Routing camera wiring in a Fiat cab (1 Viewer)

biggsy

Free Member
Apr 1, 2012
Hull
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
As a relative newcomer (1 year) and without advanced DIY skills I approached the fitting of a reversing camera with trepidation. Searching the forums etc. gave lots of general advice, but little detail. I post this in the hope that it might be of help to someone in the same situation.

I bought a mirror-mounted monitor, and decided I would route the wiring to the rear underneath the van, rather than disassembling cupboards etc. The bit from the monitor down to the driver's door was easy - take out the socket screws holding the sun visor and the roof lining will pull down enough to feed a wire through to the A-pillar. The plastic moulding covering the A-pillar simply levers off and clicks back on. I removed the fuse box cover and its surrounding mouldings (screws and levering) and fed the wire through there. Next, I removed the curved piece of plastic running from under the dashboard to the drivers footwell (three screws) and fed the wires alongside the large bundle of cable already there.

I then removed the footwell moulding, removing the oval-shaped screw covers by levering them. At the rear of the footwell I found a closed rubber grommet filling a hole. Looking underneath, I discovered that this gives access to a box member with a hole in the bottom of it. This was then the route out from the cab to the underneath of the van.

I removed the grommet and cut a cross in it to feed the wires through, tied some string around the end of the wire and a cable tie on the other end of the string (to give some stiffness) and fished around until I was able to poke the cable tie through the bottom hole in the box member and pull it all through. The rest was then relatively simple, feeding the cable through trunking along the underneath of the van and tying it in with cable ties and brackets.

Hope this may be useful to others.

Incidentally, I eventually found that the van was already pre-wired for a camera. No mention of this in any of the documentation, of course. Are all manufacturers as bad a s Chausson at revealing detail like this?

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Hye how did you identify the prewired system

my Adria, had the video cable behind the radio marked with a white label with a camera on it, and at the other end the same but in the corner of the top locker at the rear of the van. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 22, 2011
NE Wales
Funster No
MH
Chausson Best of 10
Exp
Since Feb 2013….2nd Van
Incidentally, I eventually found that the van was already pre-wired for a camera. No mention of this in any of the documentation, of course. Are all manufacturers as bad a s Chausson at revealing detail like this?

Interestingly I was looking through my 2008 Peugeot Boxer Van handbook and noticed a Rear Camera option when buying new. Same question...would the wiring already be in situ???

OP
OP
B

biggsy

Free Member
Apr 1, 2012
Hull
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
In reply to Dubiousp, it was when I was routing the wires through the rear wall that I found both a video wire with plug and a power socket plug tucked into a small hole where the rear high-level brake light cam through. By that time I'd done the job with the new wires, so haven't bothered trying to find where the existing ones come out at the front end. Why are we not told these things?

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Installed mine at the weekend but decided to drop the cables down from the roof to the floor via some existing trunking on the back of the toilet wall. Then it went it followed the heating ducts up to the cab. It was easier than I'd expected but still took 4hrs inc the camera install, roof drilling and power connections.

These Pre wires seem to be kept quiet by the manufacturers, I guess they prefer us to be taking more factory fit options, wonder why:winky:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back