Main battery lead to ZIG unit (1 Viewer)

Bruce

Free Member
Aug 12, 2012
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER FLAIR
Exp
TWO YEARS
Looking for advice on ZIG unit. I have been advised to run a 4mm cable from main battery to my ZIG unit and install a 25 amp fuse as near to main battery as possible. What kind of fuse should I use? Halfords have a 25 amp inline fuse and holder with a 3mm wire. will this be ok or is there a better way? I already have the 4mm cable so would obviously prefer not to change this.
4mm wire was advised due to the distance from battery to ZIG
Thanks for any help...Bruce

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
not sure if you mean the cylindrical holder with a glass fuse but In my opinion this type is better and fuses are easy to source....maybe even a spare fuse or two in your chassis fuse box

images

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bruce

Bruce

Free Member
Aug 12, 2012
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER FLAIR
Exp
TWO YEARS
not sure if you mean the cylindrical holder with a glass fuse but In my opinion this type is better and fuses are easy to source....maybe even a spare fuse or two in your chassis fuse box

images
This was the one I was thinking of but I was unsure about the 4mm wire going to 3mm wire on the fuse holder so will this be ok Thank you for advice...Bruce

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
This was the one I was thinking of but I was unsure about the 4mm wire going to 3mm wire on the fuse holder so will this be ok Thank you for advice...Bruce
Do you mean this type with the pre-attached wires ?

product152_0_111122194959.jpg

cant see it being a problem if you cut the wires as close as possible to the carrier to connect the 4mm ones but the one i linked will take the 4mm directly.

a thin wire will carry a fair bit of current if its really short.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bruce

Bruce

Free Member
Aug 12, 2012
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER FLAIR
Exp
TWO YEARS
do you mean this type with the pre-attached wires ?

product152_0_111122194959.jpg

cant see it being a problem if you cut the wires as close as possible to the carrier to connect the 4mm ones but the one i linked will take the 4mm directly.

A thin wire will carry a fair bit of current if its really short.

yes this is the one i was going to use. Thanks for reply wanted reassurance what would be the best way to route under the van about 5 or 6 metres........bruce

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
yes this is the one i was going to use. Thanks for reply wanted reassurance what would be the best way to route under the van about 5 or 6 metres........bruce
five or six meters bruce, i would use 6mm cable at least as its the main power supply cable into the van.

secure with cable ties to chassis avoiding sharp edges and anything else which could cause damage.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
just checked on a cable length calculator and they recommend......

Allowable Voltage Drop 3 %
Run Length 6 m
Current Demand 25 A
System Voltage 12 V

Recommended Cable Size 25 mm2

Upvote 0

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
I always remember it as the size goes up 1mm for every foot over the first six. It's a general rule of thumb, and it always pays to check the appliance/application first, but as a guide you won't go far wrong if you remember that.

If battery inside box, you can use the open type fuse holder. If under bonnet or outside and exposed to damp, use the waterproof fuse holders. Most converters will use the open type, but have the fuse holder routed inside the van.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bruce

Bruce

Free Member
Aug 12, 2012
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER FLAIR
Exp
TWO YEARS
i always remember it as the size goes up 1mm for every foot over the first six. It's a general rule of thumb, and it always pays to check the appliance/application first, but as a guide you won't go far wrong if you remember that.

If battery inside box, you can use the open type fuse holder. If under bonnet or outside and exposed to damp, use the waterproof fuse holders. Most converters will use the open type, but have the fuse holder routed inside the

van.

thank you good advice.......bruce

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back