Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
Am I right, one lot drive 200 miles to a campsite, park up for two weeks and then come home. Total annual mileage around 4,000 per year.

The other lot (me) drive 20,000 miles a year and never stay on a campsite.

I'm not saying one group is right and one is wrong but I'd be interested to know how many belong to each group.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Am I right, one lot drive 200 miles to a campsite, park up for two weeks and then come home. Total annual mileage around 4,000 per year.

I'm not saying one group is right and one is wrong but I'd be interested to know how many belong to each group.

I disagree, it cannot be as cut and dried as that. Some times we drive and stay put, sometimes we move on everyday camping on sites, pub car parks, or in the middle of no where, sometimes we move on every 2 or 3 days. That's the beauty of motorhoming you can be whatever type you like at different times.

Rayb182

Funster
Deceased RIP
Nov 13, 2009
Great Bentley
Funster No
MH
Sundance 590 PR
Exp
Since 1999
We're the second lot, drive find a place we like and feel safe, stay there, then after a couple days move on, we have an 07 and done nearly 65000 miles.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Last year was our first year in a MH. We went to France 3 times, 1 week moving about, 2 weeks on one site (booked when we still had the caravan) and another week intending to move about but got to a site, the weather was glorious so we stayed 5 nights.

So far a mix of the two. ::bigsmile:

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
Since we have had the truck EOR
We have covered about 5000 miles
In 5 years
Cam belt change followed by engine destruction 200 miles later

work commitments changed and didn't allow as much use

Then illness
Last week was the first use for nearly 18 mnths

Yes we use campsites mrs t will not wild camp
We usually take the van off site for the day and return at night

Last week we left the van on site and took the bus
I used me new buss pass my child bride paid full fare
To be honest quite enjoyed it that way

But when we first started m/ homing we had two jack Russell crosses
Couldn't bare putting them in kennels and didn't fancy tugging
Didn't want a 4x4 to run m/home seemed right

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

albeano

Free Member
May 13, 2012
bolton
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
4 years

Whe`re in the armytwowheels camp and mix it up a bit hence milage in between.

20000 mls wow that sounds like a lot of time away from the beautiful Hamlet of Bolton ! and ye olde pastie shoppe.:roflmto:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring

I feel you could in reality be far from right, and I would hazard a guess that very few fit into the "one lot and the other lot" that you describe.
The two examples given sound more like extremes at either end of the Motorhoming spectrum.

Most folk will be somewhere between the two, ranging from those who always stay on sites and those who always wild, from those who do either a few hundred miles a year, to those who do thousands parking up on a mix of both.

Over the Easter holiday we toured in Scotland, covering about 1000 miles. We used a mix of both campsites, and wild camping in remote spots. This summer we will do a 6 week tour around Europe, again using a mix of campsites, Aires and wilding. We also take off at weekends when we can.

Which "group" would we fall into?

Some folk would love the chance to do 20,000 miles a year, we (and many) cannot as we sadly still have work and the children are still at school.:cry:, but we will probably manage 8000 to 9000 miles this year.

This is the joy and Fun of the motorhome, it can be whatever you want it to be, it can take you wherever, and however far, you want to go, and when you get there you can stay wherever you want to stay....:thumb::thumb:

:Smile:

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years

put a poll up with a few choices should be interesting:RollEyes:

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
I don't fit into either of those pigeonholes, but veer from one to the other.

134,000 miles on an 05 plate

:roflmto:

SPUD'N'T

Free Member
Aug 25, 2008
YORK ENGLAND
Funster No
MH
COACHBUILT (LOW PROFILE)
Exp
since 2008
We are neither and both, like many others , we chose motorhoming so we can do whatever we want whenever we want :thumb:

Last edited:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
We def do not fit in either category either

Most weekends we go a max of 60 miles.. but do two European trips a year.. I reckon about 8 to 10k per year

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
we to mix it up depends what iys like when we get there and who you meet
theres a 10 plate merc coachbuilt near me that im yet to see move in 2 years

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
I disagree, it cannot be as cut and dried as that. Some times we drive and stay put, sometimes we move on everyday camping on sites, pub car parks, or in the middle of no where, sometimes we move on every 2 or 3 days. That's the beauty of motorhoming you can be whatever type you like at different times.

Agree, we are the same:thumb:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+

We are the 20,000 + miles a year....but in the winter we do stop a little longer on small sites but more like Aires...it all depends what is on offer, to how long we stay in one place in the winter and how busy the area is and how good and what price...you stay where and when you want.....that is motorhoming nothing set in stone

Last edited:

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
We do both.
It all depends on a lot of factors.
Who we are with or on our own.

Just whatever takes our fancy at that moment.

