warning Light? (1 Viewer)

May 16, 2010
North Hykeham
Funster No
MH
Custom
Exp
much more now
I took the MH to Towtal yesterday to have my new towbar fitted.

Fiat 2.8 JTD 2002

On the way there (and back) the injector warning light would pop on then off, especially if I backed off the throttle a bit. I could pull 70 to 80 mph easily with no problem but if I hit 2800 revs in 4th it would pop on and if the engine was loaded eg. when going up an incline but still pulling well.

It appears to be very intermittent.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

BTW

The new towbar is brilliant but the wind and cold cut us in half whilst we had to walk around Hanley for a few hours while it was being made and fitted.

kiwicamper

Free Member
Jun 8, 2009
christchurch NZ
Funster No
MH
fully intergrated
Exp
since 2000
I took the MH to Towtal yesterday to have my new towbar fitted.

Fiat 2.8 JTD 2002

On the way there (and back) the injector warning light would pop on then off, especially if I backed off the throttle a bit. I could pull 70 to 80 mph easily with no problem but if I hit 2800 revs in 4th it would pop on and if the engine was loaded eg. when going up an incline but still pulling well.

It appears to be very intermittent.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

BTW

The new towbar is brilliant but the wind and cold cut us in half whilst we had to walk around Hanley for a few hours while it was being made and fitted.

any chance the guy who fitted towbar has somehow buggered up the wiring?
last time I had a towbar fitted they stuffed up the piping to my water tank.perhaps youhave had some wires disturbed.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Looks like it was happening before the fitting as he says it was happening on the way there and back.

Wyn

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
injector wiring has been a problem on that model as in its too short and pulls on the connectors you can reroute this a bit to help and check the connections are tight on tight plugs be careful not to mix them up you can sometimes tighten the plug by squeezing it carefully so as not to break it.That would be my best guess.

see here for more details

http://www.fiatforum.com/ducato/280730-2-8-jtd-injectors.html

Last edited:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Looks like it was happening before the fitting as he says it was happening on the way there and back.

Wyn

Never let the truth get in the way of blaming the last man (usually a fitter) getting the blame:Doh:
G

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Check around the fuel filter housing/hand pump as these can be known to leak and cause low pressure. Check the injector loom is attached properly, as these are known to be a little short on some vehicles and can pull out. If all avenues have been tested, then have the injectors/injector seals looked at

OP
OP
acting_strange
May 16, 2010
North Hykeham
Funster No
MH
Custom
Exp
much more now
Never let the truth get in the way of blaming the last man (usually a fitter) getting the blame:Doh:
G

To be honest I have had a look at the new Towbar fitting and they have done a fantastic job :)

I would easily recomend them...

OP
OP
acting_strange
May 16, 2010
North Hykeham
Funster No
MH
Custom
Exp
much more now
Just to give further information....It only seems to do it when its warm/hot....I took it to 3500 revs when cold and it was fine....came back after a short run and it started doing it and I noticed the engine had reached operating temp...slight loss of power too until I backed of then accelerted again...would this be the ecu cutting into "get you home mode"?

OP
OP
acting_strange
May 16, 2010
North Hykeham
Funster No
MH
Custom
Exp
much more now
Almost certainly wastegate siezed. I have had to do both mine & friend this year, easy fix.

Thanks for this......so now where is the wastegate band how do I fix it? ::bigsmile:

Big hammer??....Bigger Hammer???....get swmbo to shout at it ????

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
A squirt of WD40 ans a pair of mole grips on the little arm arrowed.
You will need to get under the van by the door area, from behind the front wheel, depending on the van you may need to lift it, so care needed.
Look up the back of the engine & identify the turbo which will look similar but not identical to the picture.
Doesn't take much effort & it doesn't move very far so do not force it.

file:///C:/Users/djp30/Desktop/WastegateStickingFigure3.jpg

Attachments

• WastegateStickingFigure3.jpg
    WastegateStickingFigure3.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 102
OP
OP
acting_strange
May 16, 2010
North Hykeham
Funster No
MH
Custom
Exp
much more now
A squirt of WD40 ans a pair of mole grips on the little arm arrowed.
You will need to get under the van by the door area, from behind the front wheel, depending on the van you may need to lift it, so care needed.
Look up the back of the engine & identify the turbo which will look similar but not identical to the picture.
Doesn't take much effort & it doesn't move very far so do not force it.

