Campbells Motorhomes - shocked! (1 Viewer)

Dereckerick

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Merseyside
Funster No
Exp
After a nice weekend away with the kids I decided to pop into Campbell's near Preston to have a quick look at some MH's.

Every van I went into was a disgrace.

The tag axle Cheyenne was like the floor of a tractor, filthy and the door handles were broken so you couldn't look in the bathroom. For a 2007 van it was abused and Campbell's didn't seem in a rush to sell it from what I saw.

The next van smelt like a smoking room, gave me a headache it was so bad. The next few vans also didn't look like they were prepared to make people part with cash.

The numerous sales guys were just standing around, watched me pull up in a MH and look in a few MH's not one asked me a single question. They all looked a little bored to be honest.

It went on from there, I'm not one for slating business' but in this financial climate how can a business be ran so badly. We are planning on a van change in the next 18 months and this place will not be visited again!

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Come down South and see how it should be done (although in wet weather it is hard keeping floors pristine)

I have a nice tag axle Cheyenne with a French bed

Peter

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Can't understand how dealers work, all the ones I have been to have never got any ready to go , always "awaiting valeting" unless they are brand new and about 50 grand, the money they have standing out you would think the vans would all be ready to go as soon as a wallet full of cash was flashed. Can't beat private in my experience .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
All my vans on display are fully valetted but not ready to go as they will need servicing both mechanical and habitaion to make sure everything works as it should.

No point in servicing a van that could sit for two or three months before going out, thats a recipe for disaster.

Peter

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
So, Peter , why don't they all, is the markup so big they only need to sell the odd one a month

RogeTeri

Free Member
Apr 8, 2012
Abrantes, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
February 2013.
I totally agree that to display vans in a poor state is madness. If nothing else it leaves the impression that if you part with your hard earned money what sort of after sales would you get. If you were selling your house you would want to make it presentable to prospective buyers. I would just drive off if I saw such low standards. Agree with Peter that the mechanical and habitation checks should be done prior to collection and that will give the buyer greater confidence. I felt so sorry for the dealers at Peterborough last year. The conditions were awful and it was a shame to see beautiful vans getting filthy as a result, must have been a nightmare!

Last edited:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
So, Peter , why don't they all, is the markup so big they only need to sell the odd one a month

I don't know, with us it is pride in the job and my lot never know when I will come down to the dealership and inspect the vans and site, a new pair of eyes always spots what others are used to seeing and thats not because they don't care.

Peter

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
Well...........

When we were catching the Portsmouth to Santander ferry, we decided to kill some time looking at Motorhomes, to see what was available.

We went to Southdowns and I have never been so disappointed.:cry:

There was virtually no parking for visitors.

All vans were locked up, so if you wanted to view one you had to find a member of staff and ask for that particular vehicle to be opened:Doh:

Needless to say I viewed one and just couldn't be ar**d

I would never buy from a dealer that treated customers like that.

I was appalled to say the least.

I think a private sale is the best deal and seller goes out of their way to impress you.::bigsmile:

I would buy from a dealer if they treated prospective customers better, but only if they do.:Smile:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland

All vans were locked up, so if you wanted to view one you had to find a member of staff and ask for that particular vehicle to be opened:Doh:

Needless to say I viewed one and just couldn't be ar**d

I know what you mean but if they aren't locked up they lose parts.. cooker knobs, handles, parts from taps, bathrooms etc will all get nicked.. so while it's bad for business I have very sympathy with the dealers.. :Sad:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
All my vans on main forecourt are unlocked and available to view during opening hours, only the vans on bottom forecourt are locked as the sales staff cannot see them easily.

Peter

D

DM14742

Deleted User
I don't know, with us it is pride in the job and my lot never know when I will come down to the dealership and inspect the vans and site, a new pair of eyes always spots what others are used to seeing and thats not because they don't care.

Peter
Some friends of ours have recently bought a City Van from you & I have to say it is in pristine condition both inside & out, I can certainly vouch for your standards - top notch :thumb:

Oct 5, 2009
anglesey
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
since 1999
When we traded in our Autotrail at Brownhills recently[sorry Peter but we wanted a Rapido] they imediatley removed the drop down tv monitor, said they had loads stolen.:Eeek:

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
I this Campbells who have taken over Brownhills old site in Kirkham if so perhaps thaey have got some of the staff as well.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

What's wrong with that ?

Leave them open and you risk vandalism and theft. They would be a good source of spares to the light fingered.

Fermenter

Free Member
Sep 6, 2012
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2012
After looking around at many vans we bought ours from Ryedales in Leicestershire. They were very good and helpful. The vans were clean and the salesmen were pleasant without being pushy. So I guess it depends on where you go. Note we are from Preston!

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
What's wrong with that ?

Leave them open and you risk vandalism and theft. They would be a good source of spares to the light fingered.

I think the thing that is missing here is good old fashioned customer service, the vans may need to be locked, but that doesn't mean that they should not be clean, well presented, and the salesman be well informed helpful but not pushy, why is that so difficult when customers are looking to spend a fair amount of money.

albeano

Free Member
May 13, 2012
bolton
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
4 years
I this Campbells who have taken over Brownhills old site in Kirkham if so perhaps thaey have got some of the staff as well.

Hmm Ive got mixed feelings about Campbells now when i bought my van
3 years ago from the old site, i was really imppressed i felt i had negotiated a good price, the 2 or three sales staff all knowledgeable, and attentive, the van presented in pristine condition with a thorough handover and induction, all in all a good all round experience.

