Free Member
Sep 6, 2012
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2012
We are going on our first trip across the channel this summer and would like to hear people's views on the above. Specifically if people bother to re-wire a 2 pin hook up link or is it ok not to bother. Thanks.:thumb:

GaryW

Free Member
Aug 6, 2012
Fleetwood, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2012
Hi, we are also on our first trip to France this summer,like you I wondered if a reverse polarity connection was needed.
I took the plunge a made up a connector for a couple of reasons;
1) because I didn't want to end up needing one and not having one.:cry:
2) because I could.:ROFLMAO:

Dead easy to make and gives you peace of mind.
It's just knowing my luck I will only need one if I've not got one. :winky:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Some folk on here say that reverse polarity is not a problem which I believe to be true so long as nothing goes wrong with any electrical items you may be using.

So ... I don't want to take any chances and carry all the necessary connectors to be able to correct reverse polarity.

I'm sure someone with more knowledge on the subject than me will explain the pro's & con's.

Brian

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
It only becomes a problem if you have to strip down a mains appliance when its still connected to a live supply.

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Two basic points about connecting to EHU in France.
1.You will encounter reversed polarity. A tester is cheap and we leave one plugged in all the time,if it shows that polarity is reversed I have a lead about 12" long that I made up to correct this.

2.You will encounter a connection other than the usual Euro hook-up socket. This will usually be a 2 pin French connection,so I carry a short lead to adapt to this.

Mike.

ehuplad

Free Member
Feb 9, 2009
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hobby 600
Exp
its a 2 pin plug, If it is reversed polarity, just turn the plug round 180 deg and refit, it will then be correct polarity.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
an example of why rev polarity is and isnt be dangerous

normal polarity

1) remove a lit 'bulb' from its holder and stick a finger in the holder...you will get a shock

2) now turn off the light and stick a finger in...you wont get a shock.

now reversed polarity....

repeat item #1......you will get a shock

repeat item #2....you will still get a shock.

the reason.......when performing #2 you are turning off the live supply to the bulb holder so cant get a shock

performing #2 with reversed polarity means you are turning off the neutral supply wire...which means the live supply is indeed still live.

electrical items will still work as intended...lights will still light, motors will still turn the same way and a kettle will still boil.

there is no such thing as reversed polarity....only incorrect wiring by our safety standards.

please dont try this at home...its only an example :Doh:

Last edited:

Deleted User
its a 2 pin plug, If it is reversed polarity, just turn the plug round 180 deg and refit, it will then be correct polarity.

Can't do that with a French two pin plug as the socket has an earth pin that locates in a hole in the plug. Spain and many other European countries use earth contact strips on the outside of the plug and these can be reversed, a Schuko plug that has both systems will work throughout Europe and is fitted to adaptors bought in the UK.

Be careful when using plug in testers as some (mine) does not show the lack of an earth when showing reversed polarity, so when testing always correct the polarity in order to test for an earth. Lack of an earth connection is also a common problem and IS dangerous.

OP
OP
Fermenter

Fermenter

Free Member
Sep 6, 2012
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks to everyone for the replies. It seems that some people think it is best to make up an adaptor in case required. However others have never had a problem. I am still none the wiser but will err on the side of caution just in case.

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001

Very misleading advice.

The German Shuko plug has two pins (L and N) and side stripes for the earth connection. This plus IS REVERSBLE.

The French domestic type plu has two pins (L and N) and a hole (earth) to accept the pin on the socket. This plug IS NOT REVERSIBLE.

I carry a short lead with the European blue plug and socket just like a mini ehu lead. This has the live and neutral wires swapped over at one end. This can be placed bewteen the long ehu lead and the motorhome thus correcting reversed polarity no matter what plug on the ehu bollard.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
we know when polarity is reversed as the leds in the switches glow dimly even when switched off

ehuplad

Free Member
Feb 9, 2009
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hobby 600
Exp
Very misleading advice.

The German Shuko plug has two pins (L and N) and side stripes for the earth connection. This plus IS REVERSBLE.

