Free Member
Jul 13, 2012
Following the Sun
Funster No
MH
Hobby Premium 65GE
Exp
since 1985
Met a full timer here in Spain yesterday who was planning to return to UK to get his vehicle MOT'd.
My thoughts on this are that it is part of UK law to have your three year old plus vehicle tested every year to be able to comply with the MOT regulations.
These regs. do not extend outside of the UK they are made in our Parliament and are for our residents on our roads.
It is part of all insurance contracts that you keep your vehicle in a roadworthy condition every single day it is used on a public road in the UK and in any other country your insurance extends to.
As most will realise the UK MOT Certificate only covers the time and day the vehicle was presented for the test. This is because once you leave the testing station you could swap all the tyres round for illegal ones, bulbs can expire on the way home, etc.etc.
The plain facts of insurance are that if you need to claim after an accident and the police vehicle examiner says your vehicle was unroadworthy, MOT or not, you will be lucky to receive anything other than the basic third party cover, which of course is for any others involved not you. Dependent on the faults found various other offences may be revealed and summonses issued for them.
So the question arises; Why are full timers trudging back to the UK for MOTs and UK Vehicle Excise Licences each year?

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Err cos your insurance would be void also it would be illegal to drive in any other country if your vehicle did not comply with the regs in the country of registration? :Smile:

OP
OP
Traveller_HA5_3DOM

Traveller_HA5_3DOM

Free Member
Jul 13, 2012
Following the Sun
Funster No
MH
Hobby Premium 65GE
Exp
since 1985
Err cos your insurance would be void also it would be illegal to drive in any other country if your vehicle did not comply with the regs in the country of registration? :Smile:
Insurance would not be Void where did you get that idea from, 3rd party cover is all that is required by law and if your vehicle is roadworthy, up to the police or Insurance vehicle examiner to prove it is not, then you are legally insured. The fully comp bit depends on their small print and all of them differ on small print. Where the confusion arises is inthe need to obtain an MOT every 11/12 months. This is a sort of safety net introduced in 1960 by the then Transport Minister Ernest Marples originally to for vehicles over 10 years old to be tested every year thereafter. In April 1967 it reduced to the present 3 yr old/annual/test format.
Never ever been any requirement for vehicles used outside UK.
Regarding other countries Regs, all covered in one of the Geneva conventions way before Common Market/EU existed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
Insurance would not be Void where did you get that idea from, 3rd party cover is all that is required by law and if your vehicle is roadworthy, up to the police or Insurance vehicle examiner to prove it is not, then you are legally insured. The fully comp bit depends on their small print and all of them differ on small print. Where the confusion arises is inthe need to obtain an MOT every 11/12 months. This is a sort of safety net introduced in 1960 by the then Transport Minister Ernest Marples originally to for vehicles over 10 years old to be tested every year thereafter. In April 1967 it reduced to the present 3 yr old/annual/test format.
Never ever been any requirement for vehicles used outside UK.

I think you might be missing the point. Your insurance company requires you to ensure that your vehicle is on the road legally without a MOT you cannot tax it and without tax you are not on the road legally.
If you are not on the road legally in the UK then you are not on the road legally anywhere else either.

Pete:Cool:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Traveller_HA5_3DOM

Traveller_HA5_3DOM

Free Member
Jul 13, 2012
Following the Sun
Funster No
MH
Hobby Premium 65GE
Exp
since 1985
I respect your observation Pete but where do you draw it from with regard to EUROPE needing a UK MOT certificate. You also miss my point about MOTs being of use only on there day of issue to mitigate any offences of un-roadworthness that may exist and invalidate all but third party cover.

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
I respect your observation Pete but where do you draw it from with regard to EUROPE needing a UK MOT certificate. You also miss my point about MOTs being of use only on there day of issue to mitigate any offences of un-roadworthness that may exist and invalidate all but third party cover.

You do not need a UK MOT in other European countries as they have their own systems such as ITV in Spain, but you are not registered in other countries you are registered in the UK, where you do need a MOT certificate after the first 3 years and yearly afterwards.

You are right about the MOT not being a Guarantee of road worthiness, but you still have to have a valid one to remain road legal.

Bryan

Free Member
Jul 19, 2007
Funster No
Isn't this very simple?

The insurance company don't require the vehicle to be roadworthy...they require it to have a valid MOT.

No MOT = No insurance...

