LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Hi, thought I'd start a thread to find out what birds funsters get in their gardens.

Oor feeding station is stocked with peanuts, fatballs, mixed seed and niger seeds, we get the following:-

Great tits
Blue tits
Coal tits
Long tailed tits
Black caps
Dunnocks
green finches
Gold finches
Bull finches
Chaffinch
Black birds
Great spotted woodpecker
Siskins

:thumb:

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
We have many of the above and a couple families of these little chaps too........
great fun to watch (when they aren't using my car as an assault course :roflmto: )

Last edited by a moderator:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
We have all of the above apart from the Siskins which I have never heard of, we may have and I just don't know them. In addition we have a pair of Red Kites. (There are literally hundreds of pairs in The Cambrian Mountains and Ceredigion) I was reading on motorhomefacts that one of their members saw a Red Kite take another bird in the air, I am sure they are mistaken. I have never seen "ours" do this, they are carrion eaters only. Throughout the summer the Crows and the Kites have epic battles, the crows almost always win, normally through sheer persistence and because they have a tag team whereas the Kite is almost always battling alone, great to watch though, some times the fights bring them very low and

In the summer the Kites often swoop low over the kids when they are in "their" field and have the dog with them.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
Forgot the buzzards.............the rabbits tend to keep a low profile when they are hanging about ::bigsmile: Messy eaters though, they leave bits of their dinner scattered all over the place - have even found ears and paws on the rooves of the motorhomes! :RollEyes:

Don Madge

Deceased RIP
Aug 27, 2007
East Yorks
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Too Long
This little fellow visits us most mornings.

P4140001.jpg

Don

highwayman

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Herne Bay
Funster No
MH
Low profile Rapido
Exp
Since 2005 ish
We get,
sparrows
blue tits
starlings
ring necked doves
blackbirds
thrushes
green finches
green parakeets
an occasional woodpecker
and once a sparrow hawk :thumb:
oh and next door had a heron visit,
it stayed just long enough to empty their pond :cry:

regards....nige

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
Besides all those mentioned we also get flycatchers (arrive about April time), nuthatches, willow tits, tree creepers and of course the Dippers in the stream and the kingfishers by the pond.
Most of the Owls are here and are just starting to call at night again. Would like to have a cuckoo but not as yet. As Jim said most birds of prey are here but I could do without losing any more chicken to the Goshawk.

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
No green parakeets here !:Eeek::Eeek:

Suzy

Funster
Jul 19, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
We have Magpies, Heron (Looking for my fish) and Seagulls as well as lots of other little birds!

OP
OP
Munchie

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
We have all of the above apart from the Siskins which I have never heard of, we may have and I just don't know them. In addition we have a pair of Red Kites. (There are literally hundreds of pairs in The Cambrian Mountains and Ceredigion) I was reading on motorhomefacts that one of their members saw a Red Kite take another bird in the air, I am sure they are mistaken. I have never seen "ours" do this, they are carrion eaters only. Throughout the summer the Crows and the Kites have epic battles, the crows almost always win, normally through sheer persistence and because they have a tag team whereas the Kite is almost always battling alone, great to watch though, some times the fights bring them very low and

In the summer the Kites often swoop low over the kids when they are in "their" field and have the dog with them.

Hi Jim, a Siskin is like a tiny greenfinch usually nests in the Scottish highlands and islands in conifers but we do get occasional visits in the North of England in winter.

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
Sure you do have them Jim, we have them here and especially if the weather is bad
very bright busy little things too

OP
OP
Munchie

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Hi, thought I'd start a thread to find out what birds funsters get in their gardens.

Oor feeding station is stocked with peanuts, fatballs, mixed seed and niger seeds, we get the following:-

Great tits
Blue tits
Coal tits
Long tailed tits
Black caps
Dunnocks
green finches
Gold finches
Bull finches
Chaffinch
Black birds
Great spotted woodpecker
Siskins

:thumb:
We also get (not on the feeding station)

Percy and Florence the Pheasants
George and Mildred the Partidges
Magpies
Collared doves
pidgeons
Tawny owls
Crows

Aso those grey thieving little beggars with the fluffy tails and no wings :Eeek:

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
We get the occasional chicken when they escape from next door:ROFLMAO:

martyn

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
Chelmsford,Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11Years
Although i have not seen them,i'm sure we have got Eagles,Albatross and Condor flying over our way,judging by the size of the calling cards left on my car roof,just after i've washed it.:Angry: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
Never seen one Linda they are beautiful, they don't come this far into Wales by the looks, can't say I ever seen one on Romney Marsh either. Books say it likes to perch on higher places hence your car I suppose. Thanks for posting that photo.
Eileen

lugnutt

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2007
wednesbury.westmidlands
Funster No
MH
autotrail apache
Exp
10 years
all we get is wood pigeons sit on the chimney pot singing "liverpool 2 everton 1 liverpool 2 everton 1,lend us ya gun linda:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

buccaneer

Free Member
Oct 14, 2007
Funster No
We get many of the birds in the list but I have never seen a Kingfisher.
In the last few weeks a Raven called on 2 days then left.Even our cat who will chase the magpies just left this big bird alone and sat not may feet away trying to look as if he had not seen him.

OP
OP
Munchie

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
We get many of the birds in the list but I have never seen a Kingfisher.
In the last few weeks a Raven called on 2 days then left.Even our cat who will chase the magpies just left this big bird alone and sat not may feet away trying to look as if he had not seen him.

Only ever seen one in the wild. We were at Ferrymeadows Peterborough and called into a hide in the nearby nature reserve and one landed on a nearby bush absolutely beautiful!! ::bigsmile:

In the same vein we were staying in Newton Stewart and took a run out to New Lanark here New Lanark World Heritage Site - Beautiful 18th Century cotton mill village Visitor Centre and Hotel Great day out for anyone in the area. We took a walk along the Clyde and about 2 miles from the mill came across an RSPB site. They were watching Peregrin Falcans nesting on a cliff the other side of the river. We spent ages watching them feeding two chicks simply stunnung. Certainly made our day.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back