Freddom to do what we want and respect what someone else wants.

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
It may not be as extreme as the question suggested but I agree that there are 2 "camps" - those that go to a place and camp up for weeks, and those that move on after a few days.

We are in the latter group.

On our recent trip to Spain / Morocco we started off with a week (a long time for us) in Javea and met a lot of motorhomers there for 3 months and more. To me this doesn't make the most of having a motorhome, and we get bored after a few days in one place. But some like it which is fine.

We do about 10000 miles per year, usually in 2, occasionally 3, long trips of about 9 weeks plus the odd week or so in Britain. On our longer trips we do stay in camps, also in Aires or equivalents and wild camp where we feel safe to do so.

Apr 27, 2009
Departed Cabopino in Oct 17
Funster No
MH
Dakota
Exp
Fulltiming from 2010- 2017

Couldn't agree more. :thumb:We spent 7 weeks travelling from Bilbao thru Portugal to Cabopino near Marbella, stopping every 3 or 4 days. Then 6 months at Cabo & now we will spend 10 weeks travelling thru Spain & France to St Malo going where we please, but mainly on campsites. Its an infinitely flexible lifestyle. What suits one may or may not suit another.:thumb:

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
We are just plain and simple motorhome enthusiasts who don't care how far we travel of how long it takes. It's all about freedom and to put us into groups is a little silly.
Sometimes we travel 50 miles and stay a week and then might travel 650 miles and stay two nights. We have even travelled 4 miles and stayed a week, which group will that put us I wonder. After 11 motorhomes the yearly mileages varied a lot so let's have a dozen groups ranging from 1000 miles per annum to 20,000 miles.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Couldn't agree more. :thumb:We spent 7 weeks travelling from Bilbao thru Portugal to Cabopino near Marbella, stopping every 3 or 4 days. Then 6 months at Cabo & now we will spend 10 weeks travelling thru Spain & France to St Malo going where we please, but mainly on campsites. Its an infinitely flexible lifestyle. What suits one may or may not suit another.:thumb:

Arrr, you are living my dream. One day that will me us. :thumb:

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
Since we have had the truck EOR
We have covered about 5000 miles
In 5 years
Cam belt change followed by engine destruction 200 miles later

work commitments changed and didn't allow as much use

Then illness
Last week was the first use for nearly 18 mnths

Yes we use campsites mrs t will not wild camp
We usually take the van off site for the day and return at night

Last week we left the van on site and took the bus
I used me new buss pass my child bride paid full fare
To be honest quite enjoyed it that way

But when we first started m/ homing we had two jack Russell crosses
Couldn't bare putting them in kennels and didn't fancy tugging
Didn't want a 4x4 to run m/home seemed right

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Tofo, I love you dearly, well just a bit, but wouldn't you like to have a justified left hand margin? I always started reading your posts as a poem and then have to start again. Just a thought.::bigsmile:

#Ivy

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
What group would you be in if you drive 10000m then stay at a campsite for 2 weeks then drive back home :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
i live in mine
move when i want stay as and were i want
not enough weeks in the year to go every where i would like too
1999 RV 54ooo miles

hey no i am not a pykie
but not in either group

thats confirmed now i am in a group of my own

Last edited:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
i live in mine
move when i want stay as and were i want
not enough weeks in the year to go every where i would like too
1999 RV 54ooo miles

hey no i am not a pykie
but not in either group

thats confirmed now i am in a group of my own

So, only about 3,500 per annum over the life of the van.

Not a lot. Is it too expensive to run or something being an RV?

jeepmadmike

Free Member
Dec 23, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
5 years
Don't fit into either demographic

Use the van for days out, weekends, occasional a few days or just a trip to the beach for fish and chips....

But then we arn't the usual motor home owners!

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I have had many different motorhomes over the years. Big ones, little ones, posh ones, scruffy ones... I even had a red one once... but there was/is something they all had in common... wheels.

I am of the belief that those wheels are there for a purpose... they have a job to do...I say "let them do it..." :winky:

JJ :Cool:

Last edited:

ChocNessie

Free Member
May 6, 2011
Devon
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2010
I agree with the disagree

It is not cut a dried.
I thought that those that ALWAYS drive and stay for two weeks normally have a caravan......
Motorhomes give you the freedom to do as you choose
We do a bit of everything - even abroad we don't tend to stay put more than 4 or 5 nights on our 1500 miles plus summer jaunt.
But then we also do quick weekends at local places Friday after school pick the kids up, homework in the van and home Sunday teatime - bit of fun for the kids and relaxing for me and the other half.
But the we have done halfterm and driven off to one place and stayed 8 nights.

So I think we are all different because we like the freedom to choose.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back