Are motorhomes predominately owned by 'older' (retired?) people? (1 Viewer)

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I'm just wondering, are most owners of motorhomes 'of a certain age' ? and if so are they retired?

Do younger people drive 'campervans' and older people drive 'coach built' or 'A Class' ?

Of course the answers will be biassed by the age of forum members.

For the sake of transparency I am asking the identical question on 'Wildcamping' and 'Facts'

Just curious.............. Oh and for starters I'm 55 with a Panel Van Conversion and about to stop work and set off on a grand adventure throughout Europe.

Chox :Smile:

Last edited by a moderator:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
We bought our first c -class in our thirties.

I guess many are retired due to the kids leaving the nest/downsize/disposable income/at last let's live again types that have that new freedom in finances and time that allow them to do so.

I also think many younger ones enjoy the adventure it brings to them and their children much more, and are possibly buying younger, rather than saving it for later.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I'm just wondering, are most owners of motorhomes 'of a certain age' ? and if so are the retired.

[HI]Do younger people drive 'campervans' and older people drive 'coach built' or 'A Class' ?[/HI]

Of course the answers will be biassed by the age of forum members.

For the sake of transparency I am asking the identical question on 'Wildcamping' and 'Facts'

Just curious.............. Oh and for starters I'm 55 with a Panel Van Conversion and about to stop work and set off on a grand adventure throughout Europe.

Chox :Smile:
Yes they do....:roflmto: Older people also drive RVs::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I was 33 when I got my first and it was a coachbuilt Hymer.

I am now almost 42 and have a self build panel van...

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I was 33 when I got my first and it was a coachbuilt Hymer.

I am now almost 42 and have a self build panel van...

Gromett, that chucks a couple of theories into a cocked hat :whatthe::ROFLMAO:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Forum Survey here

Broken Link Removed

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi , I put together my first camper from an old commer mini bus ( conversion to a sort of camper ) back in 1978/79 then only 33 years old after borrowing and renting several camper vans , now on my 8th which is a small coachbuilt at nearly 67 years young, doubt it'll be the last .
Terry:sin:

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Well I had my first Camper when My kids were about 4-6 so I must have been around 29-30.

It always seemed that where ever I parked up, all the surrounding vans were owned by old fogies,

.............................and now I am one......
::bigsmile:

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
First MH bought when I was 47 & OH was 54, after 20 years of caravanning :Smile:

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
I bought my first VW Dormobile when i was 25, tents, trailer tents prior to that, then work and mortgages took over, Winnebago a class when i retired, and now a 5er.

Craig

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Thanks Jim, I wonder how the figures might look now (as there are clearly a lot more members now)............

Vote anybody ?

:Smile:

Yes indeed, that is an old poll... but still open as far as I know..

try voting and commenting to test ... if not working start a new poll :thumb:

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Yes indeed, that is an old poll... but still open as far as I know..

try voting and commenting to test ... if not working start a new poll :thumb:

Well, the problem is I do have enough grey hairs to be struggling a little but I will have a look and see if I can start a poll :Blush:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Why not start another poll?

I and nikki are 44 now and bought our first van when we were 35. We own a large coach built.

We have always been the youngsters on meets etc, there is definitely less families now than when we started :Sad:

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
I 56 years old, left it a bit late but now have x2 little ones. :thumb:
Motorhomes are perfect for long uk weekends or European trips.
Had a MH for a year now :thumb:

I tried airports with kids :Eeek: never ever again:Angry:

Load up, drive anywhere, pull in , book in , release kids to play area , have a beer ---easy :thumb:

Most places seem to have older retired couples in MH`s and familes use tuggers .

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
I chose a caravan for many years and changed to a motorhome about 8 years ago.

I don't know but my feeling is that most motorhomers are older.

Possible reasons:

Cost - motorhomes are very expensive and perhaps unaffordable whilst bringing up a family.

Style of holiday. We love touring, when the family was young we usually stayed longer at places which meant a caravan was easier.

Time. Now retired we can spend weeks touring, previously we could not.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I 56 years old, left it a bit late but now have x2 little ones. :thumb:
Motorhomes are perfect for long uk weekends or European trips.
Had a MH for a year now :thumb:

I tried airports with kids :Eeek: never ever again:Angry:

Load up, drive anywhere, pull in , book in , release kids to play area , have a beer ---easy :thumb:

Most places seem to have older retired couples in MH`s and familes use tuggers .

