Leaving the van abroad - update on insurance (1 Viewer)

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
I have been trying to find out if there is an insurance company that will cover our van if we leave it in Spain to fly home for a couple of weeks mid-trip. Our present insurance with Safeguard states we can only leave the van a maximum of 48 hrs unattended.
I contacted MMM magazine to see if they could help and after looking into it suggested I contact the following company.
This is the result of that contact - although too late for us as we leave Monday and have changed our plans it may be of interest to others.
Obviously the fine details would need checking out.
No idea what their premium would be, may ask them when insurance is next due!

Email sent to Vantage Insurance Services:

I own a motorhome that is presently insured and used it to travel to Europe.
I would like that ability to leave the motorhome at my property in Spain whilst I fly home for a few weeks but my present insurers will not cover the motorhome if it is left unattended for more than 48hours.
I have looked at a few other policies and they seem to have a similar stance on this.
I contacted MMM Magazine to see if they could offer any help and received an reply email from Terry Acreman saying he had looked into this and had found that cover is available through you with Equity Red Star for 356 days European cover with no absence clause (i.e. I could leave the van in Spain whilst I fly back to the UK).
He says that he has double checked this but as far as I can tell by reading the policy wording on the internet you only cover 180 days abroad and I have to stay with the van.
Can you tell me which is correct.
Many thanks
Jacky Gould

Email received from Vantage Insurance Services:
Dear Mr Gould.
Following on from my email last week re the European Cover, we now have some good news.
ERS have agreed that as their policy wording does not stipulate an amount of time the insured motorhome can be left unattended whist in the EU nor in fact the UK, As a policyholder you do not need to advise us when leaving the unit for any period of time unattended whilst in the EU &/or UK.
I hope this now clarifies matters and if a quote is required please telephone our office.
Kind regards

Lorraine Holland

Lorraine Holland | Service Team Leader
Vantage Insurance Services Limited | Juniper House | Warley Hill Business Park | Brentwood | Essex | CM13 3BE
DDI: 01277 202700 | Fax: 01277 243100

Vantage Insurance Services Limited (VISL) is registered in England (No 03441136) and is authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back