London Fire Brigade - read and act please (1 Viewer)

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
The London Fire Brigade have been forced to put forward a consultation plan.

As an example they want to take away a total of 18 Fire Engines from London Fire Stations. If you happen to live in Waltham Forest they want to remove 3 of the 8 fire engines. These not only cover Waltham Forest but also cover neighbouring boroughs too.

Whether you live in London or not, there may be a fire should you travel in or around, it could be a business fire, house fire, car, van or motorhome fire so please make your views known

Especially with the terrorism threat I really dont think any loss in London should be tolerated and London Fire Engines do assist with the bordering counties as well.

Here is the link to the draft consultation please ensure you have your say

Thank you

http://www.london-fire.gov.uk/lsp5.asp#.UW2_1kokRLB

Have your say here:

Link Removed

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
Will do Gail. Living in Greater London and having worked in Central London close to Westminster Fire station I will certainly have my say.

We need our fire service.

Sonja

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
Maybee 5 appliance is enough for that area.

Cuts have to made.

Thet must know how many are out at any one time.

We work manly on volunteer firemen to keep the cost down.
They are paid to train and when there is a call out.

I am ready for the backlash and am thick skinned so dont worry.

Mel

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
ourcampersbeentrashed

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years

Cuts have to made.

We work mainly on volunteer firemen to keep the cost down.

Mel

No backlash from me Mel everyone is entitled to their opinions and I have the greatest respect for Volunteers in all the emergency services.

In Waltham Forest there is a great deal of development occurring and large tower blocks being built. It also borders Tottenham.

Even with everything that occurred during the last riots there were buildings that could not be saved and that was without the proposed cuts. I doubt so many people would have been saved with a reduction of 18 engines across London.

Every second counts as fire can spread so rapidly and if 2 fire engines are at one incident which is often the case, there no longer will be a 3rd one to go to a different incident within the same area. 8 minutes is a lot of time for a fire.

What does annoy me a little is that the fire brigade have spent money on building newer fire stations when it could have gone on keeping staff and engines. Sparkly fire stations dont put out fires.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
What does annoy me a little is that the fire brigade have spent money on building newer fire stations when it could have gone on keeping staff and engines. Sparkly fire stations dont put out fires.

Classic tactic, spend a load of money on it, then at the end of the year you can say its costing a fortune to run that station, (not mentioning you have just rebuilt it) we can't afford that and shut it down.

They did the same on some rail lines years ago, relay the track at vast expense, then say the line is unprofitable and close it down. Clever these accountants.

Ian

Spenders

Free Member
Jan 19, 2013
Tadcaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2013

Cuts have to made.

We work manly on volunteer firemen to keep the cost down.

Mel

Having been a member of an emergency service, can I respestfully point out the flaw in your argument Mel.

It's the accountants that know how many appliances are out at any one time. These monetary arguments are fine and appropriate in a normal business. In the emergency services however, resources should be planned for a worst case scenario.

Five appliances probably can cope fine most days.... if YOU are in a serious RTA on the same day as a house fire, an industrial accident, ..... will you feel OK to be told later that the delay in attending YOUR incident was alright because the five appliances were busy at other incidents? You expect them to be there, and they should be.... normally they will be.....

In the current climate the persons making decisions about levels of personnel and equipment are doing so on the basis of cost alone.

Simon

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
This type of behavior from a residing government should NEVER be allowed, its not only criminal to its citizen's of the UK, and not to give proper cover is shameful!!!, if this is allowed to happen in LFB,then you can see the on going closures EVERY WHERE Else in the UK!, I Was a proffesional Fireman for 32years,and i was Sadly on the 2nd machine that turned out to the Birmingham pub and night club Bombings, in the 1970s, so again in these days of ever increasing attacks of terrorism, I Cannot express My feelings for the Human life's they are not taken into consideration,and again its just a cop out that the government can't handle and manage the inhouse problems they have caused, with there greedyness,for example, NHS, ashambles ,the invalid's payments they are cutting, the way they run there hospitals, shamful, and all the other cut backs, WHY DID THEY LET ALL THE BANKS GET AWAY WITH WHAT THAY DONE TO THE COUNTRY,? SO I SAY NO TO ANY CUT BACKS OF ANY EMERGANCY SERVICES, you need them!!!, all so YOU HELP PAY FOR THERE SERVICES, I have very strong views on this ,it was a Government Who put Me on STRIKE back IN 1977, do you remember the hard ship they CAUSED, SO stand up and SAY A BIG NO TO These Appalling ACTS , from a so called caring GOVERNMENT, ALF.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Hi Gail you have my full support

