Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I wish the uk would look at this some good ideas

Local authorities do not see this type of document without somebody bringing them to their attention.

Change will happen only if individuals approach local authorities in a positive manner and are able to show that such measures would be of general advantage to the residents/local area and not just be convenient for motorhomers.

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
Interesting that the have worked out that the average nights spent in a MH per year is 200 nights and 20,000 km :Eeek:

We need to get out more::bigsmile:

Spottycatz

Free Member
Feb 17, 2013
Racodorm
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low Profile
Exp
Still making mistakes! But they're not as costly.
From what I can see, that document was issued in 2008, five years ago now. Have there been any massive changes in that time. I don't know, I'm very new to all this.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
A few things have changed I reckon........ and all for the better :thumb:

For us the figures given are just a tad out.. We worked it out a while back and came up with ABOUT 180 days a year and ABOUT 14000 km

OP
OP
John & Joan

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
I think it would form a good basis for a UK document with updated info. There are now 200,000+ Motor Caravans registered with DVLA

173,348 registered in total on the 31st December 2010
176,938 30th September 2011 including SORN
202,216 30th September 2012 plus 25,127 SORN
DVLA have been registering on average 9,000 new Motor Caravans per year during the period.
(Information supplied by Vicarious books.)

The fact that only 25,000 out of 200,000 are SORNED means that there are potentially 175,000 Motor Caravans available for use during the off season unlike most caravans. Caravan sites tend to close in the off season so where do these vans go?

The 1960 Act, defining what is a caravan, is also outdated as the document says, Motor Caravans didn't really take off until after that date. They are a different beast to a touring caravan or static .

There is also no reference to RVs in that document. ie vehicles over 7500kg to 12000kg requiring class C licence to drive them.

During our winter in Spain we found many new facilities for Motor Caravan. We had no problem finding facilities away from Ghetto campsites and crowed beach wild parking places. There were new bournes provided at garages as well as dedicated parking places for large vehicles in car parks.

There are quite a number of private and public facilities being provided despite/because of the economic situation there. We found the police didn't bother us at all wherever we PARKED. We played the game and they saw that. We often were the only van parked.

It was interesting to note that Motorhomes, as a place of residence, was recognised in the Spanish document.

We do need a strong voice to speak up for Motor Caravanning community'. The existing clubs only pay lip service to our needs and requirements. They continue to support the status quo (not the pop group).

We use our van 365 day a year.

John

Last edited:

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Local authorities do not see this type of document without somebody bringing them to their attention.

Change will happen only if individuals approach local authorities in a positive manner and are able to show that such measures would be of general advantage to the residents/local area and not just be convenient for motorhomers.

In response to that I have sent the following to the tourist board at our local council:

Hello,
I am a resident of Sedgley and three years ago bought a motorhome after retiring. My wife and I love touring in it and have visited places we otherwise would never have seen. What surprises me is the difference in attitude which prevails in this country compared with countries in Europe. So much so that we find that when we cross over the channel we find motorhomes are welcomed and provided for as opposed to here where we feel discriminated against when we encounter height barriers, 'no overnighting' regulations, and a complete lack of facilities. I suspect that maybe this country is unaware of the needs of motorhomers and the benefits that such tourists bring.

I think that one of the best explanations of this can be found in the attached document.

Our own area has much to offer tourists and I would be interested to know how our own council views us and how we might better provide for this growing area of tourism.

I attached the 'Spain' document which I think is a very well documented explanation of motorhoming (and one that I believe would be useful to those new to motorhoming or considering the idea) and would like to see widely circulated.

I am interested to see what kind of response I get.

Wyn

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back