Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
We have an all purpose foam extinguisher in the 'van, made by Thorn EMI - about 1.7 litre capacity. It's fitted with a pressure gauge which is still showing green but has never been serviced - dunno how old it is but it says it should be serviced annually. I've enquired and been quoted £20.00 for a service - strikes me it would be cheaper to buy a new one, and keep the old one as a stand-by.

Any recommendations as to what type to get, and where from?

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Bin it

I would sling it away and buy a dry 2Kg powder for about the same price.

It's not worth keeping the old one 'cos in an emergency if it didn't work you would be wasting valuable time and every second counts.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
A 1kg ABC fire dry powder extinguisher CE marked, with gauge, as recommended by the Caravan Council. A must in the car, caravan or home.
Comes complete with wall mounting bracket.

£11.73 is my price plus postage etc

Peter

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Touchwood

Touchwood

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
Many thanks - that looks just the ticket, John, I'll order one tonight.

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
I would sling it away and buy a dry 2Kg powder for about the same price.

It's not worth keeping the old one 'cos in an emergency if it didn't work you would be wasting valuable time and every second counts.

Good advice,foam extinguishers ,should never be used on electrical fires,wheres a dry powder can be used on all most any fire,we carry 2 2kg dry powder,plus just don't carry them, know how to use them, a small fire can be knocked out so quick,before it takes over,most important stay Safe, Alf.

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
I read somewhere, possibly on this forum that powder extinguishers can "settle" with getting joggled while traveling. It was suggested to invert them a couple of times periodically to keep the powder loose.

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
I read somewhere, possibly on this forum that powder extinguishers can "settle" with getting joggled while traveling. It was suggested to invert them a couple of times periodically to keep the powder loose.

Modern Stored pressure Dry Powder Extinguishers will not settle as the older type of extinguishers used to do, it is a feature of their construction.
Just make sure it it BSI approved.

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
Good advice,foam extinguishers ,should never be used on electrical fires,wheres a dry powder can be used on all most any fire,we carry 2 2kg dry powder,plus just don't carry them, know how to use them, a small fire can be knocked out so quick,before it takes over,most important stay Safe, Alf.

Sorry Alf have to respectfully disagree
colour coding as relates to BS5306

indicates what the content may be as follows

Colour coding of Fire Extinguishers to indicate content
Extinguisher Type

Water
AFFF (Foam)
Powder
Carbon Dioxide
Wet Chemical Colour

Red
Cream
Blue
Black
Yellow Link Removed Link Removed Link Removed Link Removed Link Removed
However foam extinguishers mnowadays are multi-purpose
covering classes a b & c and manufactured in such a way as to not conduct electricity at the small voltages you will find on the average site

(It is still not advisable to tackle generator substations and any type of major fire however.

A foam fire extinguisher is capable of controlling flammable solid fires - those fuelled by ordinary inflammable substances such as wood, paper, cloth, hay etc. - as well as being able to put out a flammable liquid fire – fires fuelled by flammable oils, petrol, diesel, spirits etc. (To use the fire classification system, this type of extinguisher is capable of tackling class A and B fires). All potential users of Link Removed should know what types of fires that particular fire extinguisher is capable and not capable of extinguishing.

A Link Removed is non toxic, non damaging to most materials, extinguishes fires progressively (not suddenly and violently), and prevents the re – ignition of flammable liquid fires. The foam works by forming a blanket on the surface of a burning liquid or solid, this cools and smothers the fire so that there is no oxygen or heat available to re – ignite the fire.

The type of extinguisher comes in a range of sizes and is suitable for the home, car and caravan as well as for business use. Fire fighters also occasionally use foam in certain types of fire due to its ability to tackle flammable liquids and for its cooling and smothering qualities which prevent re - ignition.

