Free Member
May 13, 2012
West Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
new
Howdee chums! I have a tv that works off mains and 12v. I need the lead with the cigarette type plug at the end to go in to the adapter in the photo. I have googled and googled but I'm stuck... What's it called please?

Link Removed

Sorry I couldn't seem to attach the pic :Doh: but that is a link to it.
Many thanks
Dawn

Link Removed

Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Howdee chums! I have a tv that works off mains and 12v. I need the lead with the cigarette type plug at the end to go in to the adapter in the photo. I have googled and googled but I'm stuck... What's it called please?

Link Removed

Sorry I couldn't seem to attach the pic :Doh: but that is a link to it.
Many thanks
Dawn

Link Removed

Um, that's a mains adapter that takes a "kettle type" plug. You can't feed 12V into that.

You need a lead that matches the 12V socket on your TV. If that box is a "mains to 12V" adapter then you want a lead that has a cigar lighter plug (or whatever kind of 12V plug you have in your van) and a plug that matches the plug on the end of your mains adapter that plugs into your TV.

Could really do with a better picture of that plug, not the mains socket on your power adapter.

Tim

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
You would be best getting a voltage stabiliser such as Amperor. This would give your 12v, but stabilise the power and avoid spiking, this enables you to run off generators and the like without damaging your TV. About £25 IIRC

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Jazzbow

Jazzbow

Free Member
May 13, 2012
West Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
new
Um, that's a mains adapter that takes a "kettle type" plug. You can't feed 12V into that.

You need a lead that matches the 12V socket on your TV. If that box is a "mains to 12V" adapter then you want a lead that has a cigar lighter plug (or whatever kind of 12V plug you have in your van) and a plug that matches the plug on the end of your mains adapter that plugs into your TV.

Could really do with a better picture of that plug, not the mains socket on your power adapter.

Tim

hahaha, no wonder I couldn't find it... it doesn't exist!

Broken Link Removed
is that what I need?

Thanks for super speedy replies as usual :thumb:

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
:Blush:
hahaha, no wonder I couldn't find it... it doesn't exist!

Broken Link Removed
is that what I need?

Thanks for super speedy replies as usual :thumb:

Hard for me to tell without seeing what your plug looks like but it certainly looks similar to yours. Only you can be sure if it's the same. That said, I doubt there are that many varieties of plug and if it looks the same, I reckon you could safely order it.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
usually either a 2.5 'DC' plug is fitted .. Pretty standard stuff

One of these..

Link Removed

Though I am sure there will be others cheaper, that one has reasonably thick wire so will be able to handle the 3+ amps the average tv draws :Smile:

OP
OP
Jazzbow

Jazzbow

Free Member
May 13, 2012
West Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
new
usually either a 2.5 'DC' plug is fitted .. Pretty standard stuff

One of these..

Link Removed

Though I am sure there will be others cheaper, that one has reasonably thick wire so will be able to handle the 3+ amps the average tv draws :Smile:

Thanks, the telly definitely has a four pin socket, do I need to worry about the thickness of the wire now? >Think I'd be better just taking a book LOL!

Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Thanks, the telly definitely has a four pin socket, do I need to worry about the thickness of the wire now? >Think I'd be better just taking a book LOL!

I think you've found the right lead (which is rated at 5 amps). Just go for it! ;-)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )

Ahhhh... Okkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

So, starting from scratch

You have a power supply unit that plugs in the mains.. The output from that is 12v so you can use it ( in theory ) on the battery in the van..

BUT !!

The socket that the lead from the PSU ( power Supply Unit ) plugs in to is a 4 pin jobby..

Hope thats right ?

If so you really need someone to assist who knows what they are doing.

I personally simply cut that lead, figure out which wires are the 12v feed and their polarity, then put a two pin non-reversible plug and socket on the cut ends, the female going on the 'live' side.

I also make up another lead with another female on one end and a cigar type plug on the other
That way I can use the tv on either mains or battery

Having said all that, if the tv is only going to be used in the van there is absolutely no need to keep the original PSU as it will never be used.
If your on hookup then the batteries are being charged anyway, so you can ALWAYS run on the 12v system :thumb:

Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ahhhh... Okkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

So, starting from scratch

You have a power supply unit that plugs in the mains.. The output from that is 12v so you can use it ( in theory ) on the battery in the van..

BUT !!

The socket that the lead from the PSU ( power Supply Unit ) plugs in to is a 4 pin jobby..

Hope thats right ?

If so you really need someone to assist who knows what they are doing.

I personally simply cut that lead, figure out which wires are the 12v feed and their polarity, then put a two pin non-reversible plug and socket on the cut ends, the female going on the 'live' side.

I also make up another lead with another female on one end and a cigar type plug on the other
That way I can use the tv on either mains or battery

Having said all that, if the tv is only going to be used in the van there is absolutely no need to keep the original PSU as it will never be used.
If your on hookup then the batteries are being charged anyway, so you can ALWAYS run on the 12v system :thumb:

Ooo, that sounds way complicated, and without meaning to insult anyone, probably beyond the OPs capabilities. Even though I'm pretty handy with a multimeter and soldering iron, I think I would still prefer the two separate leads option.

Still, at least the OP now has a range of choices open to her now. ;-)

Tim

OP
OP
Jazzbow

Jazzbow

Free Member
May 13, 2012
West Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
new
Ooo, that sounds way complicated, and without meaning to insult anyone, probably beyond the OPs capabilities. Even though I'm pretty handy with a multimeter and soldering iron, I think I would still prefer the two separate leads option.

Still, at least the OP now has a range of choices open to her now. ;-)

Tim
No offence taken! :ROFLMAO:

I got this : [ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008A6B89I/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1"]4 Pin type 12V 5A car / caravan cigarette lighter power: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics[/ame]

It works fine and says that it stops fluctuations too.
Thanks for all the responses :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back