Satellite in a suitcase - Offer at Lidl (1 Viewer)

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Lidl is offering

Weekly Specials from Thursday 24th April, 2008

Portable Satellite Receiver
This portable set includes all you need to receive free-to-air digital channels and radio programmes on holiday or at home. Set includes: digital satellite receiver, satellite dish, single LNB, infrared remote control. £69.99 (which is very good value!)

They are also offering other camping bits and pieces.

Ginny

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Lidl is offering

Weekly Specials from Thursday 24th April, 2008

Portable Satellite Receiver
This portable set includes all you need to receive free-to-air digital channels and radio programmes on holiday or at home. Set includes: digital satellite receiver, satellite dish, single LNB, infrared remote control. £69.99 (which is very good value!)

They are also offering other camping bits and pieces.

Ginny

Cheers Ginny.:thumb: Link Removed

Link Removed

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Looks interesting.
Can someone tell me if I can use my laptop and win dongle with this or will I need a telly as well?

Also at newark I saw a few people with dishes monted on the side of their vans how? I was too shy to ask:RollEyes:

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Also at newark I saw a few people with dishes monted on the side of their vans how? I was too shy to ask:RollEyes:[/QUOTE]
They probably are using a suction glass lifter about £5 from Screwfix. The handle is hollow and can take a section of tubing to supprt the dish.

OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
If this is the same model, and it certainly looks the same, as the one we have; then the 'sucker thing' is included, along with other ways of mounting the dish.

We are using ours in Spain and we are getting perfect reception - but not BBC and ITV. Keith has used one like ours in conjunction with a sky receiver and I think he tunes in with the receiver in the kit and then piggy backs the sky receiver to get all the sky chanells.

There are instructions on how to set up the dish on another post, but I can recommend this, we were going to buy an automatic on the roof jobby, but we are going to stick with this, apparently it works just as well unless you have a very large dish!!

Sorry about the cost, must have caught the 9 instead of the 5!!

Ginny

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
These are the instructions for setting up the dish. Once you have done it a couple of times it is a doddle!!

You have to remember to search for the new chanells when you go further south. There is a lot of rubbish (lots of erotic/religious/shopping channels,) some of which you wouldn't want the kids to catch a glimpse of, but if you use the receiver for Sky News, BBC World etc and Eurosport when you are out of range of BBC and ITV it is fine. From what I understand even the expensive automatic systems can't pick up BBC and ITV any better than the little suitcase version!

SETTING UP THE SATELLITE DISH

1. Try to park MH in the right direction in relation to the external aerial!
2. Point 'the dish' to the East & have the dish vertical. This is for the UK, Europe will be different with the dish sloping further back.
3. Disconnect receiver from power, attach Sat Finder to dish then plug in receiver. NB The reason for this is that the small current that the cable carries can damage the receiver if it shorts.
4. Whistling from Sat Finder
5. Turn Sat finder down to 1 or 2 lights only.
6. Rotate the dish towards the South from the initial easterly direction until all lights are on again.
7. Tighten all wing nuts securely
8. Disconnect Sat receiver from power
9. Remove Sat Finder
10. Reconnect Sat cable to dish and connect power to the receiver.
11. Go to INFO on the receiver and adjust until a good signal is available.

These excellent instructions are from Keith.

Ginny

OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Derek and Chris (Freestyle) have just arrived on site and Michael has tuned their suitcase dish in and managed to find the BBC and ITV chanells!!!

He is going to have to retune our dish now!!!!

Ginny

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Derek and Chris (Freestyle) have just arrived on site and Michael has tuned their suitcase dish in and managed to find the BBC and ITV chanells!!!

He is going to have to retune our dish now!!!!

Ginny

Way you Ginny, now you know why I say the most important thing is to experiment. :thumb:

Make mistakes, the man who never made a mistake never made owt.

You will have to tell me how Mike did it. :Eeek:

OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
He tuned them in purely by accident!!!!! By the time Derek and Chris had changed and were ready to go to the restaurant - all the BBC and ITV chanells had 'lost signal', so maybe it was an atmospheric fluke!!!

Derek and Chris have just left for all points North, whilst we are planning to go south tomorrow if the weather stays cloudy!

Ginny

P

Paulie

Deleted User
Is the Satfinder included in the Lidl Kit?

3. Disconnect receiver from power, attach Sat Finder to dish then plug in receiver. NB The reason for this is that the small current that the cable carries can damage the receiver if it shorts.

This 'ere Satfinder, is it included with the Lidl kit, or is it an extra?

Paulie

OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
The sat finder is not included in the box, we bought ours from Lidl for £4.99 a few weeks ago.

To be honest, if you have a good compass, not the one included in the box, you will be able to tune the dish in just as well as with the sat finder. You still have to press 'info' on the remote control and shout to your partner fiddling with the dish outside to ensure you get about 70% on the signal intensity and signal quality.

We found it difficult and frustrating at first, but after attending Newark and being shown how to set up the dish by Keith, we have managed within a couple of minutes every time since.

Ginny

Digger Driver

Free Member
Oct 4, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I just bought one and thought it was easy to set up!
Use the compass!
Then search for channels!
Press info on any channel!
Press 1 to get the beeper!
Then fine tune!
Once you have fine tuned do another search and get about 1000 channels of absolute rubbish!:ROFLMAO:
Its pretty cool though and well worth £65!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back