Free Member
Oct 26, 2010
spain 6 mths england 6 mt
Funster No
MH
fifth wheel and truck
Exp
Just finishing our third year of travelling through Spain and France to UK
Hi all, we have not yet taken the plunge but are very keen to buy a fifth wheel. Have just bought the Aires guide to Spain and Portugal and read that these areas are only for Motorhomes not caravans! Does that mean a fifth wheel cannot use them?
Confused. Suse and Dave

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
:welcomefunster:Hello and welcome to Fun, I am not sure of the answer, but I have never seen a fifth wheeler or caravan while staying on aires.
Hopefully someone could verify this, if no one with a fifth wheeler sees the post you could send a pm to Sundowners I am sure they could tell you as they have traveled extensively with their fiver.
All sorts of information on here about touring home and away.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hi all, we have not yet taken the plunge but are very keen to buy a fifth wheel. Have just bought the Aires guide to Spain and Portugal and read that these areas are only for Motorhomes not caravans! Does that mean a fifth wheel cannot use them?
Confused. Suse and Dave
You appear to have the answer, aires are for motorhomes, caravans are not permitted and generally speaking 5th wheels are treated as caravans in this respect how rigidly I have no idea, only a 5th wheel owner who has used or tried to use an aire could tell you that but I have never seen one on an aire.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
not sure if most aores would allow a 5th wheel and also there is the size to take into account

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
I agree with all that has been said in the last three replies...plus with a 5 wheel you are cutting down your options...
But it depends what kind of touring you will be doing.....if you use acsi...most campsites in Spain and Portugal are around 16 euros per night over winter...
If you intend to stay long term they are some better deals in Spain and Portugal for the over winter period..but in summer campsites could be very expensive
A lot of them are called Autocaravanvans (motorhomes)...by doing this they can get away with small sites and be classed as PARKING..... not camping...this is in Portugal...and the police do check as they did on a site we stayed on in Portugal

Last edited:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Am on the Aire du Bois Chaudron at the moment at Euro 2-50 per night including wifi plus Euro 2 if you require electric. As you come into the Aire there is a sign with no tents, caravans, cars, picnicking or articulated vehicles. This is a private Aire, not a municipal but having spoken to the owner last night re the difference between a private and municipal Aire, he informed me the rules are exactly the same, its to do with the licencing regs which state camping cars only. I know many with fivers and caravans do use Airs, but would you really want to be woken in the middle of the night and asked to move.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back