PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Found this on the net. Was looking for ideas ref security etc and it looks a good idea too, so I thought I'd share it with my fellow Funsters ::bigsmile:

Basic outline is that you log on with them, give them a 7 digit security number (post code, name reg number etc) and they register it, then send you them in large format for you to stick on the roof for mr plod to find......simples

www.skytag.co.uk

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
Is mr Plod really going to get out in his £3000 per hour twin engined squirrel, or his McDonnell Douglas 'notar' helicopter to go find a stolen vehicle?

Craig

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I would have thought the reg number on the roof would have been sufficient?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 22, 2011
NE Wales
Funster No
MH
Chausson Best of 10
Exp
Since Feb 2013….2nd Van
Realistically you would need to know the road the vehicle was travelling on for the police to respond. More likely to be of use if used in conjunction with a tracker. On its own pretty ineffective.

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
If we put letters on the top of any of our vehicles the only people we would tell would be our local police and only if it had been stolen.

OP
OP
PP Bear

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Is mr Plod really going to get out in his £3000 per hour twin engined squirrel, or his McDonnell Douglas 'notar' helicopter to go find a stolen vehicle?

Craig

Thanks Craig, that's helpful:Doh:

OP
OP
PP Bear

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
One of my friends (a tugger not a motorhomer) told me today, that he has a sign in the back window that reads.....

"If you can read this sign please call the police as I've been stolen"

He simply takes the sign out when he leaves with the van. Probably nothing but it makes him feel good and MAY just save his pride and joy::bigsmile:

OP
OP
PP Bear

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Realistically you would need to know the road the vehicle was travelling on for the police to respond. More likely to be of use if used in conjunction with a tracker. On its own pretty ineffective.

It's just another means of POSSIBLY getting your pride and joy back and not that expensive either.

The only way to be as sure as possible is to have a tracker, but they're quite expensive and not something we all think about until it's too late:cry:

Mar 22, 2011
NE Wales
Funster No
MH
Chausson Best of 10
Exp
Since Feb 2013….2nd Van
The only way to be as sure as possible is to have a tracker, but they're quite expensive and not something we all think about until it's too late:cry:

Have a look at this PP, for some inexpensive tracker options. Started as a product review, members then added some really good alternatives

Broken Link Removed

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
If I saw a sign in the back window like that I'd think it was someone's attempt at a joke,and as for stickers on the roof most mh thieves would just peel them off!
Tracking devices need not be expensive with today's technology !

Link Removed

Vlad

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
takes up to 5 times longer to remove than standard graphics....

it'll take a hell of a lot longer if you get on the roof with a roll of masking tape and a tin
of black gloss paint.

as simsy56 said, the police cant afford to scramble their helicopter just to find one stolen vehicle unless its being driven dangerously, wont stop or been used in a robbery and is too dangerous for police to pursue etc

so, unless you know of any 14ft tall coppers it is a waste of time and money

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
I think if you're serious about protecting your motorhome then you need a blended approach to security.
Firstly .. good locks in addition to standard ones and consider cat locks too for your exhaust.
A decent immobiliser and alarm designed for your type of vehicle and installed correctly
A tracker. The best types imho being the ones that incorporate gps, gsm and rf.
Cost is obviously a consideration and simple solutions such as security posts on your driveway a decent un-obvious key storage point in your house, wheel clamp and/or pedal or steering wheel lock may be all you need. I have a cctv system that emails me a photo instantly a picture of anyone on the drive. I can watch it live from my phone and listen live also. A roof sticker is not going to prevent theft and is unlikely to assist in recovery without a tracker.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back