Portable Fridge/Freezer advice (1 Viewer)

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Planning a trip to France and Sue says that the kids won`t eat French food :Eeek:
I would sooner eat French :thumb:
But orders are orders and i have to find a portable Freezer to take kids favourite junk food to the land of excellent cuisine.:cry:
The freezer in the MH now is the older small Dometec type .

I can use 12v while driving, and EHU when parked, gas will be no use as i will have to vent it.

Has anyone any experience of them.---or any for sale :thumb:

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
Most junk food from the UK will be available in France I think.

I would be a little concerned for the batterys if you dont find EHU.

Enjoy it

Mel

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Crikey kids have it soo good these days.
I would have loved the opportunity for a French Holiday.
And if I had mentioned food I would have been told "You will eat what you are given and you WILL enjoy it!"

I wish I was a kid these days, parents are so much easier than in the 70's :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Deckard

Free Member
Mar 26, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
...looking
Exp
Noob
I have been looking for a freezer solution myself.....it seems theyre UBER expensive...:Eeek:

I just wanted to be able to cook a pan of chilli / curry / soup and freeze it off - but it just doesnt look practical in a MH?

Link Removed

Link Removed

If anyone knows where you can get cheaper versions or has a decent solution to this I'd love to hear from you :thumb:

OP
OP
J
Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
I have been looking for a freezer solution myself.....it seems theyre UBER expensive...:Eeek:

I just wanted to be able to cook a pan of chilli / curry / soup and freeze it off - but it just doesnt look practical in a MH?

Link Removed

Link Removed

If anyone knows where you can get cheaper versions or has a decent solution to this I'd love to hear from you :thumb:

WoW! what a price! ---I`m going to have to say to the boss ,the MH electrics won`t cope with it:thumb:
The kids WILL have to eat bread and cheese for a few weeks :winky:

OP
OP
J
Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Is this your first trip to France with the kids?
Took them last year,:thumb: we did find the supermarket food over there was a bit pricey.
But looking at the price of freezer , it will be cheaper than that :Eeek:

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
Took them last year,:thumb: we did find the supermarket food over there was a bit pricey.
But looking at the price of freezer , it will be cheaper than that :Eeek:

Try and find Aldi or Lidl, there are plenty about, and reasonabely priced.

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Junk food in the way of burgers etc. are readily available everywhere in France.
Also, they are worse than us for "Frittes with everything".
Like us they eat good food and crap as well.
It's hard to buy anything resembling fast or takeaway food without being asked "Avec frittes?"
(Sorry if the spelling is crap, the accent is even worse.)

OP
OP
J
Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now

Attachments

• puke-smiley-emoticon.gif
    puke-smiley-emoticon.gif
    5.6 KB · Views: 2

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
We considered one last year but unless on ehu they will destroy your batteries and as we don't use ehu all the time no use to us . And even with our small freezer if we take the goods out of the packaging we can get 4 weeks worth of meals in the freezer box plus what the fridge holds. If you search on google you'll find a lot of people who've used them have had serious battery problems. :thumb:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I have the Electrolux 3 way in the garage. I freeze it down for 24 hours before leaving home on 230 volt then put frozen food in it and run it on 12 volt whilst travelling. When I park up for the night I switch over to gas if there is no hookup. Then the cycle starts again the next day. It kept food frozen for 4 days on route to Benidorm and when the food was used up I turn it down and use it as a beer fridge. I paid £60 for it off ebay second hand. Some say they wont freeze down but I have a digital probe thermometer that says different :Smile:.

jb0371old

Free Member
Jul 8, 2011
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
1 year
we were looking at the waeco fridge/freezers at the peterborough show, but wiring in another 3 way fridge seems a lot cheaper and offers a lot more space, just going to have a look at size/weight and space in the garage. Putting extra wiring in and gas pipe is no problem (although I will be waiting for the naysayers to mention about gas pipe fitting etc):ROFLMAO:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
we were looking at the waeco fridge/freezers at the peterborough show, but wiring in another 3 way fridge seems a lot cheaper and offers a lot more space, just going to have a look at size/weight and space in the garage. Putting extra wiring in and gas pipe is no problem (although I will be waiting for the naysayers to mention about gas pipe fitting etc):ROFLMAO:

If we'd gone ahead that's the way we were thinking but couldn't justify the cost :Sad:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Mine runs off the same dedicated 7kg bottle as the garage oven and hob. The bottle is fitted into the garage securely with a drop vent in the garage floor. The garage freezer and oven is completely separate from the rest of the gas system. The phoyo shows the oven and hob and the freezer sits behind it.

Attachments

• Roastmaster oven 004.jpg
    Roastmaster oven 004.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 16
  • Roastmaster oven 002.jpg
    Roastmaster oven 002.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 14
Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
My kids will eat anything especially sprouts. Fussy child eaters become boring fussy adult eaters. My mates wife will only eat spag bog,certain types of pizza and burgers!
Get them into line or you will have a rod for your own back for future trips.
Cheese and crackers for them until they change their ways.
Fussy eaters are worse than vegetarians at a hogroast!

Last edited:
OP
OP
J
Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
My kids will eat anything especially sprouts. Fussy child eaters become boring fussy adult eaters. My mates wife will only eat spag bog,certain types of pizza and burgers!
Get them into line or you will have a rod for your own back for future trips.
Cheese and crackers for them until they change their ways.

I have tried and moaned to get them to try different foods-- :cry:

I would leave them to starve for a day or two until they ate anything that moved but, Sue gives in after about 5 mins:Angry:

I don`t mind ,i leave them to chips and chicken nuggets /marmite sarnies EVERY day, --

I just get on with my cusine and know they won`t be pinching my meals :thumb:

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
As my mum used to say ............. " Here is dinner, the next meal is tommorrow ". :whatthe:

Even so, having said that, how about this ..............

Link Removed

Last edited:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Our boys (4 and 9) are quite happy eating in France without resorting to Mc Donalds or taking supplies with us....

They particularly love BBQ's with Steak haché, Merguez, Saucisses, Brochettes, Pork Chops etc.... with some pasta or rice.
The first time I did them they looked at me a bit funny but once they tried them they could not get enough.
I was also surprised when they gave Coquilles St Jacques and Moules Marinière a go and they loved them too.

Also readily available everywhere when out and about which they also like to eat, are fresh Pizzas from the little Pizza vans, Croque Monsieurs in the bars, and they also love fresh baguettes with Ham and or Cheese.

When in Belgium and northern France they occasionally enjoy Croquette de Jambon et Fromage and Fricadelle with frites from the Friterie. The first time I bought the croquettes for myself, I was sent back to get more as the boys tried them and ate them all.
When heading back if we stay on the aire at Gravelines the night before the ferry they love the Fricadelle and Croquettes from the Friterie in the square and their frites are "delicieux" and the portions are huge.....

At breakfast time they enjoy Pain au Chocolat and croissants.

So it's just getting them to try something different, once they did they loved it.

Yum......I'm getting all hungry at the thought of it............::bigsmile:

:Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back