Nov 8, 2011
MK, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Burford Duo
Exp
Four years
Hi

I soon take delivery of a new Rapido on a Mercedes chassis. It's an automatic. What are they like for hill starts compared to a Fiat comformatic please? Also, can someone explain what a soft ride actually means as a lot of reviews put this as a negative.

Thanks,
Mary

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Hi

I soon take delivery of a new Rapido on a Mercedes chassis. It's an automatic. What are they like for hill starts compared to a Fiat comformatic please? Also, can someone explain what a soft ride actually means as a lot of reviews put this as a negative.

Thanks,
Mary

Hi Mary
They seem to have skirted round this post
Not an expert in either ford or Merc Auto's but hill start and gradient take off will vary not just manf to manf, but vehicle to vehicle and is subjective depending on expectations and driving style

Soft ride in a Motor home would be in my opinion a negative,
Soft (Ride)suspension will result in a lot of unwanted roll on corners and on roundabouts. whereas a Hard ride would be a positive in these ares, it might be a negative on straight roads
Firmish would be a compromise, and as near perfect as possible

Don't judge your vehicle until it is in full running trim, with all on board thatyour likely to carry
Suspension and ride changes with loads carried,
A brand new empty motor home might well be described as a soft ride but when loaded could be just right
If you still require firmer or softer rides when loaded there are many after market solutions so all is not lost.
Just remember most of your motor homing experience will generally be a compromise, the perfect vehicle has not been built yet
Geo

Last edited:

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
We have a Rapido 983M automatic.
Hill starts? That's what automatics are for! Release the handbrake, press the accelerator and away you go. No rolling back even when fully loaded and we've been up some wicked steep mountains and ramps.
Soft ride? What it means for us is that when fully loaded the back end can whip violently from side to side on speed bumps, potholes and uneven surfaces. Quite uncomfortable and if everything isn't properly secured things can go flying about.
Easily cured by fitting air suspension - the best accessory we've added to the van since we bought it. We got the air bags from Airride at Lincoln show for £500 fitted. Some people say they are an easy DIY job so you can save quite a bit, but for me there is no such thing as an easy DIY job!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
From memory, the Rapido Merc Auto's will not hold you on a slope, you do need to use either the handbrake or footbrake to stop rolloing back.

Not a problem.

Peter

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
My manual Merc claims to have an automatic hold on the footbrake to prevent you rolling back. I've never actually risked trusting it.

My only automatic is my Discovery, and that can hold on a 1in2 gradient and do a hill start without using the brake (off road of course, I don't think we have any gradients like that on the roads.:roflmto:)

OP
OP
Wizbangs

Wizbangs

Free Member
Nov 8, 2011
MK, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Burford Duo
Exp
Four years
Thanks for all of the replies. I hate hill starts with a vengeance. Our auto car holds on hills thank heaven. As to the soft ride, I guess I will be learning another new driving skill or two and neater packing and storage. Living in Milton Keynes there are roundabouts everywhere. I hope it doesn't wallow around like a pregnant whale.

Deleted User
Thanks for all of the replies. I hate hill starts with a vengeance. Our auto car holds on hills thank heaven. As to the soft ride, I guess I will be learning another new driving skill or two and neater packing and storage. Living in Milton Keynes there are roundabouts everywhere. I hope it doesn't wallow around like a pregnant whale.

We have a 2008 Rapido 966M with the merc automatic gearbox. I find the ride is good, far better than the Fiat 2.8 that we had before, it will roll a bit on roundabouts but its not a sports car just slow up a little and it will be fine. The auto box will not hold on a hill without using foot or hand brake but I have never had a problem. My mercedes has not been without problems, all electrical but hopefully now sorted.

spongy

Oct 5, 2009
anglesey
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
since 1999
Idon't think you will be disapointed with your new Rapido.
We collected our 891M 3litre auto a couple of weeks ago,it drives like a dream the Mercedes suspension coupled with the stability control gives a brilliant ride.
Just travelled up from North Wales into the Derbyshire peak district in really strong winds solid as a rock on the road even when passing HGV'S.
The seven speed auto is smooth as silk although to be honest i have stuck to about 60 MPH for the time being,hill starts are no problem and you can reach the hand brake easily.
Hope you enjoy your new motor home we could do with some more Rapido owners on here

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Hi Mary
They seem to have skirted round this post
Not an expert in either ford or Merc Auto's but hill start and gradient take off will vary not just manf to manf, but vehicle to vehicle and is subjective depending on expectations and driving style

Soft ride in a Motor home would be in my opinion a negative,
Soft (Ride)suspension will result in a lot of unwanted roll on corners and on roundabouts. whereas a Hard ride would be a positive in these ares, it might be a negative on straight roads
Firmish would be a compromise, and as near perfect as possible

Don't judge your vehicle until it is in full running trim, with all on board thatyour likely to carry
Suspension and ride changes with loads carried,
A brand new empty motor home might well be described as a soft ride but when loaded could be just right
If you still require firmer or softer rides when loaded there are many after market solutions so all is not lost.
Just remember most of your motor homing experience will generally be a compromise, [HI]the perfect vehicle has not been built yet[/HI]
Geo

[HI]Oh yes it has , I have got it [/HI]:RollEyes:::bigsmile:

Spenders

Free Member
Jan 19, 2013
Tadcaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2013
I have an Autotrail Scout on a Merc chassis but it has the 'Sprintshift' box, which I'm told is an automated manual (6 speed) and not a traditional auto.

It was a bit disconcerting at first, as there is a noticeable delay in changing from one gear to another, much more so than with a traditional auto, but now I've got used to it it's no problem. It doesn't have 'creep' like a traditional auto, but does seem to hold still for the moment when you take your foot of the brake and apply accelerator.

I won't willingly go back to a manual box in the future!

jeepmadmike

Free Member
Dec 23, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
5 years
I don't like auto hand brakes you need to think quick if a car in front starts reversing

I really like most autos for hill starts but have no experience with the chassis your talking about, my land cruiser will spin all 4 wheels doing a steep hill start with a 3+ Ton trailer but that's a whole different animal.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Hi
Thanks,
Mary

What a coincidence ! I met them at Wokingham motorhomes today, noticed the Fun sticker in their windscreen and said you will have to get another one from Jim:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Enjoy the van Mary, nice choice and best dealer in UK for Rapidos

Peter

OP
OP
Wizbangs

Wizbangs

Free Member
Nov 8, 2011
MK, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Burford Duo
Exp
Four years
Hi Peter,

It was lovely to meet you and very informative too. :winky:What a great team at Wokingham. So friendly and helpful. Yes, I will need another Funsters sticker as that one is well and truly stuck on. So far I am thrilled with the Merc chassis. So very different from a Fiat for driver appeal.

Deleted User
Hi Wizbangs
I see that you went to Wokingham Rapido, we bought ours there as well. You have made a good choice, you will always find Martin and his team very helpfull and obliging and will always give you excellent after sales service. Hope you enjoy your Rapido, we certainly do.

spongy

s123wba

Free Member
May 23, 2012
black country
Funster No
MH
low profile coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
with the sprintshift you have a minute or so before any roll ... the latest auto is fully automatic

so no problems with roll i av a merc auto 2008 fantastic gearbox . ::bigsmile:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wizbangs

Wizbangs

Free Member
Nov 8, 2011
MK, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Burford Duo
Exp
Four years
Well, it drives like a dream, with no rollback at all. I have had a year from hell with the Fiat comformatic. I will never go the Fiat route again. EVER!

The lights over the bed don't seem to work, perhaps there is a hidden switch. Overall, Mary is a very happy lady.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back