Free Member
Apr 8, 2012
Abrantes, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
February 2013.
Bit confuse. I have two leisure batteries and a large solar panel fitted on the roof. Everything seems to work ok but the television. Do you need to be on a hook up to use it? It works fine when connected to the mains supply

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
How is the TV connected to power? I presume it is capable of running off 12V and that you have switched the input to a12V socket?

OP
OP
RogeTeri

RogeTeri

Free Member
Apr 8, 2012
Abrantes, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
February 2013.
Oh God! Now I'm lost. Sorry for being so thick. Will be at peterborough on Thursday so I think I may need to get help there, thanks JeanLuc

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Or is it a 240v TV like you'd use at home? In which case, it will only work on hook-up - unless you have an inverter.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
It works fine when connected to the mains supply

If, off hook-up, the lighting works and the TV does not it looks like you've got a 240V TV.

Then you either get an INVERTER ( 12V DC from battery --> 240AC ) or fix the TV with a 12V adaptor ( might not be possible ) or buy a 12V DC TV.

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Keeping it simple - does it have a 'household-style' 3-pin plug on the end of the lead?

OP
OP
RogeTeri

RogeTeri

Free Member
Apr 8, 2012
Abrantes, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
February 2013.
Or is it a 240v TV like you'd use at home? In which case, it will only work on hook-up - unless you have an inverter.

The TV came with the van, why is life so complicated???

I have learned I know nothing!

Have heard of inverters but would not recognise one if I fell over it, must take my card to Peterborough I think it will have melt down

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
The TV came with the van, why is life so complicated???

I have learned I know nothing!

Have heard of inverters but would not recognise one if I fell over it, must take my card to Peterborough I think it will have melt down

At least you know that
If you do fall over your invertor it is not installed correctly
G

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Look me up at Peterborough :thumb:
We will be there late Thursday.

Will have a motorhome fun placard with Jaws on it in the side window

I will wander over and take a gander for you, no problem

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Just look for the smart looking gent in a bowler hat:thumb:

That's correct isn't it John?

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
had the exact same problem when I got our MH in July and phoned the dealer to say was coming back in for them to sort as TV didn't work, felt a right prat when he said the same thing if on hook up then use the normal plug if off hook up use the 12 volt connection.

we all live and learn (well some of us never learn) and as for the Boss she can't get her head round the fact that the microwave will not work unless we are on hook up, so I tried to explain that everything with the EXCEPTION of the 3 pins plugs will work with no hook up so sorry dear NO hairdrier etc if NO electric

Spenders

Free Member
Jan 19, 2013
Tadcaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2013
RogeTeri said:
"Oh God! Now I'm lost. Sorry for being so thick. Will be at peterborough on Thursday so I think I may need to get help there, thanks JeanLuc "

If you're lost and will need help to get to Peterborough, you'll need more that a dubious telly mate! I suggest:
a) a sat-nav
b) a teenager (they know everything...I know, I've got one!)
:thumb:

Simon

Feb 26, 2013
Pinar de Campoverde, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
Well this post has made us feel a whole lot better as we have just had the same trouble getting our heads round the whole inverter/12v issue. What I thought was the inverter turned out to be an amp for the bass speaker :Doh: We got a friend round who had more experience and told him the TV didn't work on 12v so he pointed out that we needed to plug in to the 12v for it to work. :Doh: I naively assumed that when we were off mains that everything just worked as normal but through the inverter instead!! Might have to invite Jaws in for a glass or 2 this weekend so we can pump him for info!! By the way if you spot a motorhome with no lights on Saturday night it may well be us with a drained leisure battery because we don't know what we're doing :ROFLMAO:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
There will be loads of funsters at Peterborough who will be falling over each other to sort your problems if you ask.

Warning -DO NOT OFFER DRINKS - you'll never get them out.

Feb 26, 2013
Pinar de Campoverde, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
Well then it's a good thing we stopped at the wine merchants in Calais on our way home last week from our first MH trip, best load them bottles up tomorrow :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
RogeTeri

RogeTeri

Free Member
Apr 8, 2012
Abrantes, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
February 2013.
Well this post has made us feel a whole lot better as we have just had the same trouble getting our heads round the whole inverter/12v issue. What I thought was the inverter turned out to be an amp for the bass speaker :Doh: We got a friend round who had more experience and told him the TV didn't work on 12v so he pointed out that we needed to plug in to the 12v for it to work. :Doh: I naively assumed that when we were off mains that everything just worked as normal but through the inverter instead!! Might have to invite Jaws in for a glass or 2 this weekend so we can pump him for info!! By the way if you spot a motorhome with no lights on Saturday night it may well be us with a drained leisure battery because we don't know what we're doing :ROFLMAO:

I can't tell you how much better I felt reading your post. Was a little hesitant to post in the first place as it is an admission of ignorance. I think one of the advantages of motor homing is you not only buy into a way of life you also buy into a community. This is evident from the waves you get on the road to the people on this site who are willing to give their time to reply and offer to give advice and help. The only down side is the likely decent into alcoholism:Eeek:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I can't tell you how much better I felt reading your post. Was a little hesitant to post in the first place as it is an admission of ignorance. I think one of the advantages of motor homing is you not only buy into a way of life you also buy into a community. This is evident from the waves you get on the road to the people on this site who are willing to give their time to reply and offer to give advice and help. The only down side is the likely decent into alcoholism:Eeek:

That's the last thing to worry about. Whatever else we all have in common (or not) we were all beginners once and had the same questions to ask :Smile:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Roger try looking at the plug that goes into the back of the tv and see if you have anything of a games consol etc that's the same size - that way you can make a lead up for the 12v supply-mines wired stright from the 12v ariel socket into the tv so it's on 12v all the time.
You should have somthing like the 240v 3 pin plug that goes into a black box then from there to your tv ::bigsmile::thumb:its the plug from black box to tv you need then simply wire up to 12v but don't get the wires mixed up or you will blow tv :Eeek:so you need to find out which wire goes to which ie poss and neg --Some will tell you to spend 30 quid for a stableiser etc, but I along with lots of others have never needed one so you pays your money and makes your choice
terry
PS thanks for your kind comments on my self build :thumb:

Last edited:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
SIMPLE GUIDE TO 12 VOLT LCD TV FOR MOTORHOMES
LOTS OF TVS WORK OFF 12V---ASDA, TESCO, COMET, CURRYS ETC.
MAKE SURE IT SAYS 12V ON THE BACK
MAKE SURE IT HAS A PLUG TYPE AS IN PICTURE not four pin etc,

THESE PLUGS ARE READYLY AVILABABLE OFF GAMES CONSOLES ETC,
YOU CAN USE YOUR 240 LEAD ON HOOKUP OR MAKE UP A LEAD FOR 12V VIA CIG LIGHTER OR CROC CLIPS (PORTECT WITH IN LINE FUSE)
OR WIRE TO YOUR ARIEL PLUG

IDENTIFY POSS AND NEG THEN MAKE UP YOUR LEAD
IF YOU WANT TO YOU CAN PROTECT WITH A VOLTAGE STABILIZER
OR AS IN MY CASE JUST WIRED DIRECT TO ARIEL PLUG.
IF USING VOLTAGE STABILISER YOU MAY FIND THAT IF VOLTAGE DROPS TO 12.4V IT WILL NOT WORK, BUT IF NONE USED YOUR TV MAY WORK AS LOW AS 12 V (LONGER)
AS VOLTAGE DROPS THE PICTURE WILL GO OFF BUT STILL HAVE SOUND, SO PLENTY OF WARNING TO CHARGE YOUR BATTERY BEFORE ANY DAMAGE OCURS.
To sums it up simply--------
There are always conflicting opinions on whether it is safe to use a 12v TV directly from the van 12v supply. I see the argument this way:

Using an inverter from the van battery to provide 240v then powering the TV via the mains adapter is inefficient and uses considerably more power. I tested my current TV last week and there was a 25%+ difference in consumption. It is therefore better to use the 12v direct if possible.

The first point to make is how much did you pay for your TV? If it's a £350 super-duper model then perhaps it may be worth splashing out on a voltage regulator or going for the inverter option. If you paid £50 for your TV then why not just wire it straight into the 12v and risk it? In most cases the TV will be absolutely fine.

The second point is why not be versatile? The risk of the van battery voltage exceeding the safe input voltage of the TV only applies when the battery is being charged, ie: when the engine is running or when on hook-up with the charger powered up. So why not adopt the following strategy?

a) Don't use the TV when the van engine is running unless you use it via an inverter and mains adapter.
b) If you're on hook-up either use the TV via its mains adapter, straight from a 240v socket or turn off the battery charger when the TV is in use.

Seems perfectly simple and logical to me - and saves both cash and battery capacity.
May I add I have been using several lcd TV without a stabiliser-wired to the Ariel socket both on EHU and charger on without problem for the last 7/8 years-the battery will work as a pretty good stabiliser. Also ran the van while the TV was on but as I am driving I don’t watch the TV with engine running.

