Free Member
Mar 26, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
...looking
Exp
Noob
OK, I have read many times "it takes three MH's before you get the right one"...

I have settled on a preference, being fixed rear bed, dinette/lounge area, separate shower...all from reading here and trying to picture myself living in one...not sure about LHD or RHD tbh.

I'd like to know YOUR preference and why, if you've had a few vans, then the pro's and cons of the layouts you've tried.

I know I am asking a lot, but I'd appreciate the feedback to make sure i have my "head straight" on what I am looking for....could be lots of "gotcha's" i havent considered !!

duane0001

Free Member
Jan 18, 2013
East Coast, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
Expedition 67 soon!
Exp
2021 This time
I dont like permanent dinettes, I prefer a spacious front lounge comprising of two facing sofas
Fixed bed at the back and a small garage, I know my currant motorhome does not have these features but my next one will

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
we are fans of the fixed bed with an across the rear washroom and shower. with a front dinette with side sofa and swivel seats. best of all worlds to us but the compromise ( and there always is one unless you buy a large RV ) is that the kitchen area is small, in the winter thats a minor issue in summer its no issue as the Barb'e is always out.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 10, 2012
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I've had 2 vans , first van was a fixed bed with small dinette .My current van has a u shaped lounge and the bed needs to be made up. I prefer to make the bed up and I'm so happy with the lounge lay out. We can watch TV ,eat and kick back in a relaxed environment , the bed takes minutes to make up and if I'm by myself I just use a sleeping bag. I found with the fix bed if you have to stay in the van for long periods due to weather , which we did on the Isle of Skye a few years back I felt totally trapped . I know my current van is a tad longer but it's layout suits me for living in . If I was going to change it I would go for the same layout .

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
It depends a lot on how many are using the van, ie family, couple or single. For a single or couple a dinette is a waste of space as it cannot be used for lounging. A couple or single is far better off with a bar version with opposing couch. That way one can lounge whilst the other has a lie down. The rear bed is useful if you have a garage under to store all your must haves. The separate shower and toilet is a must if you are going to use the shower. If taking extended trips, good sized wardrobe and plenty of storage cupboards. If using the van all year round it will have to be factory fully winterised. Good sized fresh and waste water tanks unless you want to spend half your life humping water around. There is no such thing as the perfect van any more than the perfect person. What layout suits one will not suit another. You have to imagine spending time inside the van of your choice as sometimes you have no option but stay inside if the weather is not good. There is nothing worse than a wet week in an unsuitable van. We have had weeks away in the van when it has never stopped raining, but have been happy enough as layouts are the main priority for me.

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
I have settled on a preference, being fixed rear bed, dinette/lounge area, separate shower...all from reading here and trying to picture myself living in one...not sure about LHD or RHD tbh.

Even within that preference there are lots of variables. :Smile:

Fixed rear bed can be transverse bed over garage, French bed, island bed, even two single beds.

Dinette/lounge area has a number of variations too, as do the type of tables: pedestal, drop-down, free-standing folding.

Separate shower can be separate shower cubicle within the washroom, or completely separate shower with toilet and washbasin in another compartment.

Maybe you begin to get my drift: best layout for you is a very personal thing depending on what you like and how you want to use the van. :Smile:

What one Funster thinks is :thumb: another will think is :thumbdown: and a third will think is :Eeek:

Best thing to do is to get along to one of the shows (it's show season!) where there are many, many vans of all types of layout, age, budget to play around in. Nothing beats actually trying out a van, imagining yourself living in it. ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
D

Deckard

Free Member
Mar 26, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
...looking
Exp
Noob
It depends a lot on how many are using the van, ie family, couple or single. For a single or couple a dinette is a waste of space as it cannot be used for lounging. A couple or single is far better off with a bar version with opposing couch. That way one can lounge whilst the other has a lie down. The rear bed is useful if you have a garage under to store all your must haves. The separate shower and toilet is a must if you are going to use the shower. If taking extended trips, good sized wardrobe and plenty of storage cupboards. If using the van all year round it will have to be factory fully winterised. Good sized fresh and waste water tanks unless you want to spend half your life humping water around. There is no such thing as the perfect van any more than the perfect person. What layout suits one will not suit another. You have to imagine spending time inside the van of your choice as sometimes you have no option but stay inside if the weather is not good. There is nothing worse than a wet week in an unsuitable van. We have had weeks away in the van when it has never stopped raining, but have been happy enough as layouts are the main priority for me.

