How attached are you to your 'van? (1 Viewer)

Touchwood

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
We all love our 'vans, I know, but how emotionally attached are you? Do you view it as the purely functional adjunct to your chosen leisure activity/way of life, or is it more personal than that?

It starts, I suppose, by giving it (her/him) a name. After that you're on the slippy slope - you start feeling sorry for leaving her in storage, all on her own with no-one to talk to except that snotty Hymer on one side or that common little tart of a battered caravan on the other. When you go to pick her up she wags her exhaust pipe excitedly, and if you're not going away but only giving her a run out or doing some maintenance she looks positively doleful when you take her back; her wing mirrors droop dejectedly and there's a sad little whine when you turn the engine off. She's never resentful, though, and rather like a large and faithful dog will always welcome you and do her best for you.

I haven't yet descended so far into madness as to leave an old sweater with my smell on it in the driver's seat to keep her company, or calling round to talk to her when I'm not actually going to use her - but maybe it's only a matter of time?

Does anyone else suffer from this pitiful aberration? Or is it just me? Should I seek professional advice? Is it too late.......?

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
'Shirley' (she's a Valentine) is definitely part of the family and responds well to a kind word and some TLC ::bigsmile:

She's got a bit of a problem with a crumbling undercarriage at the moment but haven't we all :ROFLMAO:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Oh our Hymer "don't ask that's what we call her" probabbly because we wanted one for so long when we got her the Hymer just seemed the right thing to call her, and she is not at all snotty, I would make sure she always has something to keep her bonnet clean.

Now as you can tell we are not attached to her Not Much :rollonfloor:we even bought some sheepskin covers for her seats so she does not get cold in the winter, we like to take her for regular little trips, in fact this week end we are takeing her Motor Bike raceing with Hilldweller:Eeek: then we may take her to the beach for some fresh air. Oh dear she has got me rambling on about her again, what was it you said do we get attached.:Blush:

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
It's like our house, for living in when we need too.
Also, it is a money pit, like our house.

Emotionally attatched, no.
Financially attatched, yes.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
It's like our house, for living in when we need too.
Also, it is a money pit, like our house.

Emotionally attatched, no.
Financially attatched, yes.

Your a toughy, while away overseas this week I mentioned to my buddy that I'm missing my van......he enquired about the fraunline!!!:winky:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Our first camper was a pop-top Autosleeper on a Commer base, as the registration was MMJ, he became Marmajuke (yes I know it's spelled wrong!). Our next one was an ex-ambulance so was known as Eeyore after the noise he used to make in a previous life! ::bigsmile:

Then we had an Elddis Autoquest and his registration was HCT I think, so became Hector.

Our next one, a Swift Suntor 590RS had the registration FE51 PEO so was known as Peony, then our Rapido 709F was just known as the 'baby' as he was soooooooooo cute!!! I don't remember ever giving our Rimor a 'new' name but as he was a hansom beast 'Rimor' just seemed most appropriate. I did name our Chasson Flash 04 - I used to watch the TV series "Without a Trace" with Anthony LaPaglia who Mum referred to as 'chubby chops', so as the Chausson was chubby we called him Anthony too!

Now we've got our Autocruise Accent but I haven't actually named 'it' although I do refer to 'it' as him! :RollEyes: Nothing seems to 'go' with the registration - FX12 DCF ... any suggestions?

Now as a digression, we have named some of our cars ... we used to have a Bond minicar so as hubby worked in the stationery business it seemed most appropriate to call the car Basildon Bond.:roflmto: And of course I've now got my purpley-pink Smart car known as the 'flying plum'!

Last edited:

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
My Hymer is kept in storage 4.5 miles away. I run to the storage yard to bring her out and of course I run back when I lock her up again.

The long run uphill is a thrill, the easy down hill return is just glum.

Nothing quite like the tingle I get when she is about to have a nice long trip.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Now we've got our Autocruise Accent but I haven't actually named 'it' although I do refer to 'it' as him! :RollEyes: Nothing seems to 'go' with the registration - FX12 DCF ... any suggestions?

There was 2 films about a special FX film engineer, so as the reg is FX12 (FX parts one and 2), why not call it Special.....seems fitting!!::bigsmile::thumb:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Our motorhome has a name.. We call her 'the van'

But you will notice we have anthropomorphised it.. 'she'

Woman always talks to her when the going gets tough, and often pats her dash to encourage her ( :Eeek::Eeek: :Blush: )

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
Your a toughy, while away overseas this week I mentioned to my buddy that I'm missing my van......he enquired about the fraunline!!!:winky:

Not a toughy, just practical.

I have actually given it a name, but Mrs k doesn't like it.
Because of the ongoing "faults from new" situation, I have started calling it Van Friday (as in Man Friday from Robinson Crusoe) because it was a Friday afternoon build. Also, like Man Friday, it does lots of things that we want, but never quite right. :Doh:

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
We all love our 'vans, I know, but how emotionally attached are you? Do you view it as the purely functional adjunct to your chosen leisure activity/way of life, or is it more personal than that?

It starts, I suppose, by giving it (her/him) a name. After that you're on the slippy slope - you start feeling sorry for leaving her in storage, all on her own with no-one to talk to except that snotty Hymer on one side or that common little tart of a battered caravan on the other. When you go to pick her up she wags her exhaust pipe excitedly, and if you're not going away but only giving her a run out or doing some maintenance she looks positively doleful when you take her back; her wing mirrors droop dejectedly and there's a sad little whine when you turn the engine off. She's never resentful, though, and rather like a large and faithful dog will always welcome you and do her best for you.

I haven't yet descended so far into madness as to leave an old sweater with my smell on it in the driver's seat to keep her company, or calling round to talk to her when I'm not actually going to use her - but maybe it's only a matter of time?

Does anyone else suffer from this pitiful aberration? Or is it just me? Should I seek professional advice? Is it too late.......?

You have serious van issues! But yes, ours is a him, he's called Herman and I love him.:winky:

Shuggy68

Banned
Apr 25, 2012
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
i year
my motorhome

i love my motorhome in away she is better than the wife ......she dosent talk :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
Mine's a boy called Buck, for obvious reasons. I have been known to just go outside and sit in him with a cuppa just to relax. Must get away soon. Stay out sun and wind go away. Maybe next week. ::bigsmile:

Ivy

OP
OP
Touchwood

Touchwood

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
My snotty Hymer (Busby) gets out for a drive every few days even if we are not going away.

I feel I should point out that neither I, nor Rosie (my 'van) think that ALL Hymers are snotty. Just the one that's next to her in the storage yard. ::bigsmile:

frankhanna

Free Member
Apr 2, 2013
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion A class
Exp
Since 2008
Ha...

Guilty as sin!! Thats me. Yes, my van is the Vinny van. See http://www.frankhanna.com/ it has its own reference on our Web site and gets many mentions on our blog http://www.frankhanna.com/blog/

Ironically Vinny was my dog, a white German Shepherd who was called after my late brother Vincent Hanna who some of you may remember as a political journalist on the Newsnight Programme.

So it is a special Van and looks after us well.

Frank

jeepmadmike

Free Member
Dec 23, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
5 years
Not that attached to the van!

Only really ever had a attachment to my jeep cj7- it tried killing me with a high speed roll, I rebuilt it, had lots of fun with it - then it sat in the shed for 9 years so I eventually sold it..... Shouldn't have but new toys where calling

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
help

i need as much help as you. i call mine the snozzer cruiser.but i am lucky i can just fit mine on the drive.i just look out of the window,and there she is.and i get to sit in her when i get lonley.::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back