stocking up to come to France (1 Viewer)

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We really shouldn't have stocked up before coming to France, we though everything would be more expensive here, not the case.
Lots of stuff cheaper and more exciting.
I was buying echo falls white zinfandel in the UK 3 for £10, the wine here works out at around £1.50 a bottle and the bread and cheese here is well mmmmmm.
I an amazed by the different array of exciting foods in the supermarket, although meat is fairly expensive.
The fuel is cheaper, we paid 1 euro 30 yesterday for gazole.( haven't got a euro icon on my phone )
So don't bother stocking up to come , stock up when you leave.

We are in the saone area of France in a lovely site overlooking a lovely lake, the weather is great.

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
lol that should have been part of ya check list and as for echo falls on ya way back check Calais wine superstore near the old eastenders warehouse bloosom hill and echo falls also does stowels at least half the price of the uk stock up :Smile:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
lol that should have been part of ya check list and as for echo falls on ya way back check Calais wine superstore near the old eastenders warehouse bloosom hill and echo falls also does stowels at least half the price of the uk stock up :Smile:

I have always found you can get wine cheaper in cite europe in the port than at the wine warehouses

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
We really shouldn't have stocked up before coming to France, we though everything would be more expensive here, not the case.
Lots of stuff cheaper and more exciting.
So don't bother stocking up to come , stock up when you leave.
We are in the saone area of France in a lovely site overlooking a lovely lake, the weather is great.

Assuming we land at Calais,our first stop is usually the Auchan in Boulogne to do a major shop.::bigsmile:
On our way home we make our last stop before Calais the Auchan in Boulogne again to do a major shop.Wine we buy as we travel,sampling various regions ::bigsmile:
NEVER,NEVER would we buy or drink New World wines in France or Spain-we would fear immediate deportation :ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Taking your own food and Wine to France, is like going to a posh Chinese Restaurant, and smothering every thing they serve you in Tomato Sauce:Sad:

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
The wine superstores near the ports are always more expensive than the big French supermarkets.

We often stop at the big Leclerc in Abbeville - massive choice and great prices.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Yes always stock up before you leave France, preferably before you get near the channel ports as the prices tend to go up, especially those largely used by day trippers such as cite europe and those odd warehouses around Calais run by cockney barrow boys..

I would not touch Californian wine with a bargepole, but whatever you want whether European or New World, its always cheaper than in UK.

Only things we find we need to take with us are teabags, which you can buy in France but choice is limited and prices are higher, and bacon which you rarely see in France at all. Also Marmite if you like it.

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
Yes always stock up before you leave France, preferably before you get near the channel ports as the prices tend to go up, especially those largely used by day trippers such as cite europe and [HI]those odd warehouses around Calais run by cockney barrow boys..[/HI]

I would not touch Californian wine with a bargepole, but whatever you want whether European or New World, its always cheaper than in UK.

Only things we find we need to take with us are teabags, which you can buy in France but choice is limited and prices are higher, and bacon which you rarely see in France at all. Also Marmite if you like it.
bloody cheek :Cool:

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
swmbo ;likes rose blossom hill and if its less than half the price than at home then to us thats still a great saving

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Carrefour in Cite Europe at Calais certainly has a good variety of wines, and occasionally some good offers on beer, but it's also worth checking the local supermarkets wherever you're touring - they can be a bit cheaper.

Our garden shed is currently bursting with newly-bought wine and crates of 33 Export. I can't remember the last time I bought beer in quantity in the UK.

Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Buy wine boxes at the supermarche - 10 euros for 5 litres and I'll guarantee it's what you'd get when served a 'pichet de vin rouge' in your cosy local bistro...

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
It looks like the OPs first time trip to France. The wine I buy is from the vitner I look for 'Vin Degustation' and a few days before we leave I take a load of containers,usually folding water containers,well sterilised. I ask for 'Fait le plein' and buy in bulk,as soon as I get home I decant it into sterilised bottles and cork it. Usually works out at 50p a bottle. Buy in the wine producing areas,I have bought some very nice burgundys and cote du Rhones.
Or if thats a bit too much effort buy the 'wine cubes' in the supermarche,the equivalkent of our wine boxes.

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Lac de Chalain
check this out if you have time its around 1.30 hrs further on
and these are great waterfalls
http://www.lapergola.com/en/camping-france/camping-jura/jura-tourism/waterfalls.htm

have fun

The Cirque de Baume neaby to Lac de Chalain is well worth a visit and the caves are really good...

baume%20134.jpg

http://www.baumelesmessieurs.fr/?page_id=6

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
[HI]The wine superstores near the ports are always more expensive than the big French supermarkets.
[/HI]
We often stop at the big Leclerc in Abbeville - massive choice and great prices.

The big Warehouse type booze barns near to ANY port is generally more expensive than any Supermarche, just a tourist trap, if you are in the know you give them a miss and stock up at a Supermarche for everything from Cheese to Grog.

The rip off magnet is the sign "English spoken" "Last chance till ferry" or the like

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back