But

Its not like you've ever had any great fires to speak of in London have you:ROFLMAO:
G

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
My head is going above the parapet now, but how many appliances is enough? If there were 12 and cuts to 8 were proposed, people would still protest. These are tough times and cuts have to be made. Increasing acts of terrorism? When in this country? The worst case scenario? This might be if there was a major disaster but that isn't likely to happen in most areas, in fact I'm willing to bet there hasn't been one major disaster in our area in the last century, therefore this should not be budgeted for and a spare appliance shouldn't be on standby. Many people die because help cannot arrive fast enough but that will always happen.

Ivy

Spenders

Free Member
Jan 19, 2013
Tadcaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2013
I'm guessing Ivy that you've been lucky not to have needed the emergency services recently.....

I can speak with some personal knowledge of policiing matters in the Leeds area. In all of West Yorkshire in about 1980 there were just over 5000 police officers. Fast forward 30 years... have calls to the police reduced? Have the number of incidents reduced? Or do you think that they've exploded massively? Also, the way that incidents are dealt with has become much more complicated due to modern evidence and procedural requirements. Now in West Yorks there are approx. 5900 officers. I can tell you, that's just not enough.... and the story is repeated the country over.

When a big incident occurrs resources are drafted in from around the area. Did you see the publicity about the police horse that was punched by the football hooligan in Newcastle over the weekend? That horse was from West Yorkshire, not Northumbria. The riots in London? Officers from across the country were sent there.

Do you know how much your emergency service actually costs? Council Tax Band C in Leeds when I last looked was approx. £60 for the police.... would it really hurt you to pay a few pounds more? How much did the government spend on the elections for Police & Crime Commissioners? Did you vote in that election? If you did you were very much in the minority.

The emergency services should not be thought of specifically for what they do day to day, but what they may have to do if the wheel comes off, becsuse when it does, and it will, THATS when you need them.

OP
OP
ourcampersbeentrashed

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
My head is going above the parapet now, but how many appliances is enough? If there were 12 and cuts to 8 were proposed, people would still protest. These are tough times and cuts have to be made. Increasing acts of terrorism? When in this country? The worst case scenario? This might be if there was a major disaster but that isn't likely to happen in most areas, in fact I'm willing to bet there hasn't been one major disaster in our area in the last century, therefore this should not be budgeted for and a spare appliance shouldn't be on standby. Many people die because help cannot arrive fast enough but that will always happen.

Ivy

Can understand your point completely and we would love to be in the same position as in your area Ivy.

In our local area we have had at least 3 major incidents including 2 large fires to which the minimum fire crew attendance was 4 engines and the largest had over 30 engines over a few days.

Nearby last year in the riots, there were buildings in tottenham that couldnt be saved both business and residential and that was before the proposed removal of 18 engines across London.

Additionally with gang crime and arson attacks still prevalent and burning buildings for insurance still goes on here is local news from Tuesday this week

"A suspected arson attack on a house put a family, including a 16-month-old girl, at risk of “serious injury”, police have said. The fire happened at the property in xxxxxxxxx, Waltham Forest, on Friday just before 4.10am."

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
I do understand your points completely Gail and Spenders but a lot of people are suffering just now, people have lost their jobs, benefits have been cut and I really don't think the poor old taxpayer can take much more. Hard choices have to be made. Yes - I agree lives shouldn't be put at risk but that is what recession means. Not enough medical staff, firemen, police etc. The sooner we can bite the bullet and pay back some of our £billions debt, the sooner we can have the service personel we need. ::bigsmile:

Ivy

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
I agree that we need a fire brigade that is ready at any time

But if fire personel feel the same why did they strike leaving the public vunerable.

If they tell us they made sure there was sufficient cover that proves you can cut back.

If they say there was insufficint cover they put lives at risk.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back