Free Member
Jan 9, 2013
North East
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2010
Used our new to us 2008 Autotrail this weekend for the first time. As it was a lovely couple of days we opened the rooflights. Now we find that there appears to be no locking mechanism to secure the window rooflight when it is closed. There is a winder arm that takes it up and down, but no security catch. When in the closed position it can be lifted up by hand simply by pushing the window upwards. It is the same in the loo and the main living area. Is this usual? Am I missing something? Is there a special technique which I don't know to secure the windo hatch in place?..........any help much appreciated please.

Lesley.............feeling very insecure.:helpsos:

duane0001

Free Member
Jan 18, 2013
East Coast, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
Expedition 67 soon!
Exp
2021 This time
Picture

I know I have had older caravans which did not lock and where spring loaded meaning you could just push them open, I now have a 2008 trigano (same stable as auto trail) with two roof lights and both of them lock and can not be opened from the outside

Why don't you post us a picture

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
We have an Auto-Trail Comanche and when you wind the roof lights down with the winding handle (naturally ::bigsmile:) you have to keep winding until you can feel the winder come to a stop. The handle then folds up into the recess out of the way.
It is the tension of being fully wound that holds the roof light in place. :thumb:

If you stop winding when the roof light has touched down it is not secured.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
As per Knocky above ... you have to keep on winding until it is tight then pop the handle in the slot and it should stay put. ::bigsmile:

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
one stick of dynamite on each sky light should do the job :Smile:

well it is a euro box

>>>>runs for cover >>>>only joking honest :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Oi, watch it or I'll get the Teesside Mafia to come round and let yer tyres down :winky: :hardhat:

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Autotrail use Remis skylights and when fully closed there should be two locking catches that engage to hold it firmly shut, you have to continue to wind the handle till it won't go any further to engage these catches.

D.

OP
OP
A

Another Lesley

Free Member
Jan 9, 2013
North East
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2010
So, been out and turned handle.........and turned and turned and turned..........and turned. It does not come to a halt, just whizzes round and round and round. It then starts clicking but does not stop turning.......ooops now I feel dizzy.:Eeek: The rooflight......is still not locked :cry: Sealed it down with gaffer tape (love that stuff) and tomorrow going to take it back to the dealers and let them fix it (point out the error of my ways) Thank you everyone who replied.

billy

Free Member
Jan 10, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
since 2009
So, been out and turned handle.........and turned and turned and turned..........and turned. It does not come to a halt, just whizzes round and round and round. It then starts clicking but does not stop turning.......ooops now I feel dizzy.:Eeek: The rooflight......is still not locked :cry: Sealed it down with gaffer tape (love that stuff) and tomorrow going to take it back to the dealers and let them fix it (point out the error of my ways) Thank you everyone who replied.

If you lift up he rooflight and look on top above the winding handle you will see a black box this is the gearbox.
Sometimes the cogs inside get worn or as in my case the teeth on the cable have worn so the worm drive does not pull the cable through the gear box.
Now the cheapest cable I have found is around £90.00.
When we get some nice weather I am going to take these cables off and see if they can be adapted and turned around.
what happens when the gearbox fails or the cables are worn it throws the two locking clips on either side out of sync as in my case only one side would lock after a little meddling I managed to get both of them to lock.
Apparently it is a known fault with these rooflight locking mechanism.

billy

billy

Free Member
Jan 10, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
since 2009
[Broken Link Removed

This is the one from Leisure shop direct it includes the gearbox and the end fixings.

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp

Ah ! I think the technical term for that is that "it is knackered" :winky:
I'm sure Dave Newell will confirm my diagnosis ::bigsmile:

Nov 13, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2000
I have had the main roof light replaced 4 times in 5 years on my Apache because of failures of the cable and gearbox. I have looked at the new model Autotrail with the large curved roof light.Will this be better, I do not think so.

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Come on another lesley, tell us what's happened with your rooflight repairs.

It's not a secret, is it ? :secret::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
A

Another Lesley

Free Member
Jan 9, 2013
North East
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2010
Sorry for the delay....::bigsmile:.but time away in the motorhome means lack of Internet time. The roof light is, to use a technical term buggered and is being replaced by the dealership under warranty.......so, despite the lovely weather, the gaffer tape remains in situ and all will be put right as soon as we get home.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Ah ! I think the technical term for that is that "it is knackered" :winky:
I'm sure Dave Newell will confirm my diagnosis ::bigsmile:

Spot on diagnosis:thumb:. I don't know what it is about Remis rooflights, we have one on the rearr of our home conversion and so far it has been fine but I have had to repair/replace several (I have a box full of broken ones, its a big box:Doh:) .

D.

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Thanks Another Lesley, but I still can't sleep at night until you tell us exactly why it is "buggered". For the less technically minded, you understand :Blush: ::bigsmile:

Aug 19, 2022
Funster No
MH
Rapido 883F
Autotrail use Remis skylights and when fully closed there should be two locking catches that engage to hold it firmly shut, you have to continue to wind the handle till it won't go any further to engage these catches.

Hi I have just fitted new mechanism and works smoothly only trouble the hook is only securing one side,the white plastic parts one each side lift the hooks up to engage with catch but these are not in the same position on the track if I could get the other one in the correct position all would be fine any idea how to adjust the position of the white plastic part on the wire cable Thanks Adrian

Aug 19, 2022
Funster No
MH
Rapido 883F
Hi
New to the group,sorry I think I have entered my problem in the wrong section

Just fitted a complete new winding mechanism to the faulty remis skylight all work done from the top after unscrewing the clear plastic skylight and leaning it back out the way

Works a treat lovely and smooth after initial lubrication but still have a problem thought I would check the operation out before screwing the clear plastic skylight to the levers

there is 2 white plastic blocks one each side on the wire track which move down the wire when wound up or down when wound to close they slide into a sprung loaded retainer and operate the locking catches one each
one catch works and locks but the other doesn’t as the white plastic block is further back down the cable and cannot reach the sprung retainer to operate the locking catch
anyone no how to move this white plastic block further down the cable to the same position of the other side
Cable is fully secured in the correct position

Thanks
Adrian

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back