Sep 16, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SPB
Exp
September 2009
Hi

Now that we are looking again for a motorhome and having been rather good at making mistakes in this arena (layout for the first one and too big for the second:Doh: ) I would appreciate opinions on the Chausson brand

We have seen 2 that we quite like the look of although need to see in the flesh, the welcome 69 or slightly smaller maxi suite with a rather fetching opening side.

Would appreciate any opinions or experiences of the brand etc

Thanks
G

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
Over here there are a lot of Chaussons.
There are the entry level price range.
Never had a bad word said agains them.
Last week a French man told me he took delivery and had a few problems.
But said the after sales service was fantastic.

Mel

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
we have a welcome 85 on an 08 plate and think it is the bees knees::bigsmile:

build quality is excellent, as are equipment levels are also very good, weve looked at a few vans since getting this one and nothing has ticked as many boxes for us personally

Only word of caution...watch out for the payload..they can be limiting without an uprate if there is more than 2 of you in it, most of them have been downplated to 3500kg from 3850kg to suit the continental market. but that can be fixed, or make it a condition of the sale

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Toffs-G

Toffs-G

Free Member
Sep 16, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SPB
Exp
September 2009
Thanks Mel

We quite like the idea of this one with opening side opposite the door

Cheers
G

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
I might be wrong {I often am}

But I think there was a test on this model in the UK

MMM or Practical Motorhome

A few months back.

They alwas look to be nicely finnished off.

philw111

Free Member
Mar 22, 2009
Moray Firth
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 484
Exp
Since 2004
We have had our Welcome 27 for 7 years now and still love it. The layout works well for us and the quality is good.

Phil

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
We looked at a few chaussons before buying our lunar roadstar.

Admittedly we were looking at years 2005 to 2008.

We noticed quite a lot of rust on the older ones and not one we looked at had the dining room table in perfect working order. A few also had the rear end judder.

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Just in case you have wind or the wife has wind.:ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
Toffs-G

Toffs-G

Free Member
Sep 16, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SPB
Exp
September 2009
I'm intrigued. What's the point of the opening side? :Smile:

Hi

I guess the door becomes almost an awning in itself and the airey feel inside like having the patio door open at home - well that was our thinking anyway :Smile:

OP
OP
Toffs-G

Toffs-G

Free Member
Sep 16, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SPB
Exp
September 2009
I might be wrong {I often am}

But I think there was a test on this model in the UK

MMM or Practical Motorhome

A few months back.

They alwas look to be nicely finnished off.

Thanks I'll check it out :thumb:

Cheers
G

themogs

Free Member
Oct 23, 2012
Wales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Not Long Enough.
Hi,
Bought our 57 plater Flash 08 back in Sept 2011( fixed bed ), and we love it.
Not as flash (no pun intended) as some more expensive models, but it does the job very well.
No regrets here !!
:thumb:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
We love ours!

Winterisation is good, water tanks are huge, shower is huge, the fridge is huge, the diesel heating is both effective and liberating. Oh and the heating works on the road!
The CBE electrical system is well made with no pissy-thin cables causing volt drop problems.
The polyester sides are bombproof, no easy-to-dent ally anywhere!
The windows are all high-spec Seitz and the rooflights are all draught-proof and don't rattle.
Plus the electrics in the back stay on when you are driving!:thumb:
You won't get the spec of a Chausson at the same price anywhere else!

HOWEVER, the furniture isn't as posh as some and you need to get used to the smaller oven on offer.

We very nearly bought another a Peterborough!:Eeek:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Toffs-G

Toffs-G

Free Member
Sep 16, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SPB
Exp
September 2009
we have a welcome 85 on an 08 plate and think it is the bees knees::bigsmile:

build quality is excellent, as are equipment levels are also very good, weve looked at a few vans since getting this one and nothing has ticked as many boxes for us personally

Only word of caution...watch out for the payload..they can be limiting without an uprate if there is more than 2 of you in it, most of them have been downplated to 3500kg from 3850kg to suit the continental market. but that can be fixed, or make it a condition of the sale

Thanks for the heads up on the payload we were somewhat spoiled with the Elnagh Baron we originally had as that had 960kg of payload and now I have put on weight 100kg is gone already :Eeek:

OP
OP
Toffs-G

Toffs-G

Free Member
Sep 16, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SPB
Exp
September 2009
We love ours!

Winterisation is good, water tanks are huge, shower is huge, the fridge is huge, the diesel heating is both effective and liberating. Oh and the heating works on the road!
The CBE electrical system is well made with no pissy-thin cables causing volt drop problems.
The windows are all high-spec Seitz and the rooflights are all draught-proof and don't rattle.

HOWEVER, the furniture isn't as posh as some and you need to get used to the smaller oven on offer.

Wow sounds like a peach!! Everything you mention there ticks our boxes. Not worried about posh or flash etc but build quality is important as is winterisation as we have always used ours all year round and now with junior heating staying on in the rear etc is important. Along with a good size shower.