The French domestic type plu has two pins (L and N) and a hole (earth) to accept the pin on the socket. This plug IS NOT REVERSIBLE.

I carry a short lead with the European blue plug and socket just like a mini ehu lead. This has the live and neutral wires swapped over at one end. This can be placed bewteen the long ehu lead and the motorhome thus correcting reversed polarity no matter what plug on the ehu bollard.

Sorry but it if it has a hole for the earth then my 2 pin continental lead, will not have a earth as this is on the outside as in spain. never seen this set up when travelling in France.

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
When you've sorted the hook-up out don't forget your anti gas attack devices.

Brian I'm not sure if you're messing about or are serious. Gas attack devices? Europe is out of range to any North Korean ballistic missiles and surely they'll be nuclear warheads not mustard gas?

I would have thought they'd be better off knowing how to defend against Somali pirates?

Last edited:

Parcverger

Funster - Campsite Owner
Aug 13, 2007
Parc Verger - Limousin
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 years
When we toured I always had a tester and a pre-prepared polarity reverser in case we found an ehu where polarity was reversed. So when we set up Parc Verger, I followed our (French) electrician around with a mains tester to ensure that there is no reverse polarity here. He did not understand why this was needed until I explained, and now if there is any electrical work to be done he asks me to come with him and check his work!::bigsmile:

Bob
www.parcverger.com

Deleted User
Sorry but it if it has a hole for the earth then my 2 pin continental lead, will not have a earth as this is on the outside as in spain. never seen this set up when travelling in France.

If you have a continental adaptor bought in the UK it should have the Shuko plug which will work in France as well as most other Continental countries because it has both earthing systems ie a hole and earthing strips.

If it does not have the hole then it will not earth in French sockets without the side earth connectors.Your lead could be a domestic lead specific to one country but if it does not have the earthing hole then it is not a universal Continental lead.

ehuplad

Free Member
Feb 9, 2009
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hobby 600
Exp
If you have a continental adaptor bought in the UK it should have the Shuko plug which will work in France as well as most other Continental countries because it has both earthing systems ie a hole and earthing strips.

If it does not have the hole then it will not earth in French sockets without the side earth connectors.Your lead could be a domestic lead specific to one country but if it does not have the earthing hole then it is not a universal Continental lead.

I think we are talking about different things here, i was answering the original question about reverse polarity. if it is what you say, then there will be no earth whether it is reverse or not.
So i do not think that my answer was misleading at all. infact i thing that yours is more misleading as the original question was about reverse polarity.

And as stated by others the electricity should always be checked to make sure there is a earth.

Deleted User
[HI]
[/HI]

This is your original reply and my reply is/was that this is NOT possible in a FRENCH socket. I see no possible confusion from this post.

My consequent posts were intended to clarify the position with regard to the various plugs and sockets in use on the Continent. The Shuko plug can be used throughout Western Europe but even this CANNOT be turned in a FRENCH socket in order to correct reverse polarity.

I repeat if your plug does not have a hole for an earth connecting pin then you will NOT have an earth connection in a FRENCH socket. In my opinion this is far more serious than reverse polarity.

I apologise if my replies have confused you or anyone else :thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Thanks to everyone for the replies. It seems that some people think it is best to make up an adaptor in case required. However others have never had a problem. I am still none the wiser but will err on the side of caution just in case.

It's a problem with these forums.

If you are doing a job, do it properly. A tester plug costs nothing, a cross over adaptor costs nearly nothing. So buy them both and use them. Just one minute of your time when you hook up and you'll know that you are safe.

Deleted User
It has just been pointed out to me that a two pin socket with earth strips and no hole will not go into a French socket in any case, should have been obvious to me really :Smile:

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
On the seargent unit in my van there is a light which indicates reverse polarity.Does this bassically do the the same job as a tester plug ?

Vlad

Aug 5, 2012
Southampton
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
since 1981 on and off
If you have reverse polarity, it means that the electricity is connected the wrong way round. This means that the MCB is on the neutral and not the live wire, removing the protection. I always check the polarity and have a converter in the van. Better to be safe than etc.etc.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back