Then l2 months ago took it back for habitation service and replacement truma boiler element together with a couple of other bits and bobs to their new place on the Blackpool road. (none of this under warranty)

I can but wont go into all the details but needless to say the quality such as unfinished work ie loose external flue heater not fixed fully, mastic "slapped "around ehu fitting which apparently needed replacing :whatthe: the new fitting was non manufacturer equipment or colour matching. Electric indicated reverse polarity. Dirty fingerprints electric cable cuttings etc. Took van back and left it for another day to seal flue and sort electrics as i had cleaned and finished other items.
Picked van up checked this time and was told they couldnt find a problem with the electric polarity "it must be something with the supply at home or with my hook up cable". Got home and guess what polarity ok!

I realise my experiences with campbells service are not major but sufficient for me not to trust them again,the person i dealt with on the servicing issue is different to the original team and maybe its a personell thing or maybe standards have dropped.

In conclusion i would not rule out buying from Campbells in the future but i no longer have the feel good factor about them.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
To all those in this thread that have dealings with this company, please do leave a review on the Funsters Favourite Dealers Pages. No one has reviewed the company yet. :thumb: The more reviews we get there the better and more useful the resource becomes - Thanks Broken Link Removed

Mar 22, 2011
NE Wales
Funster No
MH
Chausson Best of 10
Exp
Since Feb 2013….2nd Van
I've visited Campbells twice. Initially a small site some 18 months ago, it was raining heavily the sales guy came out to me and had a nice chat, he then told me to have a look in the vans, if i needed help, just to shout....Thats what I like. I can't be doing with locked doors and predatory sales people.

Visited again 2 months ago, the site location had changed, a huge place, one salesman on the ground, struggled to gain his attention actually. Some of the used PVC vans looked a bit ropey, although the new Adria with two singles was very impressive.

I hope they don't end up like "Discover".....remember them! Especially when Todd's are a short spit away with their indoor sales ground and discreet sales staff.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
All my vans on main forecourt are unlocked and available to view during opening hours, only the vans on bottom forecourt are locked as the sales staff cannot see them easily.

Peter

Have I been missing a trick Peter - I have been to JCM many a time but never seen the bottom forecourt?

talaris

Free Member
Aug 17, 2012
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class Dethleffs
Exp
since 2011
We noticed the same at Southdowns - very disappointed having made a trip to look at a second hand Concorde which we quire liked the look of. The salesmen saw us looking but did not come over and as all the vans were locked we could not see much. No parking issues as we went in the Smart but maybe that's why they didn't come over!!

To be fair we could have gone over and asked but as we are not really thinking of changing this year didn't but that said a persuasive salesman and the offer of a deal may have done the job on SWMBO.

Having looked at a few dealers before we bought ours the standards were generally poor in most cases with disinterested salesmen and dirty vans.

We bought from Alan Kerr and the standard of vans displayed was excellent.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
tacky presentation

Have to say we drove up to Cambells last month to view 2 motorhomes spoke to the salesman and arranged a time, we couldn`t believe the filthy state of the motorhomes on display.
Damaged interiors, dirty upholstery some reeking of smoke, there had clearly been no attempt to present the moptorhomes in any way at all and all priced at the top end, ok the vans were open to inspect but we got the impression this was more so the salesman didn`t have to leave his warm office.

For certain looking around at them made our minds up that if they couldn`t be bothered to clean them up before selling them any after sales service might well follow the same pattern.
It certainly cost them a sale on that day and we won`t be going back until they change their policy on how they present the motorhomes and attitude to customers.

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
Simple Answer as in Most things in life

IF IN DOUBT __DO NOWT
:winky::winky::winky:

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
[HI]We bought from Alan Kerr and the standard of vans displayed was excellent[/HI].

We did too, could not fault them, Van was presented in an excellent Condition. The Tyres on the front were the wrong ones for that Vehicle, we told them and they had no hesitation in allowing us to change them at a local tyre dealer instaed of driving all the way up there

Deckard

Free Member
Mar 26, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
...looking
Exp
Noob
After a nice weekend away with the kids I decided to pop into Campbell's near Preston to have a quick look at some MH's.

Every van I went into was a disgrace.

The tag axle Cheyenne was like the floor of a tractor, filthy and the door handles were broken so you couldn't look in the bathroom. For a 2007 van it was abused and Campbell's didn't seem in a rush to sell it from what I saw.

The next van smelt like a smoking room, gave me a headache it was so bad. The next few vans also didn't look like they were prepared to make people part with cash.

The numerous sales guys were just standing around, watched me pull up in a MH and look in a few MH's not one asked me a single question. They all looked a little bored to be honest.

It went on from there, I'm not one for slating business' but in this financial climate how can a business be ran so badly. We are planning on a van change in the next 18 months and this place will not be visited again!

Bloody 'ell - I was there too and thought the same!

There was food all over the floor of one, another smelt real bad - the burstner had a busted drop down bed so you couldnt get in properly....I did look at some nice Baileys - but out of my range...

...there is another place round the corner that a I looked at several sub 20k vans....some were in a messy state....the Hobby 750 they had was a total dog, a much abused machine....

..i was pretty fed up after visiting several vendors to find apathy and indifference and filthy busted up vans....am i gonna find me a nice van ?? :Sad:

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years

Peter

I will say that when we popped in (the weekend Treacle woke us up early):winky: every body at John cross were very helpful,site looked good and a well stocked shop.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back