What is the perfect motorhome for a couple with a occasional grandchild
Our tale starts with a elddis 140
Wrong due to
Don't like making beds up on a evening
Where do you put a 3 year old to bed early so then have to go to bed our self
And after a while just did not like the van itself layout nor looks
Number 2 burstner t640
I love this van perfect I thought but
But when on a evening I like to turn in early Elaine likes to stop up and read or watch tv
Reverse on a morning I get up at 6 and end up waking up Elaine banging about making my morning brew

Other wise no problem

To solve this the only way forward would be to trade in to something with a length of maximum 7 meters 3.5 ton or under and a enclosed rear bed room
4 belted traveling seats under 35k

As as near same front lay out as we have now
This will not be happening any time soon but any ideas please

What where your mistakes

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Easy solution ... both go to bed and get up at the same time!!! :thumb:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I don't think there is any such thing as the perfect motorhome :cry:

I bought a hymer C644 brand new first. This was great until we had an extended period of bad weather. Sitting inside for almost 2 weeks at a dinnette was a nightmare.

My next was a Eura Mobil 770HS. This was a gorgeous van that I love to this day. However it's downfall was the lack of a fixed bed at the back (it has a u shaped lounge).

Next was a self build bus. It was an Optare Metro rider. Brilliant layout as I did it myself. However it was too wide, too slow and thirsty.

The current van is a self built Fiat Ducato van conversion. It is perfect in every way except I miss having a double bed to lounge around in and it could do with being perhaps 1 meter longer and 8" taller so I could have all the waste plumbing internal.

I would love it if Eura were to do a double floored van in exactly the same layout as the Hymer 584 with a 4.5T chassis. I think this would probably be as close to perfect for me as it would be possible to get.

Failing that, I am going to get a Iveco 65C18 XLWB van next and convert that...

In the meantime I think current van and a caravan will have to do. Get the best of both worlds. Small van for mooching about in and a caravan for the longer stops on my travels.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 12, 2011
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Burstner ixeo t 590
Exp
4yrs
perfect motorhome

Mmm is there 1,we hav a 550 tribby the lounge area's great but we hav to make the beds up we use the 2 singles.So we go looking for a new van and cannot find a layout we like better so the wife rolls out her sleeping bag and i make my bed up and make do for the time being.
We r restricted to a 6mtr van:thumb:

duane0001

Free Member
Jan 18, 2013
East Coast, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
Expedition 67 soon!
Exp
2021 This time
Mmm is there 1,we hav a 550 tribby the lounge area's great but we hav to make the beds up we use the 2 singles.So we go looking for a new van and cannot find a layout we like better so the wife rolls out her sleeping bag and i make my bed up and make do for the time being.
We r restricted to a 6mtr van:thumb:

Good choice of van Sir :thumb: or Ma'am

<-------

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
I don't think there is any such thing as the perfect motorhome :cry:

I bought a hymer C644 brand new first. This was great until we had an extended period of bad weather. Sitting inside for almost 2 weeks at a dinnette was a nightmare.

My next was a Eura Mobil 770HS. This was a gorgeous van that I love to this day. However it's downfall was the lack of a fixed bed at the back (it has a u shaped lounge).

Next was a self build bus. It was an Optare Metro rider. Brilliant layout as I did it myself. However it was too wide, too slow and thirsty.

The current van is a self built Fiat Ducato van conversion. It is perfect in every way except I miss having a double bed to lounge around in and it could do with being perhaps 1 meter longer and 8" taller so I could have all the waste plumbing internal.

I would love it if Eura were to do a double floored van in exactly the same layout as the Hymer 584 with a 4.5T chassis. I think this would probably be as close to perfect for me as it would be possible to get.

Failing that, I am going to get a Iveco 65C18 XLWB van next and convert that...

In the meantime I think current van and a caravan will have to do. Get the best of both worlds. Small van for mooching about in and a caravan for the longer stops on my travels.
You and Scotjimland should swap ideas!

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
You and Scotjimland should swap ideas!

My needs and his are the opposite end of the scale I am afraid.

Mine is small, nippy but fully functional for fulltiming - solo.

His are I am guessing for 3 people occasional use ie weekends and the odd holiday with a lot more space needed.

I did meet Jim many years ago at a pub down south and had a merry couple of days parked on his car park back when he was fulltiming in an RV :thumb: Happy Days.

JypsyJeff

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1998
We have an Adria Coral S670 SLT.
2 fixed single beds with a folding partition so that I can go to bed and rise early whilst the boss can have a late night and lay in. Also the lounge area converts into a bed if required.
Perfect. :thumb:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Ours is our umpteenth van and we have not found a better layout. The bedroom can be closed off with solid door if needed. The seating area is always available and we have a second (pull down) bed if we ever need it, together with a large washroom. There are only two of us (+dog) so might be less good if there were more than 2.
It is also 7.5 metres long, which is a drawback but not critical.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
What is the perfect motorhome for a couple with a occasional grandchild
Our tale starts with a elddis 140
Wrong due to
Don't like making beds up on a evening
Where do you put a 3 year old to bed early so then have to go to bed our self
And after a while just did not like the van itself layout nor looks
Number 2 burstner t640
I love this van perfect I thought but
But when on a evening I like to turn in early Elaine likes to stop up and read or watch tv
Reverse on a morning I get up at 6 and end up waking up Elaine banging about making my morning brew

Other wise no problem

To solve this the only way forward would be to trade in to something with a length of maximum 7 meters 3.5 ton or under and a enclosed rear bed room
4 belted traveling seats under 35k

As as near same front lay out as we have now
This will not be happening any time soon but any ideas please

What where your mistakes

Well our van is slightly longer but ....

As we both have different sleep patterns I sleep in the overhead and woman sleeps in one of the bunk beds in the back ( bunk beds are across the back so only actually take up 2' 6" of the vans length )
No beds to make up at night and we go to bed when we want :)

Mind you, if we had a 3 year old as well that might be a problem,, I spose I could clear out one of the underseat storage lockers though :thumb:

annadg

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
I'm new to it
I wish I knew what the perfect motorhome layout was.............................:cry::cry:

Peter

Its the one that you can relax in, laugh in, love in and not mind the occasional inconvenience because its where you want to be. A place to be happy and have FUN

We love ours :)

electricscott

Free Member
Nov 23, 2010
Buckden Marina
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
3 year
it will always be a compromise, we made a list of our ideal requirements and picked the van that meets the majority of them. some things on the list are essential e.g. good payload as we are going long terming and others desirable e.g. large garage to carry a motorbike.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back