file:///C:/Users/djp30/Desktop/WastegateStickingFigure3.jpg

Thanks Jay....will give it a go...You're a star :thumb:

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Light on at 2800rpm

I had similar problem, here is an extract of a post 18th March

I bought my MH private. Fiat Ducato 2.8JTD. My red MIL came on at 2800 rpm. Then went out when foot off gas. Not too bothered as son has garage. Plugged it in, came up as "overboost". No problem says son, bet waste-gate on turbo seized. Yes it was. Free it and hey presto and it revved freely. However, the red MIL indicates an injector problem. Well yes in a way, as due to overboosting the ECU shuts off fuel to the injectors, so the message WE GET (humans!) is injector problem.
I had cause to ask previous owner about something else, he said light came on and he thought it was to prevent over-revving.
Seems it had been seized when stood idle at the dealers some time before he purchased it.

The fault came up as a P0235 fault code.
Good luck and keep us informed.

Last edited:

jetsets

Free Member
Jan 26, 2012
derby
Funster No
MH
hitop
Exp
fixed mine

HI There

used the pic and info on this thread. Very useful, My warning light was coming on when going up hills or accelerating to overtake, sometimes power was lost and you had to fiddle with revving back and gear changes to get it going again. Called AA out this morning as the light was on a lot, plugged in computer and no fault codes were there. So we ( me and AA) went for a ride, demoed the problem, but as there were no obviousl faults codes or wires or pipes off all they could do was reccomend me to take it to an expert.

So I thought I would find the turbo and look at the wastegate. Found it ( hard to reach crawling under van) few sqirts near pivot point on arm, used mole grips and gradually freed it off, being careful as I dont know how far it is supposed to move. Anyway got it moving and went for a run - feels better and no lights!

SO Many thanks must have saved me a fortune..:RollEyes:

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
HI There

used the pic and info on this thread. Very useful, My warning light was coming on when going up hills or accelerating to overtake, sometimes power was lost and you had to fiddle with revving back and gear changes to get it going again. Called AA out this morning as the light was on a lot, plugged in computer and no fault codes were there. So we ( me and AA) went for a ride, demoed the problem, but as there were no obviousl faults codes or wires or pipes off all[HI] they could do was reccomend me to take it to an expert.[/HI]

So I thought I would find the turbo and look at the wastegate. Found it ( hard to reach crawling under van) few sqirts near pivot point on arm, used mole grips and gradually freed it off, being careful as I dont know how far it is supposed to move. Anyway got it moving and went for a run - feels better and no lights!

SO Many thanks must have saved me a fortune..:RollEyes:

So you did consult an expert. You consulted MOTORHOME FUN!

Well worth every penny of £10 for the info, I know mine was well spent.

Glad it worked, knowing you deprived a Fiat Main Stealer of cash is the best bit though!

jetsets

Free Member
Jan 26, 2012
derby
Funster No
MH
hitop
Exp
next job

Yep thanks

Now on to another task, stopping the creaking in the worktop/cabinet work near the cooker- its a dakota. Found the culprit, I think its the metal plate behind the cooker squeaking agains the woodwork - not the cabs - when I take it out ( its just jammed behnd the work top) Its hard to make it creak - as soon as its in then I can hear a creak when I lean on the cabinet. Its been getting on my wick for over a year now . Had to remove the cooker though to find it.:Confused:

Silkcut1105

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 3, 2011
Swansea
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
Since 1991
warning light

ive got a 2001 fiat and the injector light has been on for the last 2 years ive taken it to fiat in swansea and they cant find anything wrong at all i think its a loose wire somewhere ?but cant find it.but so far no problems with rough running or anything.touch wood.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
I'm sure I heard recently that any warning light showing will now mean a failed MOT. That could be a problem.

Wyn

Deckard

Free Member
Mar 26, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
...looking
Exp
Noob
my warning light has been on for about the same time (2 years) and it just passed its mot yesterday::bigsmile:

The law hasnt been enforced yet....will be for your next one though :cry:

Apparently its the MOT catching up with technology...just feels like the garage gets to charge me even MORE each passing year!

jetsets

Free Member
Jan 26, 2012
derby
Funster No
MH
hitop
Exp
still ok

well its been out on two trips now since I freed the wastegate and all is still well.!

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
well its been out on two trips now since I freed the wastegate and all is still well.!

Glad it worked. Nice feeling when a worrying problem is actually a freebie fix!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back