Jun 11, 2012
Durham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2011
Hi,
Our overcab bed is basically a storage area. Does anyone actually use it as a bed? Was looking at it the other night thinking that would be great as a bed?? but then what do we do with all our 'Stuff'.
Any ideas and comments much appreciated
Steve

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
I always slept in the overcab when I was single - mainly so the dogs wouldn't be able to get in with me :roflmto:

I guess the 'stuff' got chucked onto the front seats. Now the dogs sleep on the front seats and the 'stuff' gets chucked inthe overcab.

It's like those puzzles when you keep moving the tiles around until the picture makes sense.

Last edited:

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
We slept in ours once,the wife had a panic attack in the middle of the night then stood and watched whilst i made other bed up.Now storage area.:ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
Hi,
Our overcab bed is basically a storage area. Does anyone actually use it as a bed? Was looking at it the other night thinking that would be great as a bed?? but then what do we do with all our 'Stuff'.
Steve

yep thats my bed mrs t lounges in the dinnete

:thumb::thumb::thumb:​

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
use ours all the time, have duvalay's rolled out and chairs etc on top of them then just lift down into drivers area overnight

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We keep our spare towels and bedding on our drop down bed. It has actually been used as a bed a couple of times, though the mattress is too soft for my liking.

Mar 25, 2013
Maidstone Kent
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit 160
Exp
Since 2013
We slept in ours once,the wife had a panic attack in the middle of the night then stood and watched whilst i made other bed up.Now storage area.:ROFLMAO:

I found I couldn't hack it in the over cab bed either! So it is now a storage area for the bedding and anything else we can hurl up there!! Thank goodness for the curtains to hide it all.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
When we first saw overcab beds we said we could never imagine sleeping up there, especially being bus pass holders. We decided we'd give it a try just to see what it was like. We were surprised to find it really suited us. It's a massive comfy bed (has a mem foam topper) and when we get up in the morning there is no bed making and stowing of bedding, just lift up and forget it. Then at night pull down and it's ready. And even after Jean's knee replacement it's no problem to climb a couple of steps of the ladder.
We love it. :thumb:

Wyn

s7ev0

Funster
May 31, 2010
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit
Exp
Since 2009
We always sleep in ours (up there in a mo when I've finished this post!)

I sleep in the front end though, cos Mrs Brit Stops doesn't like to feel "cooped up". I also think it probably makes a difference how much space you have above the bed. We also use ours for storage of coats, etc. during the day.

When we had our three kids with us though, the two boys would sleep in the over cab, and we'd sleep in the dinette made up bed, cos then they could go to bed earlier than us, and if we had an early start we'd on occasion drive off with them still up there. I know, I know...

Just getting to the stage where we think we might prefer a fixed bed at the back though.

Still can't figure out why no manufacturers make a rear lounge with a drop-down bed - I think we'd be interested!

Steve :Smile:

albeano

Free Member
May 13, 2012
bolton
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
4 years
woulnt be without the overcab, bedding stored up there during day and travelling, Ive always slept well up there when ive used it, and the grandaughter loves having her own "princesses castle" (with the safety rail) space. Its just so convenient and useful to us. :thumb:

Jun 1, 2010
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Micro campervan
Exp
Since 2012
Always sleep in the overcab - very big and comfy - and can store stuff on it during the day. Wyn and Jean, do you know the maximum weight the Profila overcab bed can hold? Thanks.

Dec 4, 2012
leicester
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki and vw cam
Exp
15yrs
As i often travel alone I prefer to sleep in the overcab i find there is plenty of room up there and it is very comfortable and saves messing about making up the bed in the lounge. I also use it to store extra sleeping bags in case family drop by uninvited :whatthe: I just push everything to the very back and there is still room for me :thumb: There is a nice little window that can safely be left open all night so it never gets too hot or claustrophobic. The bed does fold in half to allow more headroom for driver and passengers but it has to be done manually which is a bit of a drag moving the mattress about but I have seen some more recent models that have what i think are gas strutts to just lift the whole thing temporarily whilst not in use. Saves clouting your head when not concentrating on what you are doing!!:Eeek: Its a huge space and i would be lost without it :thumb:

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Always sleep in the overcab - very big and comfy - and can store stuff on it during the day. Wyn and Jean, do you know the maximum weight the Profila overcab bed can hold? Thanks.

Hello - like the van:thumb: As for the capacity of the overcab bed I can't find anything in the manual to say but it is so well constructed that I can't imagine anything (or anyone) that you could put up there that it couldn't support! It certainly copes fine with the weight of us two adults and seems to be robust enough to cope with more. What had you got in mind? :Eeek:

Have you had the van long? and have you got the hang of it?
If we can help with any queries feel free to ask::bigsmile:

Wyn

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Hi,
Steve

We use it all the time. No need to make up a bed, it's always there...

Mrs Callumwa and I have just spent every night of the last two weeks sleeping up there. We also have a 2" memory foam mattress topper on top of the original mattresses. It's very very comfy.

Just push it up in the morning out of the way, sorted and simples......

