Cam belt time, Burstner i821- where to go? (1 Viewer)

jackrussel

Free Member
Jul 8, 2012
south cheshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance i821
Exp
nada
Hi all,, I have a 2005 Burstner i821 A class, tag axle. It's time for a cambelt, but have had quotes over the phone, for what seem good prices, only to turn up and find that, due to apalling access to the parts under the bonnet, no one would take on the job. This despite me having insisted that access is bad, asking have they done one on this particular mode before, (or the smaller i series A class which are the same front end), and been assured they have indeed done them before, resulting in much wasted fuel, time, and bad temper. SO, does any funster know anywhere I can go, as near as possible to Crewe, Cheshire, that will take it on? Without mashing my wallet to dust, lol. Found a main dealer in Stoke, but at very high rates. Also Camperuk but almost as dear, and far enough away. I might add, it needs an mot as well now, as its expired. So to do the jobs booked in together is a must. Any thoughts? Chees & beers!

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Hi all,, I have a 2005 Burstner i821 A class, tag axle. It's time for a cambelt, but have had quotes over the phone, for what seem good prices, only to turn up and find that, due to apalling access to the parts under the bonnet, no one would take on the job. This despite me having insisted that access is bad, asking have they done one on this particular mode before, (or the smaller i series A class which are the same front end), and been assured they have indeed done them before, resulting in much wasted fuel, time, and bad temper. SO, does any funster know anywhere I can go, as near as possible to Crewe, Cheshire, that will take it on? Without mashing my wallet to dust, lol. Found a main dealer in Stoke, but at very high rates. Also Camperuk but almost as dear, and far enough away. I might add, it needs an mot as well now, as its expired. So to do the jobs booked in together is a must. Any thoughts? Chees & beers!

Hi we are in haslington near Crewe. We use E&M commercial and have done for many years. They can take bigger vans, and its a proper old school proper garage. The guys that work there are always helpful.

They do a good few motorhomes so should have an idea. One thing for sure is it will be cheaper than a main dealer.
They are based in Kidsgrove
http://eandmcommercials.co.uk/contact-us

Tell them Paul with the big black dog sent ya :thumb:

What they will do is take a look at it

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Just adding they do MOTs as well for our class of van

Apr 21, 2009
East Cowes, PO32 6RU
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Caravan since 1970, motorhome or RV since 1999 then back to a caravan in 2017.
I had my Fiat Cam Belt changed by Mark (ex TBTurbo foreman) at Unit 45, Lune Business Park, Lancaster, LA1 5FT (www.candmauto.co.uk to look, 01524843721 or email info@candmauto.co.uk)

His 'standard charge' for all Fiat motorhomes is now £225.

He has a secure and patrolled yard with two electric hook ups and a water tap. A courtesy car is available on first come first served basis.

Mark removed, cleaned and lubricated the starter motor and adjusted the clutch for me as well as fitting the complete cam belt kit.

The total bill was still what he quoted at the start and the Hymer seemed to run much better.

I cannot speak too highly of this firm.

OP
OP
jackrussel

jackrussel

Free Member
Jul 8, 2012
south cheshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance i821
Exp
nada
So much, so quick.........!

Hi to all who responded in superfast fashion so far, I'm amazed. I will try the suggestions, only snag is, as MOT is up, I cannot take it anywhere just for a look-see, and it is not the usual scenario of a standard Fiat chassis/cab, as per coachbuilt (which some verbal quotes that I had were for, it transpires). Some A class, (noted on certain Hymers), are a little better access than my setup is. I will commence the calls! Cheers folks, keep em coming please, really very helpful of you all to my first post! Cheers! Dave

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Hi to all who responded in superfast fashion so far, I'm amazed. I will try the suggestions, only snag is, as MOT is up, I cannot take it anywhere just for a look-see, and it is not the usual scenario of a standard Fiat chassis/cab, as per coachbuilt (which some verbal quotes that I had were for, it transpires). Some A class, (noted on certain Hymers), are a little better access than my setup is. I will commence the calls! Cheers folks, keep em coming please, really very helpful of you all to my first post! Cheers! Dave

If you book an MOT at EandM you can I've it there. I'm positive there would not be a problem doing the belt. Cost me about £280 from memory when I had your type of engine.

OP
OP
jackrussel

jackrussel

Free Member
Jul 8, 2012
south cheshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance i821
Exp
nada
belt etc

Hi Haganap,, gave them all a call and await replies. The problem is not the engine type, but access to it on my vehicle. It is truly awkward! If I can post a pic later on, you will get the idea. Ah the joys of modern vehicles, eh.

Apr 21, 2009
East Cowes, PO32 6RU
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Caravan since 1970, motorhome or RV since 1999 then back to a caravan in 2017.
Just to add - my Hymer was a 694 A class with very limited access. At the time Mark's price was £199 and it is now £225 for ANY Fiat!

OP
OP
jackrussel

jackrussel

Free Member
Jul 8, 2012
south cheshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance i821
Exp
nada
cambelt.....

Hi folks, ta for all the recommends, its booked into c and m. Hope it is straightforward! Cheers guys.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Hi folks, ta for all the recommends, its booked into c and m. Hope it is straightforward! Cheers guys.

E&M Or C&M? if so, where are C&M?

If E&M,. say hello. :thumb:

froggy59

Free Member
Jul 12, 2011
walkden
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2009

i had my cam belt done at c&m last week for £225, great sevice will use them again.
and the use of the loan car.:thumb:

Alan

OP
OP
jackrussel

jackrussel

Free Member
Jul 8, 2012
south cheshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance i821
Exp
nada
cambelt

E&M Or C&M? if so, where are C&M?

If E&M,. say hello. :thumb:

C & M. Lancaster. Saw the job and kept to his quote, £225. Having some other odds and ends done, plus an MOT too. Thanx for all the help with my enquiry:thumb:

OP
OP
jackrussel

jackrussel

Free Member
Jul 8, 2012
south cheshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance i821
Exp
nada
Cambelt- done!

Well, everyone. It went into C&M at Lancaster, on monday. It had a cambelt kit, oil & filter, rear axles greased, brake pads checked, and MOT'd. Collected thursday. Even had quiet time on the M6 both ways, thursday was rush hour, but straight thru. The best bit? The total cost was £370! LOADS cheaper than anyone else, by a large margin.And I mean large. I can't speak too highly of the chap (Matt). The cambelt was an extremely hard job, and 4 1/2 hours, all done from underneath. Thanks to all who gave suggestions; I've never paid to join any forums in the past, but got my subs back in spades now! Excellent. :roflmto:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back