Cathy and i were only saying today that we wished in reality we had kept our Elnagh Baron 46 although we ended up not liking the layout we had some great times in it either for days out or fantastic trips to Dorset, brugge, germany,Austria etc and loved every minute, the same could not be said for when we had the Winnebago too big too expensive and too slow to try and conserve fuel Not practical to just take around anywhere. :Eeek:

So we Should have put up with ladder to the bed over garage in fact if we had got a wooden ladder made with wider rungs that probably would have done the trick and lounging at the dinette, well we did it for a year and then ended up hardly using the RV because it was just too big and expensive so we wasted 2 years and I won't mention how much money we lost on it :cry:

I should have sought more advice from here, but the we are will try to get it right this time:thumb:

Cheers
G

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
Own a Welcome 72, our first new model.
Dislikes: Small kitchen, high level TV viewing.

Comment by another poster about rust puzzles me. Fiat Ducato not particularly renowned for corrosion, and vast majority of converters use this model. So why single out Chausson?

Steve

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We used to have a Chausson Flash 04 (2010) and it was a lovely van, we only sold it because we downsized to a panel van conversion. From what I recall there are 3 levels of Chausson: Flash (budget), Welcome (mid-range) and Allegro (top spec), so the higher the level, the more luxurious and better equipped the van will be, but this doesn't mean that there's anything wrong with the 'lower level' ones.

As for the suite specifically, there is a LOT of waste space in it which will restrict the storage. I would also be wary of the 'novelty' opening side too, in reality I doubt it would be used much especially as you'd have a wind-out awning on the opposite side and would probably have pitched your van accordingly on site, also the addition of this could make it noisier when travelling, possibly colder due to draughts through the edges and add weight.

As for the interior: the kitchen has 'form over function' gas rings for cooking which are downright dangerous as there is nothing other than the 2 pan supports, no base/sides, so if you spilled something it would go all over the place - far from ideal especially with kids.

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
We looked at a few chaussons before buying our lunar roadstar.

Admittedly we were looking at years 2005 to 2008.

We noticed quite a lot of rust on the older ones and not one we looked at had the dining room table in perfect working order. A few also had [HI]the rear end judder[/HI].

whats that then??

OP
OP
Toffs-G

Toffs-G

Free Member
Sep 16, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SPB
Exp
September 2009
We used to have a Chausson Flash 04 (2010) and it was a lovely van, we only sold it because we downsized to a panel van conversion. From what I recall there are 3 levels of Chausson: Flash (budget), Welcome (mid-range) and Allegro (top spec), so the higher the level, the more luxurious and better equipped the van will be, but this doesn't mean that there's anything wrong with the 'lower level' ones.

As for the suite specifically, there is a LOT of waste space in it which will restrict the storage. I would also be wary of the 'novelty' opening side too, in reality I doubt it would be used much especially as you'd have a wind-out awning on the opposite side and would probably have pitched your van accordingly on site, also the addition of this could make it noisier when travelling, possibly colder due to draughts through the edges and add weight.

As for the interior: the kitchen has 'form over function' gas rings for cooking which are downright dangerous as there is nothing other than the 2 pan supports, no base/sides, so if you spilled something it would go all over the place - far from ideal especially with kids.

Hmm good point about the suite must admit haven't considered those points

Thank you

Last edited:

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
All this talk of reversing problems with Fiat.

Is this only on RHD ?

OP
OP
Toffs-G

Toffs-G

Free Member
Sep 16, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SPB
Exp
September 2009
We love ours!

Just checked out the welcome 35 looks very nice will have to look at one of these closer

Thanks
G

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
That bloody Fiat business!:winky:

oi...mines a fiat and ive not had any problems with a rear end judder, on the van at least:ROFLMAO:...not even had any reversing judder as its a 3.0l beastie under the bonnet

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Just checked out the welcome 35 looks very nice will have to look at one of these closer

Thanks
G

The Welcome 35s are a bit thin on the ground. We like the van, it features some clever space multiplication. The washroom is ensuite and the rear bed tips up to allow access to the garage and extra storage.
The Transit base is well equipped and controls the heavy body well. Traction in the snow and mud is also good from the dual rear wheel drive.
The fixed table is huge though. If you don't need the lounge double, you can remove it and retrofit a Fiamma island table leg and smaller top to free up space.

Happy hunting!:thumb:

Fermenter

Free Member
Sep 6, 2012
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2012
We have a Welcome 76 and it is an excellent van at an affordable price. It is almost 3 years old and touch wood no issues. Plenty of storage and Chaussons have intelligently designed layouts. You get a good spec for what you pay.

OP
OP
Toffs-G

Toffs-G

Free Member
Sep 16, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SPB
Exp
September 2009
The Welcome 35s are a bit thin on the ground. We like the van, it features some clever space multiplication. The washroom is ensuite and the rear bed tips up to allow access to the garage and extra storage.
The Transit base is well equipped and controls the heavy body well. Traction in the snow and mud is also good from the dual rear wheel drive.
The fixed table is huge though. If you don't need the lounge double, you can remove it and retrofit a Fiamma island table leg and smaller top to free up space.

Happy hunting!:thumb:

Have only seen one so far up for sale although have seen a welcome 28 at Highbridge who seem to have a fair selection so will plan to get up there to see what's what - I'm starting to get all excited now:RollEyes:

Cheers
G

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back