... that's what it's there for....:thumb:

kaybee

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2012
I always sleep in the overcab. Find it very comfortable though I did replace original mattresses with a memory foam one. Always ensure I take a bottle of water, mobile phone, kindle, glasses and van keys to be with me. Sleep soundly.
In the day store extra bedding etc up there. :Smile:

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Our overcab is absolutely huge and I love sleeping up there. It could sleep 3 people with ease. There is also a massive Heki which makes it very airy and spacious....my husband pretends he is a tank commander, Wally :ROFLMAO: the mattress in very good too,very comfy.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Our overcab is absolutely huge and I love sleeping up there. It could sleep 3 people with ease. There is also a massive Heki which makes it very airy and spacious....my husband pretends he is a tank commander, Wally :ROFLMAO: the mattress in very good too,very comfy.

Why is the mattress called 'Wally' :Confused:

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Poor punctuation, hubby is a Wally for sitting looking out of the Heki. The mattress is very good I should have put! Who would guess I work in a school?

OP
OP
durhamahoy

durhamahoy

Free Member
Jun 11, 2012
Durham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2011
LOL, what a wonderful thought. Thank you for sharing that. Now thinking of buying a 'Memory mattress' for up there, and giving it a go.
Steve

Jun 1, 2010
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Micro campervan
Exp
Since 2012
Hello - like the van:thumb: As for the capacity of the overcab bed I can't find anything in the manual to say but it is so well constructed that I can't imagine anything (or anyone) that you could put up there that it couldn't support! It certainly copes fine with the weight of us two adults and seems to be robust enough to cope with more. What had you got in mind? :Eeek:

Have you had the van long? and have you got the hang of it?
If we can help with any queries feel free to ask::bigsmile:

Wyn
:thumb: Many thanks, Wyn. I read on this site that one funster's overcab bed can support up to 30 stone. Embarrassingly, when my occasional travelling companion is with me up in the Profila overcab bed, our combined weight exceeds this!! :Sad: (I did look to PM this info but couldn't find out how to do it!) I keep checking for any overcab droop but all seems well so far! I've had my van for a year and love it.

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp

Elaine and I did same she woke up early hours through a complete wobbly she only wanted a pee
10 minutes later back bed bed made up 7 days later by by elddis 140

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Our overcab bed is our bed. I don't get claustrophobic so I sleep in the pointy end - it's a bit like being in a small ridge tent at times. The main problem we have is condensation building up in cold weather.

During 7 years of VW kombi ownership we got sick to death of changing seats into beds into seats again so we went for a MH with an overcab, a four-seater dinette and two permanent bunks in the rear. Its the rear bunks where we dump the junk, unless our youngest decides to holiday with us.

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
We have the fixed singles at the back and the sister in law has the overcab double and she loves it:thumb:

duane0001

Free Member
Jan 18, 2013
East Coast, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
Expedition 67 soon!
Exp
2021 This time
:thumb: Many thanks, Wyn. I read on this site that one funster's overcab bed can support up to 30 stone. Embarrassingly, when my occasional travelling companion is with me up in the Profila overcab bed, our combined weight exceeds this!! :Sad: (I did look to PM this info but couldn't find out how to do it!) [HI]I keep checking for any overcab droop[/HI] but all seems well so far! I've had my van for a year and love it.

Is this some sort of medical condition? :Eeek:

colyoung

Free Member
Oct 26, 2007
Hull
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
7 Years
Always use ours,it's the best bed I have ever slept in.Will continue to go "upstairs" to bed until Mother Nature stops me(and wife!)

OP
OP
durhamahoy

durhamahoy

Free Member
Jun 11, 2012
Durham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2011
HI,
We are going to give the overhead cab bed a go next time out. Didn't think about the weight side of things, we have a combined mass of about/approx/almost 32 stone. Which makes me wonder if the cab bed is up to it?

Steve
:Eeek:

Spenders

Free Member
Jan 19, 2013
Tadcaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2013
When we were looking for a van and deciding on layout, we initially looked at fixed rear beds, thinking of not having to make/re-make beds, then decided to go for the U-shaped lounge for extra daytime space.

We were sure we wanted an overcab bed for the truculent teenager. We though she'd be thrilled to have a space all of her own, like her own personal bat-cave, and the one we ended up with even has a TV attached to the roof that folds down at the press of a button! (I'm obviously old enough to think that's cool)

I went away in the van a couple of times on my own and then with dear old Dad, and slept in the rear lounge beds, just made up into singles. When we first went away as a family, we started the night with Mrs Spenders and I in the rear lounge beds and teenager in the overcab. Whilst I was snoozing happily the aforementioned teenager decided she didn't like it in the overcab, said it was claustrophobic, so was found huddled in the dinette seat. After this, the overcab has been nominated as my berth, as Mrs Spenders feels the same as the truculent teenager! There's a warped form of democracy in our van!

I find it just fine up there, and being on my own, there's acres of space and the standard mattress is well comfy. It was a bit of an acrobatic challenge to get from ladder onto bed but once I'd developed a 'system' it's not a problem, though every time I make the 'leap of faith' across the divide I have a mental image of the scene in Walt Disney's 'Dumbo' where the title character is on a ladder at the circus about to start doing the trapeze show :ROFLMAO: (sorry if that image has spoiled anyones Sunday dinner!) :Doh:

Simon

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back