Interesting video...Leisure batteries or not? (1 Viewer)

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
So now here is a question...

If you do NOT use a hook up often but you do have a fair number of solar panels, would I be right in thinking that is the equivalent of being mostly plugged in and therefore a less expensive battery bank is fine.

I have always used cheap and cheerful "leisure" batteries and they seem to last about a couple of years minimum.

I plan to buy some new batteries when we can are over in Blighty this August and was thinking about going "up market". I would hate to fork out more than usual money but actually just buy a cheap battery with a posh label stuck on it...

My head is hurting just thinking about it...

JJ :Cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
Great video, thank you to the OP for posting. They didn't name any names though!!! :Angry:

Is that for next time or are they just not going to tell us in fear of upsetting someone?

It was interesting to see demonstrated what a lot of us thought. Most leisure batteries are just plain old starter batteries by companies who think they can get a premium when the word motorhome/caravan is used.

NAME NAMES!!! :)

jb0371old

Free Member
Jul 8, 2011
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
1 year
Traction batteries

Just confirms what a lot of people (fork truck battery engineers) on this site have been saying for years. But I am sure within the next week somebody will be saying what a great deal they got at there local dealer and how light it is blah blah blah.

I was recommended these, very good and bloody heavy.

http://www.justcarbatteries.co.uk/index.php/dyno-30xhs-industrial-battery.html

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Just thinking about my Batteries. They weigh 73Kg each. 250Ah VRLA. I Bought them in 2007 and they are still going strong..
A combination of very high quality and taking good care of them.
I expect them to last me at least another 4 years.

They do cost over ÂŁ400 but well worth the money.

Oh yes I am fulltiming so they get a fair bit of use as well. I will be buying these again when it comes time for replacement. 2 of these at ÂŁ800 works out at ÂŁ80 per year over 10 years. If you only need one that is ÂŁ40 per year. I think normal leisure batteries get around 2 - 3 years and cost ÂŁ100-ÂŁ120 but are only 100Ah?

So although they cost more up front, they last longer, have a much greater capacity so actually work out cheaper ÂŁ per AH per year.

As mentioned in the second video, I tend to judge a battery by it's weight.:thumb:

Link Removed

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
As the guy says at the start of the second video it depends how you are using your van. Seems silly to me to spend a fortune on a super special battery for a few weekends away and a two week holiday...

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
As the guy says at the start of the second video it depends how you are using your van. Seems silly to me to spend a fortune on a super special battery for a few weekends away and a two week holiday...

Agreed, I presumed that was understood :thumb: However for someone like you the good batteries may be better value long term...

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
all well and good, but i don't think your local caravan accessory shop would take kindly to you cutting the top off one of their batteries to check the construction. :Doh:

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I've never regretted forking out for an Elecsol 110Ah Carbon Fibre leisure battery. It's just over 5 years old now, has completely discharged at least twice, and still holds a healthy 13.5 volts with the engine and solar panel off. It trickle charges the cab battery using the solar panel when in storage too.

We had a period of over a year where it wasn't being topped up by the engine due to a circuit board fault, and the solar panel kept it running perfectly.

We're not huge electricity users, having changed all the bulbs to LED, and only using lights, pump, TV and the occasional bit of gadget recharging, but we haven't used EHUs for ages and I've been impressed with its reliability so far. To replace it would cost about ÂŁ120 inc VAT.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
I specced our 12v system for off-grid skiing trips.

During summer use, we have such an abundance of capacity that we use an electric kettle via the inverter for cuppas. Oh, and hair straighteners, an iron and the hairdryer!:Eeek:

The Dyno traction batteries we have are well worth the investment. OK, they are twice the price of an el-cheapo leisure battery, but they are over 4 years old now and still giving full capacity.:thumb:

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
as we like aires, ralies and wild camping weve just bought trojan traction batteries we were considering the dynos but the two six volt trojans fitted in better physically hoping to get away this weekend see how the perform

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
Having watched that and the same reviewers 'test' of the Marquis motorhome, I shall be quite happy to never ever again watch a Motorhome Channel programme......... dire does not even begin to adquately describe the awfulness of the production...

:shout:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Having watched that and the same reviewers 'test' of the Marquis motorhome, I shall be quite happy to never ever again watch a Motorhome Channel programme......... dire does not even begin to adquately describe the awfulness of the production...

Agreed, The first video was dire. The presenter irritated me no end and his air quotes threw me off the deep end :Angry::Angry::Angry:

Second video was much better as it showed a good brand... and the presenter didn't grate.

OP
OP
Rocles

Rocles

Free Member
Oct 10, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp

Each to their own, as they say....several people have found the link interesting, and as a result have found another video that seems to explain more.

You have a very appropriate Avatar it seems.....:roflmto:

Mar 12, 2012
Bridgend, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just started!
I've never regretted forking out for an Elecsol 110Ah Carbon Fibre leisure battery. It's just over 5 years old now, has completely discharged at least twice, and still holds a healthy 13.5 volts with the engine and solar panel off. It trickle charges the cab battery using the solar panel when in storage too.

Hasn't had very good reviews on Amazon [ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B004NLVFOM"]Amazon.co.uk: Customer Reviews: ELECSOL 110 Carbon Fibre Battery[/ame]

I guess using buzz words like 'carbon fibre' attracts people to buy.

I found the videos quite interesting and enlightening. How long has that battery been sitting on the shelf? What does it weigh relative to a starter battery? Good points to consider when making a purchase and probably ones I'd not normally consider.

Big question still remains - which brand/model is to be trusted? I hate being ripped off.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Big question still remains - which brand/model is to be trusted? I hate being ripped off.

There is no brand/model - many batteries are labelled as many different brands.(ie Bosch & Varta are the same thing) Tractions have been promoted on here before many times by users. With leisure batteries, you need to buy quality and the one that suits YOUR needs.

A gel may suit person 1, but not person 2 where a lead acid would be better - all depends on how you use them.

Also shelf life is a good indicator - I often get a moan when I am asked if a leisure is in stock - always tell them 'No, I can get one delivered for tomorrow' - I don't keep stock for the exact reason. By getting them direct from factory, I know that they are as fresh as they can be. I don't want to pass on old batteries to my customers - if that means they wait 12 hours, then so be it!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back