Free Member
Nov 20, 2012
Full Timer
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
since Jan 2013
My van has an 80w factory fitted system which charges batteries via a regulator (max 100w) and then through a Sargent EC500 control system. This system automatically switches the solar charge between leisure and vehicle batteries as and when needed.

I have another 80w panel, which I wish to fit to vehicle as well. I have spoken to Sargent, who state that I cannot simply add this panel to existing system due to the 100w limit of the regulator. I cannot upgrade the regulator (which is a separate unit at rear of EC500 panel as the actual panel has the same limit).

Sargent advise to install totally separate stand alone system, connected direct to leisure batteries, via a separate regulator.

Q1 - If I do this, will the factory fitted system still work? My thoughts are that due to the new system charging leisure batteries direct, the EC500 will sense that these batteries are fully charged all the time and only ever charge the vehicle battery. Are my thoughts correct?

Q2 - Do I install an on/off switch to the new system, and if so where i.e. before regulator or after it?

Q3 - Am I right to put a 20 amp inline fuse 6 " from positive terminal of battery?

Thanks in advance for your help and advice

Nigel

duane0001

Free Member
Jan 18, 2013
East Coast, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
Expedition 67 soon!
Exp
2021 This time
I thought you meant

This

Attachments

• HubbleDeepField_80_1500517c.jpg
    HubbleDeepField_80_1500517c.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 58
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
cant see an 80 watt solar developing much more than 5 - 6 watts so i dont see a problem. but are you sure its a 100 watt regulator that seems very high?

i have an 80 watt panel and a Schaudt 22 watt regulator which will easily take another 2 x 80 watt panels if i wished. ( IMHO ).

but, there are guys on here who have done it and got the T shirt.

duane0001

Free Member
Jan 18, 2013
East Coast, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
Expedition 67 soon!
Exp
2021 This time
My solar system (pictured in my last post) puts out millions of megawatts of power :thumb:
I just need to find out how to harness all that power :Doh:

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I don't know if this is going to help but the 100W solar panel limit for the Sargent EC500 P.S.U. is not quite correct.

Although Sargent do state 100W limit (I've just contradicted myself LOL) this figure was based on a limit to ensure the power going into the regulator from the solar panel does not exceed 9 Amps.

This is the figure you need to know when selecting a suitable solar panel (I have this confirmed by Sargent). So, when looking at the output from the solar panel, providing it does not exceed 9 Amps it will be suitable for the Sargent EC 500 P.S.U.

I am about to fit a 125 W Solar panel to my motorhome and Sargent have confirmed it's compatible with their system. In addition, it's unlikely a solar panel will ever achieve it's maximum stated output unless your in the middle of the desert ? Unlikely to be achieved in the northern hemisphere.

Cheers,
Philip

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Before you spend lots of time and money fitting another solar panel it would be worth making sure that your existing panel is woring effectively. Autotrail have a habit of fitting the solar panel next to the Status aeriel, this castss a shadow on the panel in almost all situations which renders the panel almost useless. If you have satellite TV then the easiest solution is to remove the Status aeriel and blank off the hole through the roof, no more shadow and your panel will perform much better.

D.

OP
OP
Nigel&Debbie

Nigel&Debbie

Free Member
Nov 20, 2012
Full Timer
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
since Jan 2013
I don't know if this is going to help but the 100W solar panel limit for the Sargent EC500 P.S.U. is not quite correct.

Although Sargent do state 100W limit (I've just contradicted myself LOL) this figure was based on a limit to ensure the power going into the regulator from the solar panel does not exceed 9 Amps.

This is the figure you need to know when selecting a suitable solar panel (I have this confirmed by Sargent). So, when looking at the output from the solar panel, providing it does not exceed 9 Amps it will be suitable for the Sargent EC 500 P.S.U.

I am about to fit a 125 W Solar panel to my motorhome and Sargent have confirmed it's compatible with their system. In addition, it's unlikely a solar panel will ever achieve it's maximum stated output unless your in the middle of the desert ? Unlikely to be achieved in the northern hemisphere.

Cheers,
Philip

Thanks for above. How do you calculate the max amps?

Will I be OK with a new 10 amp regulator that can take up to 200w of solar panel - like this one:

Link Removed

Thanks in advance

Nigel

OP
OP
Nigel&Debbie

Nigel&Debbie

Free Member
Nov 20, 2012
Full Timer
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
since Jan 2013
Before you spend lots of time and money fitting another solar panel it would be worth making sure that your existing panel is woring effectively. Autotrail have a habit of fitting the solar panel next to the Status aeriel, this castss a shadow on the panel in almost all situations which renders the panel almost useless. If you have satellite TV then the easiest solution is to remove the Status aeriel and blank off the hole through the roof, no more shadow and your panel will perform much better.

D.

Have to agree with you Dave, but would like to keep status tv aerial as a back up to Sat TV. Have looked at moving autotrail panel, but unlikely to achieve shadow free location as I have a sat dome in middle of roof.

I already have another 80w of solar panel from my tugging days (2 x 40w), together with a separate regulator. Hence by fitting on opposite side to auto trail panel, I will at least achieve 1 shadow free panel.

