Fitting Additional 12vdc Socket (1 Viewer)

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Need to fit a 12 volt socket for a sat receiver in our Autotrail. The ideal location would be the locker recess above the charger unit. Googled a bit for sockets as I do not want to drill and fit a flush mounting jobee.

Have come across this:- Link Removed

It dosent have to be waterproof but its all I could find in the style I'm thinking of fitting, anyone come across or have ideas of others.

Also assume that I can pick up a supply from the Sargent unit 12v distribution so utilising the same fuse as the 12v socket in bedroom. Anyone done this or similar?

It would help if the MH manufacturers fitted extra permanently live sockets for phone chargers and the like for when off ehu.:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Need to fit a 12 volt socket for a sat receiver in our Autotrail. The ideal location would be the locker recess above the charger unit. Googled a bit for sockets as I do not want to drill and fit a flush mounting jobee.

It dosent have to be waterproof but its all I could find in the style I'm thinking of fitting, anyone come across or have ideas of others.

Also assume that I can pick up a supply from the Sargent unit 12v distribution so utilising the same fuse as the 12v socket in bedroom. Anyone done this or similar?

It would help if the MH manufacturers fitted extra permanently live sockets for phone chargers and the like for when off ehu.:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Flush mounting would look an awful lot better. Seeing one of those dangling around your van would definitely look like a "bodge". Why not a flush mount? Not hard to fit.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Unless I'm missing the point I think Link Removed would look better / neater

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Does the extra socket have to be a permanent installation?

We have three 12v Euro sockets in our van (two in the TV cupboard and one in the kitchen area). We have a couple of multi-socket adapters which I plug in when I need to.

That is partially to convert from Euro socket to cigar lighter/USB socket output but also allows charging of a couple of phones or use of both TV and satellite receiver at the same time (ensuring, of course, that the circuit isn't overloaded).

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp

Attachments

• tv socket.jpg
    tv socket.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 16
OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Couple of photo's attached showing locker and recess for sat receiver at top. Initially I'd thought of mounting the socket inside the recess top LH side, after your constructive comments I carried out a few measurements as I didn't think I'd enough clearance for a flush fitting one.

Suprisingly the standard 12v ciggy type plug is 50mm or more proud of the socket when fitted! the bow on the locker door will provide me enough clearance so a flush fitting is the way to go. Probably mounted just above the label LH side on photo 1.

That being so a unit as link will match sockets in MH:- Link Removed

For Peter or anyone else with relevant info I assume the 2 screws either side of the bracket on the Sargent EC500 charger/distribution unit when unscrewed will allow charger to slide forward to allow access for wiring into correct fuse? (IE plenty of "slack cable") :Eeek:

Attachments

• charger01.jpg
    charger01.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 39
  • charger02.jpg
    charger02.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 33
OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Does the extra socket have to be a permanent installation?

We have three 12v Euro sockets in our van (two in the TV cupboard and one in the kitchen area). We have a couple of multi-socket adapters which I plug in when I need to.

That is partially to convert from Euro socket to cigar lighter/USB socket output but also allows charging of a couple of phones or use of both TV and satellite receiver at the same time (ensuring, of course, that the circuit isn't overloaded).

Hi Graham, unfortunately the only "live" 12v socket is in the bedroom which would involve a long and inconvenient extension.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Hi Graham, unfortunately the only "live" 12v socket is in the bedroom which would involve a long and inconvenient extension.

I see - and understand. Why do they do that? I can understand a small van like our previous Autoquest only having a single 12v socket but not in anything the size of yours or our Burstner.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back