Last edited:

SPUD'N'T

Free Member
Aug 25, 2008
YORK ENGLAND
Funster No
MH
COACHBUILT (LOW PROFILE)
Exp
since 2008
That's the last thing to worry about. Whatever else we all have in common (or not) we were all beginners once and had the same questions to ask :Smile:

I've been a beginner for nearly 5 yrs now !

if you can fit it in, try the rally at the lazy buzzard, Roger (wildman) is very helpful re 12v + motorhome electrics in general and you'll also meet loads of funsters. (but beware the homebrew)

Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
SIMPLE GUIDE TO 12 VOLT LCD TV FOR MOTORHOMES
LOTS OF TVS WORK OFF 12V---ASDA, TESCO, COMET, CURRYS ETC.
MAKE SURE IT SAYS 12V ON THE BACK
MAKE SURE IT HAS A PLUG TYPE AS IN PICTURE not four pin etc,

THESE PLUGS ARE READYLY AVILABABLE OFF GAMES CONSOLES ETC,
YOU CAN USE YOUR 240 LEAD ON HOOKUP OR MAKE UP A LEAD FOR 12V VIA CIG LIGHTER OR CROC CLIPS (PORTECT WITH IN LINE FUSE)
OR WIRE TO YOUR ARIEL PLUG

IDENTIFY POSS AND NEG THEN MAKE UP YOUR LEAD
IF YOU WANT TO YOU CAN PROTECT WITH A VOLTAGE STABILIZER
OR AS IN MY CASE JUST WIRED DIRECT TO ARIEL PLUG.
IF USING VOLTAGE STABILISER YOU MAY FIND THAT IF VOLTAGE DROPS TO 12.4V IT WILL NOT WORK, BUT IF NONE USED YOUR TV MAY WORK AS LOW AS 12 V (LONGER)
AS VOLTAGE DROPS THE PICTURE WILL GO OFF BUT STILL HAVE SOUND, SO PLENTY OF WARNING TO CHARGE YOUR BATTERY BEFORE ANY DAMAGE OCURS.
To sums it up simply--------
There are always conflicting opinions on whether it is safe to use a 12v TV directly from the van 12v supply. I see the argument this way:

Using an inverter from the van battery to provide 240v then powering the TV via the mains adapter is inefficient and uses considerably more power. I tested my current TV last week and there was a 25%+ difference in consumption. It is therefore better to use the 12v direct if possible.

The first point to make is how much did you pay for your TV? If it's a £350 super-duper model then perhaps it may be worth splashing out on a voltage regulator or going for the inverter option. If you paid £50 for your TV then why not just wire it straight into the 12v and risk it? In most cases the TV will be absolutely fine.

The second point is why not be versatile? The risk of the van battery voltage exceeding the safe input voltage of the TV only applies when the battery is being charged, ie: when the engine is running or when on hook-up with the charger powered up. So why not adopt the following strategy?

a) Don't use the TV when the van engine is running unless you use it via an inverter and mains adapter.
b) If you're on hook-up either use the TV via its mains adapter, straight from a 240v socket or turn off the battery charger when the TV is in use.

Seems perfectly simple and logical to me - and saves both cash and battery capacity.
May I add I have been using several lcd TV without a stabiliser-wired to the Ariel socket both on EHU and charger on without problem for the last 7/8 years-the battery will work as a pretty good stabiliser. Also ran the van while the TV was on but as I am driving I don’t watch the TV with engine running.

It's worth mentioning, that unless you have the more expensive full sine wave type inverter, it's probably much safer for your TV to run it off the battery than off the inverter. Internal circuits on many electronic devices don't like the "choppy" output from cheaper inverters. A cheaper inverter may be fine or hairdryers, straighteners and other simple loads but they can damage more delicate electronics. I wouldn't run an expensive TV off anything less than a full sine wave rectifier if mains was the only option.

As pointed out, it's much more electrically efficient to run from 12v rather than going from 12V to mains when it's not needed.

Touchwood

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
I'm somewhat confused by the fact that a couple of posters have mentioned wiring "direct to your aerial plug" Surely the aerial plug is for the aerial (doh) and nothing whatsoever to do with the power supply, whether it be 12v or 240v? Or am I getting confused (again)?

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Your aerial plug is for the aerial as you say. Some posters may be inadvertently clouding the issue because some van aerial sockets also have a 12v connection, but then again lots don't.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I'm somewhat confused by the fact that a couple of posters have mentioned wiring "direct to your aerial plug" Surely the aerial plug is for the aerial (doh) and nothing whatsoever to do with the power supply, whether it be 12v or 240v? Or am I getting confused (again)?

Sorry about the confusion but all of mine have had 12v sockets with the Ariel: Smile: TO MAKE IT CLEAR you need to couple your TV to a 12v power supply that is with the Ariel socket or not :thumb:
terry

Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.