A foam fire extinguisher shouldn’t be used on electrical fires. However, most foam extinguishers have passed the 35kv conductivity test,indicating the extinguisher user has added operator safety if it were to be unintentionally used on electrical risks. The extinguisher user may still on the other hand obtain an electric shock if positioned in a residual puddle if the live electrical equipment did not short circuit, which is why foam fire extinguishers are not deemed as suitable for electrical fires.

A conventional foam fire extinguisher contains aqueous film forming foam so is also known as an Link Removed. You may also come across the same type being called a spray foam fire extinguisher due to the type of discharge it has.

This type of fire extinguisher is colour coded with a Cream band on 5% of its body to let any potential user know at a glance which type it is.

Foam fire extinguishers are ideal for use in offices, garages, boats, caravans, kitchens and other multi risk premises. This type of fire extinguisher is highly effective against flammable solid and flammable liquid fires. This includes wood, paper, and textile fires as well as petrol, oil, diesel and other volatile liquid fires. Foam fire extinguishers combine the cooling effect of water with the smothering benefits of AFFF which prevent a fire re-igniting by sealing the flammable vapors. Its spray nozzle gives a wide coverage to boost its fire fighting abilities.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I am thinking about this type
[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/1ltr-Water-Mist-Fire-Extinguisher/dp/B0072GUBJA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1366221999&sr=8-2&keywords=water+mist+fire+extinguisher"]1ltr Water Mist Fire Extinguisher - E-Series: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools[/ame]

Although the dry powder extinguishers can put out most fires they produce immense amounts of mess.

These Dry water extinguishers can be used on all sorts, including electrical and should be less messy. (Don't ask me how water can be dry).

A bit more expensive than powder, I think this is about the cheapest going.

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
I am thinking about this type

Although the dry powder extinguishers can put out most fires they produce immense amounts of mess.

These Dry water extinguishers can be used on all sorts, including electrical and should be less messy. (Don't ask me how water can be dry).

A bit more expensive than powder, I think this is about the cheapest going.

But Not Entirely suitable for A motorhome

Chemical

Wet chemical fire extinguishers are designed for use on deep fat fryer and cooking oil fires (Class F) and also offer protection against general Class A fires (such as paper, wood, straw, textiles and coal etc.). These are the only extinguishers that can combat fat fires. The small and compact 2ltr wet chemical extinguishers are perfect for use in small commerical kitchens as well as mobile catering units and domestic kitchens.

Does not cover Petrols/Diesels would have precious little effect on an engine fire:cry:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
But Not Entirely suitable for A motorhome

Chemical

Wet chemical fire extinguishers are designed for use on deep fat fryer and cooking oil fires (Class F) and also offer protection against general Class A fires (such as paper, wood, straw, textiles and coal etc.). These are the only extinguishers that can combat fat fires. The small and compact 2ltr wet chemical extinguishers are perfect for use in small commerical kitchens as well as mobile catering units and domestic kitchens.

Does not cover Petrols/Diesels would have precious little effect on an engine fire:cry:

That's OK I already carry two 2kg dry powder, but the dry water mist looks ideal for a fire in the habitation area, without needing a huge clean up operation.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
In the military we use various size dry powder extinguishers. Our policy is to weigh them each year and then compare the initial weight and the new readings. If the new reading is more than 5% of the original, then we discard. It's all to do with moisture effecting the powder and then the ability of the extinguisher to expel its contents.

We also discard after 5 years regardless of weight.....just thought I'd mention it ::bigsmile:

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
In the military we use various size dry powder extinguishers. Our policy is to weigh them each year and then compare the initial weight and the new readings. If the new reading is more than 5% of the original, then we discard. It's all to do with moisture effecting the powder and then the ability of the extinguisher to expel its contents.

We also discard after 5 years regardless of weight.....just thought I'd mention it ::bigsmile:

Most Military units do not have the facility to test discharge and recharge extinguishers as required,
Military policy is to chuck out anything they cant effectively repair
but a discharge test recharge and proper maintenance programme
works out cheaper and more efficient.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back