The "perfect layout" was a deliberate ploy to coach a response....I already gather that there no perfect layouts.....but good feedback from those that have many more years experience than me sitting here reading for 3 hours a day...has to be a good :thumb:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I've had 2 vans , first van was a fixed bed with small dinette .My current van has a u shaped lounge and the bed needs to be made up. I prefer to make the bed up and I'm so happy with the lounge lay out. We can watch TV ,eat and kick back in a relaxed environment , the bed takes minutes to make up and if I'm by myself I just use a sleeping bag. I found with the fix bed if you have to stay in the van for long periods due to weather , which we did on the Isle of Skye a few years back I felt totally trapped . I know my current van is a tad longer but it's layout suits me for living in . If I was going to change it I would go for the same layout .

I could have written the same myself. It's exactly our experience except we haven't been to Skye::bigsmile:

For me a fixed bed is great at night but the front dinette and swivel chairs does not make for comfortable lounging or even dining.

OP
OP
D

Deckard

Free Member
Mar 26, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
...looking
Exp
Noob
Even within that preference there are lots of variables. :Smile:

Fixed rear bed can be transverse bed over garage, French bed, island bed, even two single beds.

Dinette/lounge area has a number of variations too, as do the type of tables: pedestal, drop-down, free-standing folding.

Separate shower can be separate shower cubicle within the washroom, or completely separate shower with toilet and washbasin in another compartment.

Maybe you begin to get my drift: best layout for you is a very personal thing depending on what you like and how you want to use the van. :Smile:

What one Funster thinks is :thumb: another will think is :thumbdown: and a third will think is :Eeek:

Best thing to do is to get along to one of the shows (it's show season!) where there are many, many vans of all types of layout, age, budget to play around in. Nothing beats actually trying out a van, imagining yourself living in it. ::bigsmile:

Thanks for the feedback maz, I have spent a lot of time reading and visiting dealers and looking round. What you cant grasp is what some of it actually means. I see very small cooker tops (I love to cook and am something of a foodie) so this worries me....

...i just literally wanted to hear what people liked and disliked about their chosen layouts as there is always something in there you can pick up on...

I am trying to get it "right first time" ...I am selling the house and moving into a MH and going full time from the getgo....could be 5 years before i save enough to try another!!

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I could have written the same myself. It's exactly our experience except we haven't been to Skye::bigsmile:

For me a fixed bed is great at night but the front dinette and swivel chairs does not make for comfortable lounging or even dining.

Me as well fixed dinette is just that mostly small and fixed, if you have a u shape at the back you can even leave your bed up if you are out in the day and a seperate table means you can sit on your bed to eat if you want or if its nice take it outside, but you are paying so its got to be what suits YOU

G4OGE

Free Member
Apr 11, 2013
Northwich,Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Don't have one yet
Exp
Caravanning 30+ years
It's difficult

I'm trying to put together the right van for me I have read lots of different threads to try and see what the best options are at the moment it is still difficult I want to tour around the whole of the UK the length of time I'm not sure about yet a month may be longer.

what would be best small enough to get into and out of places parking but big enough to not feel cramped fuel costs even should I go full time if it works out. I have looked at the Bailey approach which has a fixed bed is low profile and for the money not a bad build or just a simple 2 berth with a fixed bed.

Many just seem to get on with it and say sod it which sounds good too it is an expensive thing to buy so we must get it as right as possible I think it seems a world away from the giant pearl tent we started out with it just did not seem to be a problem then it must just be an age thing we have to be comfortable now with all the trimmings.:Confused:

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
...i just literally wanted to hear what people liked and disliked about their chosen layouts as there is always something in there you can pick up on...

One thing I disliked about both my vans was the enormous German table. Ok, so both slid to and fro, up and down, and had folding flaps - they were still enormous! I spent all my time walking sideways just to get round them. So first thing I did was remove and store them. Replacement is a good quality free-standing folding table with a leg at each corner and no cross-struts to get in the way regardless of who sits where. When not in use it stores neatly in the cab where it doubles up as a towel rack. :Smile:

Motorhomers' mantra #34: Everything in the van should have at least two uses. ::bigsmile:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I would love £10 for every time I hit my head on the front drop down bed on my old van::bigsmile:

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
I don't think there is an ideal van/mh/rv. They all come with their compromises.
I like American RVs, the space, comfort, and amenities of a small hotel.
Some like small, one vehicle does all type of MH. Each to their own, and everyones needs are different.
As has been said before, if the weather is wet, how do you cope? We have been in tents when the weather has been awful. We got by. That's camping.
What it boils down to is............Do YOU like it?
Whatever you buy, there will be something better, and something worse.
I remember someone said to me when I was buying, "whatever you fancy, buy one bigger, there is never enough room".

Craig

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Having owned God knows how many motorhomes, campervans and Rvs in the past the layout we have now is as near perfect for US that I have ever had. The van is just under 7 metres so it can go anywhere, has the big walkthrough garage with the fixed bed above, separate shower and toilet, and best of all lounges in my opinion which is the bar version. This gives 3 reclining pilot seats and a couch. The only downside we have found is the small preparation area in the kitchen, but am in the process of remedying that soon with dropdown work surfaces. The van was built to customer order as a 2 berth, so no unwanted beds taking up room and loads of storage.

Attachments

• RMB 015.jpg
    RMB 015.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 31
  • RMB 014.jpg
    RMB 014.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 27
  • RMB 013.jpg
    RMB 013.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 27
  • RMB 011.jpg
    RMB 011.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 27
  • RMB 012.jpg
    RMB 012.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 27
Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
I've only had the one van but this is my fourth year with it. It has a U shaped lounge which enables me to entertain (which I enjoy). I've had 6 people eating at the table but must admit it was a bit of a squeeze. 4 is a much better number. Like you, I like to cook. Therefore, I have a 4 ring cooker (one of which is electric) so in effect a 3 ring gas cooker, a grill and oven. The van is a two berth at 6.1m. Easily parked in a supermarket and handled easily b y 1 person. When I last worked for a living I used it 5 days/nights a week for a whole 12 months.

Against:

Not enough storage space (no garage).
Have to make the bed up each evening.
Does not have separate shower room.
No microwave.
Swivelling seat is of no use in this layout.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
One thing to remember is weight we have just had a major shock on to axel weigh at Leeds both axels within limits but over gross by 60 kilos
Dry tanks and not a lot of gear with us only thing we had extra was little genny only about 20 kilos
God help us when we load up for morocco

And after a weekend at Peterborough we have come to conclusion we are not changing vans our burstner T640 is ok for us to Improve we would have to go to a 7or 8 meter van probably tag axel we could afford to swap and then not able to afford to run it and have no funds to enjoy it
I did see a big hobbie that I fell in love with
Conclusion for Elaine and I no changes

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Perfect Van for us is the one we have now and had for the past 7 years, over the years we have had different layouts, for 2 people it just works.

Drop down bed, but I can sit up in it, 3 Comfortable Captain seats Long settee that you can pull out in the evening and loz around, great table with no legs to get in the way, end kitchen so I can cook in peace.

Good size toilet and excellent separate shower.
Good storage lockers underneath.
Wet storage beeny box.
All this in 6 metres of van.

Yes I am very happy with my Hymer 584. :Smile:

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
For us , its the one we have got.
AND we got it right first time.:thumb:

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Posted on Broken Link Removed about our ideal van, we went for the Starspirit in 2010 with the U shaped lounge as we don't think dinettes are good for relaxed seating. Two years later and hankering after a fixed bed, large fridge and better storage in the kitchen we saw the, almost, perfect replacement at Peterborough in the Bailey Approach. The 740SE has twin facing sofas, or a dinette option, plus everything else we want, only drawback is the lack of external access to storage, plus it's not the German van we planned for next time.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Posted on Broken Link Removed about our ideal van, we went for the Starspirit in 2010 with the U shaped lounge as we don't think dinettes are good for relaxed seating. Two years later and hankering after a fixed bed, large fridge and better storage in the kitchen we saw the, almost, perfect replacement at Peterborough in the Bailey Approach. The 740SE has twin facing sofas, or a dinette option, plus everything else we want, only drawback is the lack of external access to storage, plus it's not the German van we planned for next time.

We looked at one of those.

Very nice van:thumb:

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
We looked at loads , new and second hand vans and had set ourselves a budget.We ended up with a dinette and rear kitchen and i still think we made the right choice for us.Didnt want a fixed bed as we found them small in the front area and closed off in the rear.Then we looked at u shaped lounge without overcab bed and bed needed making up as it does in our dinette area.We have the option of the overcab (which we dont use) or the dinette area for sleeping.We turn the whole area into a super kingsize and still have full access to the kitchen so i can put my orders in for drinks etc.Plenty of room for the 2 of us at 6.5 metres and can park the baby anywhere.Fitted swivel seats last week which makes full use of the space too and of course loads of storage in the overcab bed.There ive just convinced myself even further.:Smile:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
i still bare the scars from our last van the ladder fixing was just at forehead hight:cry:

Thats the one:Angry:

Difficult not to swear even with my daughter sat there(laughing)::bigsmile:

Sep 5, 2008
York
Funster No
MH
C Class Bessacarr 769
Exp
Since July 2010
We looked for 2 years before buying our Bessacarr 769. Island bed and 2 seats in lounge area. Always we went back to the same one. Had Bessie for 3 years now and totally happy with it. Would always go for the same option. We have a tv in the lounge area and one in the bedroom. Only drawback for some would be the length at 8.67 metres. Saying that we fit perfectly into supermarket car parks. We have electric bikes to get around. Local transport is usually good.. Never feel short of space.. On rainy days we can sit out in the awning area with the screen curtains. Flop in the lounge area or flop on the bed. Kitchen a good size. And good size bathroom.

Lin

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
The perfect layout does not exist.

You need to look for the Perfect Compromise.:Smile:

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We are on our 3rd van and Autoroller 707. ideal for as as we have teenage children who may or may not come with us. If they do the bunk beds are ideal, better than fiddling around with the dinette area. If they don't , then we lift up one bed and increase the garage space, especially good for when we go motocross racing. Huge overcab which I love, very comfy mattress. large toilet and separate shower. the only downside is the smaller oven with combines grill but this is common with European vans as the idea is to obviously be cooking outside in the glorious sunshine......:ROFLMAO: And I drove her for the first time towing the motorcycle trailer, the Euro 5 engine is brilliant, so much more torque than our previous van. this layout is as perfect as we can get for the time being but I foresee a fixed bed in years to come when I can't leap up the ladder any more.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
I spent 2 years and many nights on the internet, Autotrader and eBay looking for what I would want to spend my hard earned cash on:active: I visited 3 NEC Shows and on the first visit I was convinced that I wanted a rear U shaped lounge, but at the first NEC I met 4 couples that were trading their U lounges for fixed beds. I enquired as to why and to a man they all said the same and that they didn’t want to, or didn’t like having to make up the bed at night and then completely pack away the bed and bedding before settling down in the lounge. This suits lots of Funsters and it’ll always be a personal choice for the individual to select:notworthy:

So I continued my search until I ended up at Autotrail and selected the Dakota SE model with the fixed bed at the rear, a side separate shower and toilet, 2 side facing sofa’s in the lounge area that pull together for a double bed if required and a further 2 over the cab with a pull out feature to extend it to size (I haven’t slept up there, but those who have say its very comfy and warm). I love my cooking and wanted to have a decent kitchen too, so the cooker has 3 gas rings and one electric hob plus a full grill and oven. The sink has a drainer and for me that was important as a lot of vans don’t have one and not a lot of worktop space either. Most kitchen sinks have a split cover option, so you can cover half and extend the working area for prepping food etc. It has a microwave, but these only work on hookup, so you can plan accordingly when shopping etc. Even with a full size fixed bed there is a rear window which I love as I use it while driving and it helps me to predict what’s coming up behind me, before it arrives. It also helps with the camera while reversing. It also has the usual exterior shower and gas BBQ point to run off the hot water and vans gas bottles if required. Also lots of storage which was a must and while there are only 2 of us, we use the area above the cab to store the bags etc.

There really is no perfect motorhome, only what’s more suitable for you and your needs. As already mentioned you need to consider the size of the fresh and grey water tanks, if they’re heated or not (should you want to cruise all year), the type and kind of toilet and even the size of the sinks, as try washing your hands in a tiny sink and you’ll realise what I mean. Then there’s whether you want alloy wheels etc, as to me it was one of my considerations. Also I wanted a door that opened on the passengers (nearside) so that when I’m getting in and out in the UK while parked in a lay-by for whatever reason, we didn’t get out into the traffic:thumb:

Good luck with the hunt. I’m biased to Autotrail now and would look for my next van to the Comanche as for me, it has everything I could ever wish for::bigsmile:riving2:

Apologies it’s a long one, but lots to say.

http://www.auto-trail.co.uk/model/frontier/comanche

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back