Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
In the early stages of looking at an Autotrail 840 SE 2006 model.
Can anyone offer any advice, opinions, good or bad, would like to hear the lot.
Many thanks in advance, Bill :Smile:

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Bill,

I have a 2006 Autotrail Dakota SE, with the 2.8 JTD and I love it!! Awesome motorhomes and I believe you get a lot of build quality for your money. Sorry it's not a direct comparison but I can wave the Autotrail flag if it helps ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile::thumb:

OP
OP
MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Thanks PP Bear for getting back to me! Must admit,it does look fantastic and we do love Autotrails. OH however it a bit concerned that she hasn't managed to get to grips with our 23ft 9in Elddis let alone jumping to a whopping 28ft Autotrail! :Eeek: Also concerned about parking etc. Again,many thanks!
Bill

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
Looks I well fitted out model, you do get used to the length, mines a 28ft one and you just have to be aware of the overhang swinging out when turning, mind you I also put a car on a twin axle trailer behind and I got used to that as well !!

dave

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Thanks PP Bear for getting back to me! Must admit,it does look fantastic and we do love Autotrails. OH however it a bit concerned that she hasn't managed to get to grips with our 23ft 9in Elddis let alone jumping to a whopping 28ft Autotrail! :Eeek: Also concerned about parking etc. Again,many thanks!
Bill

Bill,

I believe that your good lady will adapt in no time at all. She'll already be by aware of the vehicles overhang, weight, height and limitations and this is just a tiny bit more than she's used too, she'll be cruising in no time at all ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

My next home will be the Autotrail Commanche as its just the best I've ever seen. I spent hours drooling over it at both the last 2 NEC shows and near signed away an arm and a leg for a new one......must have been the testosterone, smell of leather and flashy lights that did it, but I resisted and will wait to see a secondhand one I fancy.

Good luck with it all and just think, the sunshines here and summers on it's way :Cool::Cool::Cool:

Safe motorhoming to you both Bill

http://www.auto-trail.co.uk/model/frontier/comanche

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Bill

It`s all about compromises, we have the Arapaho which is the same size we love the huge "U" shaped lounge ok so it`s a large motorhome but when on site they are fantastic.
Yes they are big on the road and too big for some campsites, odd how 8.5mtrs is the max a lot of sites will take.
You won`t get into every garage for fuel, some supermarket car parks are too small, (always check you can get out before going in) we have just learned to live with that and plan accordingly.
One thing is excellent is the ride, they don`t follow the ruts left by the big trucks on the motorway the way the smaller motorhomes do, the Tag axle gives excellent stability and the wind doesn`t knock them about so much when parked up, we hardly ever have to wind the steadies down.

Oh and they seem a whole lot bigger when you get the bucket and sponge out to clean and polish them.

My Dog Likes Fishing

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2012
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678
Exp
Hang on while I look at my watch
Got the 2006 Scout and its brilliant. The layout with the lounge at the back and the seperate dining area is our ideal layout. The overcab bed is dead comfy and we sleep like logs.

Build quality is superb and apart from frost damage cos some dimwit forgot to drain the system down it's been virtually fault free.:cry:

Only gripe is the radio reception was crap but all sorted now with a new aerial.:thumb:

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
mine is a 27 foot RV
i get on to most sites ok
takes up four car parking bays in Asda car park

i also tow a car trailer behind
you do soon get used to the length and size of them

just get oout there and relax enjoy you will be throwing it about like a mini van in no time :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Bill,

I believe that your good lady will adapt in no time at all. She'll already be by aware of the vehicles overhang, weight, height and limitations and this is just a tiny bit more than she's used too, she'll be cruising in no time at all ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

My next home will be the Autotrail Commanche as its just the best I've ever seen. I spent hours drooling over it at both the last 2 NEC shows and near signed away an arm and a leg for a new one......must have been the testosterone, smell of leather and flashy lights that did it, but I resisted and will wait to see a secondhand one I fancy.

Good luck with it all and just think, the sunshines here and summers on it's way :Cool::Cool::Cool:

Safe motorhoming to you both Bill

http://www.auto-trail.co.uk/model/frontier/comanche

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Hi PPBear!

Thanks very much for your post, just had a look at the link, not sure if I should have, they're all fantastic. Margaret's getting more agitated at the thought of 28 feet of motorhome. Trying to sell her on the smell of leather :winky:, but the more excited I get, the more agitated she gets:roflmto::roflmto:

Will keep praying for a lottery win in the meantime:cry:
Bill

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Got the 2006 Scout and its brilliant. The layout with the lounge at the back and the seperate dining area is our ideal layout. The overcab bed is dead comfy and we sleep like logs.

Build quality is superb and apart from frost damage cos some dimwit forgot to drain the system down it's been virtually fault free.:cry:

Only gripe is the radio reception was crap but all sorted now with a new aerial.:thumb:

We have got the Scout and the layout is perfect for us.

Very impressed by Autotrail so far.:thumb:

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
another scout owner here, had it for 4 years, no major issues just normal wear n tear or "other maker componant" failures, pretty well put togeather but Ive never anything else to compare it with, so dont get too blinkered by one make or modle

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back