Just had a look at regulator fitted at rear of Sargent panel, and it states:

Model C1210
Solar Charge Controller
12v10A

The make appears to be CARSPA i.e. http://carspa.en.made-in-china.com/...nction-CD12-24-10-CD12-24-12-CD12-24-15-.html

taking into account that the 160w of panels will be lying flat - thus unlikely to ever achieve max efficiency, will I be OK with a new 10A regulator that can take a total of at least 160W as per previous post

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Have to agree with you Dave, but would like to keep status tv aerial as a back up to Sat TV. Have looked at moving autotrail panel, but unlikely to achieve shadow free location as I have a sat dome in middle of roof.

I already have another 80w of solar panel from my tugging days (2 x 40w), together with a separate regulator. Hence by fitting on opposite side to auto trail panel, I will at least achieve 1 shadow free panel.

Just had a look at regulator fitted at rear of Sargent panel, and it states:

Model C1210
Solar Charge Controller
12v10A

taking into account that the 160w of panels will be lying flat - thus unlikely to ever achieve max efficiency, will I be OK with a new 10A regulator that can take a total of at least 160W as per previous post

if you were in the Sahara 160w would be around a total of 12 - 13 watts so in normal EU mode somewhat less.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007

Will I be OK with a new 10 amp regulator that can take up to 200w of solar panel - like this one:

Link Removed

Thanks in advance

Nigel

Nigel,
You need to get hold of the specification for the Solar Panel. It should tell you what the optimum operating current is, or maximum output. (ignore the short circut figure).
This is the panel I have purchased and if you scroll down the page you will see the panel specification).

Link Removed

I'm not sure how to calculate Amp output from two solar panels and I'm sure there are more knowledgeable people on here who will help you with that.

Also, remember, you are unlikely to obtain the maximum output specified unless in perfect conditions.

Regards,
Philip

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
solar output is calculatedas

solar wattage / solar operating voltage = output current

i.e. 80w / 12v = 6.66 amps

remember this is absolute calculated current and extremely unlikely to be achieved but is a guide.

in many cases the voltage is higher than 12v so output current would be lower, not taking into account angle of the panel to the sun, time of day and any shadowing

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
cant see an 80 watt solar developing much more than 5 - 6 watts so i dont see a problem. but are you sure its a 100 watt regulator that seems very high?

i have an 80 watt panel and a Schaudt 22 watt regulator which will easily take another 2 x 80 watt panels if i wished. ( IMHO ).

but, there are guys on here who have done it and got the T shirt.

if you were in the Sahara 160w would be around a total of 12 - 13 watts so in normal EU mode somewhat less.

Phil, you keep confusing watts with amps mate

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
solar output is calculatedas

solar wattage / solar operating voltage = output current

i.e. 80w / 12v = 6.66 amps

remember this is absolute calculated current and extremely unlikely to be achieved but is a guide.

in many cases the voltage is higher than 12v so output current would be lower, not taking into account angle of the panel to the sun, time of day and any shadowing
agreed...average solar panel output is 17v until it gets to the regulator then its regulated down to 12v (nominal) so the amperage goes up as the volts drop.

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
I've a 100w panel and it was giving 5-6 amps this week in northern France (Horfleur and Carnac). It's still April and the panel is flat on the roof.

:Smile:

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I've a 100w panel and it was giving 5-6 amps this week in northern France (Horfleur and Carnac). It's still April and the panel is flat on the roof.

:Smile:

sounds about right.

theoretically a 100w panel will produce 8.3amps....but it never will.

it doesnt need warm sun...just bright sun.

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
sounds about right.

theoretically a 100w panel will produce 8.3amps....but it never will.

it doesnt need warm sun...just bright sun.

I know, I posted this because it was being suggested that PV panels don't give much in the UK and Europe when I was in the Northern Hemisphere getting 70 watts for free in April when the sun isn't high in the sky.

But as you're here can you explain...

A solar panel out of the factory produces 17 (ish) volts. We route this via the solar regulator to get a more suitable voltage to charge and maintain a battery.

Where are the losses in the system? Volt drop on cables, the connections, the PV panel, the regulator or all of the above?

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005

Link Removed

We use one of these regulators with 1 x 80w and 1 x 50w panels, with 2 x 110w batteries. It's worked fine for 3 years + including 2 winters spent up a Welsh hillside... :thumb:

G4OGE

Free Member
Apr 11, 2013
Northwich,Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Don't have one yet
Exp
Caravanning 30+ years
Broken link

The link to the motor caravan site for some reason does not work but if you follow the link

www.motorcaravanning.co.uk there are some pointers under gas & electric then solar panels. hope this one works :Doh:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967

Err you keep quoting watts instead of amps. A 160w panel could at 12v chuck out 13 1/3 amps, though typically charge at 17.5 volts which would be 9.14 amps. A 10 amp regulator would do for the UK but overseas I would advise a 20 amp regulator

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Err you keep quoting watts instead of amps. A 160w panel could at 12v chuck out 13 1/3 amps, though typically charge at 17.5 volts which would be 9.14 amps. A 10 amp regulator would do for the UK but overseas I would advise a 20 amp regulator

i know , i know :Doh::Doh: i already said in an earlier post that " I banged my head" thats my excuse!!:RollEyes: i was too late to edit the posts as they had been snapped up by pappajohn one of our resident electrical guru's.

dont rub it in! :ROFLMAO: and make me feel even more stupid :cry:

OP
OP
Nigel&Debbie

Nigel&Debbie

Free Member
Nov 20, 2012
Full Timer
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
since Jan 2013
decided to put two separate systems in at the moment (I.e. leave original autotrail system alone, and put another 80w via another regulator in).

One question, do I need an isolating switch in the new system? Will have 20amp fuse near battery on the positive wire.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back