At 156 years old you did leave it a bit late :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

My first van, homebuild VW in my 20s. I have had a MH of some sort ever since except a couple of trailer caravans at intervals. Being retired now helps to get out more, and I could not have justified buying a motorhome that cost 5 times as much as my first house when the kids were young

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Fisrt ever van was a VW camper(bag of shit-my view although camper was in very good nick ::bigsmile:)which I swapped my car for with the idea of trying camping when kids were young IE late 20s.Got rid after 8 weeks that could not come soon enough :ROFLMAO:
Left camping alone until I got to early 40s when we borrowed sons small tranny camper that he bought only to find no one would insure him @ under 25 ::bigsmile: His loss our gain :thumb:
Now 56 and on 4th self build with a few CBs etc,thrown in just to sell :thumb: but prefer latest Self build Ambulance:winky::thumb:::bigsmile:
terry

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
a lot of us started in dual purpose PVC's though I had a commer highwayman in the 1970's which suited a young family better. As I grew older I wanted even more space and went back to van conversions based on larger commercial vehicals, these days I have an A" class prior to my final box.:thumb:

jacks girls

Free Member
Feb 12, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm new
I'm in my forties with 2 primary school age kids and decided to switch from the caravan to the motorhome this year (always liked the idea of a motorhome but did 't think I could afford it, got what I think is a good trade in for the caravan and 0% finance for a good part of the total so decided to go for it). We loved the touring lifestyle with the caravan, and into our second week with the motorhome (school holidays) and enjoying it, definitely easier to move on with than the caravan and easier to manoeuvre. Currently on a Park Dean site, only £20 a night and the kids are having a ball In the kids club. Would definitely recommend motor homing to families.

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
We bought a VW van in 1971 and converted it . We had it until 1978.
Since then we have had tents, caravans and boats.
When we retired we bought an Aclass motorhome but changed it for a James Cook (Westfalia) panel conversion. Luxurious but compact
:winky:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
I was 35 when we had our first van conversion, done by a company called Manchester Motorhome Conversions, loved it we toured all over France with it the girls sleeping in a pup tent.

We had our first Caravan when I was 26.

Had a few year off at one time then bought another motorhome a little Eriaba Car pop top, just loved that one, the Reg was Joy 991E just loved that little van, always called her Joy and she had a big graffic across the front with her name on.

Then when we retired 7 years ago we bought the Hymer, love it, don't no why it has not got a name we just call it the Hymer. :Smile:

I think with us it was just a life choice nothing to do with age.

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We were 38 when we gt our first one, a Talbot Camelot. Had that for about 3 years then upgraded to a small coach built. We both wish we had bought ones years ago. Quite a few of our friends (all around 40-50 ish) are now buying MH's.

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Its the advertisers fault in this country.You only have to compare the stamdard of advertising here and in Europe. Here it seems to be persuing the grey pound,abroad they are targeting young professional 'nuclear' families.
I built my first one when I was 25 and conntinued then bought my first Hymer when I was 35.

Xan

Free Member
Sep 25, 2012
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm new
We got our first coachbuilt last year. I'm 43 and SWMBO is quite a bit younger :thumb:

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
I was pretty ancient when I bought my first PVC 4 years ago. I call PVCs 'campervans' because they are, well, vans!! Loved first 2 (Autosleeper Symphonies), and should have hung on to the last one. Current van has turned my hair completely grey! Motorhomes are big things - too big for me!

If I had known how much I would enjoy campervanning I would have bought one much earlier instead of all those flash cars!!

Catherine

duane0001

Free Member
Jan 18, 2013
East Coast, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
Expedition 67 soon!
Exp
2021 This time
Got my first MH when I was around 33 then a second one in the same year a six berth autotrail pullman, Now I am about to turn 40 this year and have this one over there
<------look a 2 berth
Kids are too old and dont want to come along with mummy and daddy no more :thumb:

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
Sweeping generalisation coming...

I think many on FUN are proactive and dedicated motorhome owners and ownership is an important part of their a way of life.

You are likely to find a younger mix on here as:

a, it's a forum
b, it uses computers

This would naturally preclude some owners of the, erm, older generation. (although I would expect this comment will cause heated discussion) :yawn:

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
I'm 43 and mrs Vlad is 39,I've wanted a van for years but only got round to getting one last year. My 2 kids are 8 and 6 and we love going away as much as we can ,the vans a coach built 6 berth with end lounge and we love the layout .Maybe when I'm old and creaky ill opt for a fixed bed ,but on a wet day with the kids the extra space is great and it only takes a few minutes to make a bed up that's big enough for us all to snuggle up in.

Vlad

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
We got our first coachbuilt last year. I'm 43 and SWMBO is quite a bit younger :thumb:
LUCKY MAN!!! cradle snatcher :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

got first caravan in 1985
first MH in 1997
first RV in 2009
i am a young 54 year old
55 later this year so you do the maths

got rid of first wife in 2007 whoopeeeee
full time RV living since DEC 2011 and loving the freedom

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun