bigsmile:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
All I want from Auto-Trail is for them to say that they made a mistake and how they can put it right.
I take your point but WHY???? In the 'real world' this is a miniscule problem which can be solved by the owner and/or their dealer if needs be, they appear to have changed the design now anyway so what points are you hoping to score by this? :Sad:

Think of it this way, the more they have to deal with 'small' problems like this, the more people with 'large' problems have to wait to get their issues resolved. I am not making excuses as this shouldn't happen, but then we don't live in a perfect world either .... :Blush:

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
I take your point but WHY???? In the 'real world' this is a miniscule problem which can be solved by the owner and/or their dealer if needs be, they appear to have changed the design now anyway so what points are you hoping to score by this? :Sad:

Think of it this way, the more they have to deal with 'small' problems like this, the more people with 'large' problems have to wait to get their issues resolved. I am not making excuses as this shouldn't happen, but then we don't live in a perfect world either .... :Blush:

Because when you pay an arm and a leg for a product, the least that you should expect is that it does what it says on the tin. It's not about scoring points, it's about getting what I have paid for. Why should I have to fix something that should not be broken ?

We have British friennds who live in America and they have taught us that as a nation we get what we deserve. The Yanks would create holy hell if they paid for something and it was defective, but not us Brits. Oh no, it's just not done to complain, is it !
Well I'm sorry, but it is.
That may sound harsh, but we go to a restaurant and the meal is not up to standard. The waiter comes past and says "Is everything ok?" and we all say "Yes thank you" and then we leave a tip !!!!! Why don't we say "This meat is tough" or "It's cold" or whatever it happens to be ?

Well I am not leaving a tip and I am certainly not happy with the service or the product. So I am complaining until I get a satisfactory answer. Up until now they have taken my money and offered not even an apology, so forgive me if I seem a little bitter, but I am.

I hope that explains how I feel without causing offence, but it does "wind me up" that we accept sub-standard as the norm, without questioning it.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
To clarify one point, all converters make to order, ie in a batch of specific models, vans are not made for stock to be delivered as and when a dealer orders.

Once made, they are all delivered by transporter normally for a dealer to stock on his forecourt so it is possible for same vans to 'sit' until retail sold.

Peter

OP
OP
Brightspark

Brightspark

Free Member
Dec 27, 2010
Ashbourne, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
June 2010
To clarify one point, all converters make to order, ie in a batch of specific models, vans are not made for stock to be delivered as and when a dealer orders.

Once made, they are all delivered by transporter normally for a dealer to stock on his forecourt so it is possible for same vans to 'sit' until retail sold.

Peter

What has that got to do with a design fault?

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
What has that got to do with a design fault?

Something that I said in the last post on page one of this thread.

Peter

The tour guide at the factory should check his facts then.
He said that each MH made has someones name on it as they are all built for a specific customer.
Yes , I agree that they are made in batches, or production runs of particular models, but the guide definately said that each one was for a specific customer.
The guide is a retired worker from the factory who comes in to do the tours.

I am not knocking the overall product, by the way, as I like our Auto-Trail, and so does my wife. We are just frustrated by small things that spoil our enjoyment of what is a good vehicle.
How would you like it in your MH if you never knew whether the main habitation lights would turn on ? And sometimes, even more infuriatingly, they won't turn off. Just one of the "little" things that mar the product.

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Auto-Trail Frontier Gas Locker 2x13kg.

There is an Auto-Trail factory rally from Thursday 9th May until Monday 13th May. The venue is on Market Rasen racecourse and members will be bused to the factory on Saturday. Although it is fully booked you can still go and park your motorhome or car outside the factory and be allowed to go round and see how they are made. There are a few trade stands of suppliers such as Sargeant and Dometic.

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
There is an Auto-Trail factory rally from Thursday 9th May until Monday 13th May. The venue is on Market Rasen racecourse and members will be bused to the factory on Saturday. Although it is fully booked you can still go and park your motorhome or car outside the factory and be allowed to go round and see how they are made. There are a few trade stands of suppliers such as Sargeant and Dometic.

If it is fully booked then there is no point in us going as we have already done the factory tour, but thanks for the info anyway. :thumb:

Deckard

Free Member
Mar 26, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
...looking
Exp
Noob

Peter

I am not sure this is relevant - who cares how they are built and delivered?
The vehicle has a design fault, however small, its causing the client immense frustration and thats the key - the factory could be more attentive, find the root of the problem and improve future designs to eliminate the problem. Its called progress. This is how designs are improved.

It cannot be an isolated case - there must be a batch (by your own admission they are made in batches) - so there will be a batch off fed up clients. imagine the PR if they said - bring it down and we'll fix it - no charge!

If it were me, I'd take my MH, park at the factory and put up a big banner...lets see how fast they respond to that! :ROFLMAO:

There are now many products and organisations i wont touch because of previous crappy client service over the years. If more of us did the same the bad ones would wither and die like they should

Although JC MH has good feedback here, so you'll be ok :thumb:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Because when you pay an arm and a leg for a product, the least that you should expect is that it does what it says on the tin. It's not about scoring points, it's about getting what I have paid for. Why should I have to fix something that should not be broken ?

We have British friennds who live in America and they have taught us that as a nation we get what we deserve. The Yanks would create holy hell if they paid for something and it was defective, but not us Brits. Oh no, it's just not done to complain, is it !
Well I'm sorry, but it is.
That may sound harsh, but we go to a restaurant and the meal is not up to standard. The waiter comes past and says "Is everything ok?" and we all say "Yes thank you" and then we leave a tip !!!!! Why don't we say "This meat is tough" or "It's cold" or whatever it happens to be ?

Well I am not leaving a tip and I am certainly not happy with the service or the product. So I am complaining until I get a satisfactory answer. Up until now they have taken my money and offered not even an apology, so forgive me if I seem a little bitter, but I am.

I hope that explains how I feel without causing offence, but it does "wind me up" that we accept sub-standard as the norm, without questioning it.

I did say that I got your point ::bigsmile:

What I don't really understand is why you're letting it wind you up - little things can annoy you to hell but ONLY if you let them. :cry:

We had some bits and pieces on our PVC that weren't quite right, nothing major, so I just sorted them out myself. Over the years we've had some major problems on other vans, and one in particular which caused a fire due to a dealer's incompetence (extremely frightening! :whatthe:), but I try hard never to lose sight of the fact that we love motorhoming and won't let these stupid things spoil it for us.:Smile:

You are happy with your van which is great so just forget about all the annoying stuff and enjoy it. :thumb:

Southampton

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2011
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009

I have a new Comanche (2013 model) and experienced the same problem. I fitted one 13kg bottle on the right side and one 6kg on the other, when I closed the locker it snagged the opening mechanism and It took ages to be able to get into the locker again. I have left the 13kg bottle at home. I never tried it in the opposite configuration. Interesting that removing the bottom brackets that they fit, I will try that when we get home again at the end of May.

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
I have a new Comanche (2013 model) and experienced the same problem. I fitted one 13kg bottle on the right side and one 6kg on the other, when I closed the locker it snagged the opening mechanism and It took ages to be able to get into the locker again. I have left the 13kg bottle at home. I never tried it in the opposite configuration. Interesting that removing the bottom brackets that they fit, I will try that when we get home again at the end of May.

Time for you to complain to Auto-trail I think :Angry:

Removing the bottom brackets on mine made no difference, it is the strap brackets that are causing the problem, assuming that the locker is built to the correct dimensions.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp

What I don't really understand is why you're letting it wind you up - little things can annoy you to hell but ONLY if you let them. :cry:

We had some bits and pieces on our PVC that weren't quite right, nothing major, so I just sorted them out myself. Over the years we've had some major problems on other vans, and one in particular which caused a fire due to a dealer's incompetence (extremely frightening! :whatthe:), but I try hard never to lose sight of the fact that we love motorhoming and won't let these stupid things spoil it for us.:Smile:

You are happy with your van which is great so just forget about all the annoying stuff and enjoy it. :thumb:

Minx, you seem to have missed the point.
Another one with the same problem. Are Auto-Trail just ignoring the blindingly obvious, that they are building MHs with a fault that is known.
They are taking the p**s out of their own customers.
I noticed a "like" on your post from Johns Cross. I wonder if they will still like it, as Auto-Trail dealers when they have customers complaining about it, that is if people can be bothered.
It is ok being relaxed about things, but not being taken for a deliberate ride.
Please read the quote below. This is the new version of the Comanche and it is still a fault.

OP
OP
Brightspark

Brightspark

Free Member
Dec 27, 2010
Ashbourne, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
June 2010
I totally agree with knockinonabit. This latest Comanche model (2013) still has the same problem. 3 years on since my year (has this been the case since the new shape came out (2007) & they can't even rectify a small issue. All it needs is a modification in the design to extend the depth of the gas locker into the sofa under locker by 3cm. That would give plenty of room & the straps could still be used as they should be.

Deckard

Free Member
Mar 26, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
...looking
Exp
Noob

If you buy a van 2nd hand, privately, thats a different issue as to "faults" - but manufacturing or design faults should be routed back to the manufacturer, unless where possible the dealer network can support this on their behalf. How little do we see of that?

...it appears to have been an issue for a few years too :Angry:

If bought new - its not fit for purpose, read up on the Sale Of Goods act - put your point across and respond appropriately is my way to do things. If they dont step up - then you can get nasty with em.

I wouldnt let it ruin my day either, in this case, i am good enough at DIY to deal with it, but why should I? What about those that shudder at checking the oil? The Manufacturer could have taken onboard the feedback, changed the design and dealt with it when it happened - you know the saying,...." a stitch in time, saves nine"

You know that other rant about British made goods......:Eeek::Eeek:

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
If you buy a van 2nd hand, privately, thats a different issue as to "faults" - but manufacturing or design faults should be routed back to the manufacturer, unless where possible the dealer network can support this on their behalf. How little do we see of that?

...it appears to have been an issue for a few years too :Angry:

If bought new - its not fit for purpose, read up on the Sale Of Goods act - put your point across and respond appropriately is my way to do things. If they dont step up - then you can get nasty with em.

I wouldnt let it ruin my day either, in this case, i am good enough at DIY to deal with it, but why should I? What about those that shudder at checking the oil? The Manufacturer could have taken onboard the feedback, changed the design and dealt with it when it happened - you know the saying,...." a stitch in time, saves nine"

You know that other rant about British made goods......:Eeek::Eeek:

My point exactly Deckard :thumb:

I have 2 Large Gaslow bottles in my Comanche:winky:

They are 11kg not 13kg, and will fit due to them being a smaller diameter.
Also a smaller capacity. :restmycase: :winky:

tattytony

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2010
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs
Exp
My point exactly Deckard :thumb:

They are 11kg not 13kg, and will fit due to them being a smaller diameter.
Also a smaller capacity. :restmycase: :winky:

Perhaps a nice website with your woes to AutoTrail may be all is needed to resolve the issue ;)

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Perhaps a nice website with your woes to AutoTrail may be all is needed to resolve the issue ;)

You could be right, or a visit to Trading Standards.
I am in direct contact with the factory and now they are starting to not return calls/e-mails, as is the dealer.

I think "nice" has just gone out of the window.
Now that I have other people saying that they have the same problem I feel that I may get somewhere.
As Deckard says "It's not fit for purpose" if it doesn't work as advertised.

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp

Just to clarify, when you say you have a 2013 Comanche, is it the new model or a 2012 registered in 2013 ? The new model will have an umbrella holder in the door, the microwave directly over the hob and the gas locker should be galvanised metal, not composite material and there should be no window in the toilet.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
Just to clarify is this only on the new facelift models, my scout has two 13k bottle and they seem to fit ok, no problems with the door closing.

However there was problem with the door catch giving up on the A1!

The door flew up; the cable had got cruddy for road muck and had not retracted, so the catch had no locked. I took it all off and fitted two compressed locks the same as is fitted to the bottom lockers.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back