Seeeemples (squeak)

OP
OP
Traveller_HA5_3DOM

Traveller_HA5_3DOM

Free Member
Jul 13, 2012
Following the Sun
Funster No
MH
Hobby Premium 65GE
Exp
since 1985
Isn't this very simple?

The insurance company don't require the vehicle to be roadworthy...they require it to have a valid MOT.

No MOT = No insurance...

Seeeemples (squeak)

Bryan I can only speak of the small print on the Insurance I have had over the years since 1957 and roadworthy at all times is the term used, and as the driver/owner the responsibility for ensuring that it is, falls to both the driver and the owner. You are correct I believe in that latterly rather than have a vehicle examined by a professional examiner many have accepted a current MOT as sufficient proof in minor claims to avoid extra expense on their part, but that is all it is. If you are ever stopped by the Old Bill for a duff tyre see if your last MOT will get him/her to forget all about it.

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Bryan I can only speak of the small print on the Insurance I have had over the years since 1957 and roadworthy at all times is the term used, and as the driver/owner the responsibility for ensuring that it is, falls to both the driver and the owner. You are correct I believe in that latterly rather than have a vehicle examined by a professional examiner many have accepted a current MOT as sufficient proof in minor claims to avoid extra expense on their part, but that is all it is. If you are ever stopped by the Old Bill for a duff tyre see if your last MOT will get him/her to forget all about it.

I would love to hear your arguments put to a Gendarme he he.:Eeek:

OP
OP
Traveller_HA5_3DOM

Traveller_HA5_3DOM

Free Member
Jul 13, 2012
Following the Sun
Funster No
MH
Hobby Premium 65GE
Exp
since 1985
I would love to hear your arguments put to a Gendarme he he.:Eeek:

You do know of course that it is your right to have an interpreter present when questioned by Police in the EU. I doubt very much if the Village bobby in France, even with his little gun in his holster would be confident enough of his EU law to justify the expense

OP
OP
Traveller_HA5_3DOM

Traveller_HA5_3DOM

Free Member
Jul 13, 2012
Following the Sun
Funster No
MH
Hobby Premium 65GE
Exp
since 1985
Thanks Ken but I don't full time so it is really a matter of trying to see if anyone has any raw facts to justify the expensive trudge to the UK that others keep doing on the basis of fear and rumour spread round the forums. Maybe someone will come along with some facts/evidence to support the need.

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
every country has its own MOT rules and form of car taxation, insurance, some will be different to ours possibly more strict, but they allow our vehicles to visit their countries so long as we are fully compliant with the motoring rules/regulations of our country, so that means insurance, MOT and tax - and seeing as you cannot get an MOT in europe for a vehicle unless you have imported it to that country, it means a trek home to comply.

...and yes you can have an interpreter present.... but did you know that you have to pay for said person to be there - unlike in the uk where we provide the service for free

Last edited:
OP
OP
Traveller_HA5_3DOM

Traveller_HA5_3DOM

Free Member
Jul 13, 2012
Following the Sun
Funster No
MH
Hobby Premium 65GE
Exp
since 1985
every country has its own MOT rules and form of car taxation, some will be different to ours possibly more strict, but they allow our vehicles to visit their countries so long as we are fully compliant with the motoring rules/regulations of our country, so that means insurance, MOT and tax - and seeing as you cannot get an MOT in europe for a vehicle unless you have imported it to that country, it means a trek home to comply.

...and yes you can have an interpreter present.... but did you know that you have to pay for said person to be there - unlike in the uk where we provide the service for free

I hear what you say but at the moment without quoting where the information/Legislation you state comes from it rates only as opinion.
The Full timers I have met by and Large are not resident in any of the countries they visit and consequently cannot apply for the vehicle to be registered in that country. If you do not have a letter box you become very difficult to deal with.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I hear what you say but at the moment without quoting where the information/Legislation you state comes from it rates only as opinion.
The Full timers I have met by and Large are not resident in any of the countries they visit and consequently cannot apply for the vehicle to be registered in that country. If you do not have a letter box you become very difficult to deal with.

You know full well where to find the legislation re MoT requirement and the UK law requi ments
I refuse to engage in your game of denial
I except and fully understand your argument re showing plod a current mot with 4 bald tyres
Just as you do showing him 4 new tyres and no MoT
Whether an Insurance breach or not it is a legal requirement to have a current valid mot when the vehicle is used on any UK roads at any time after its 3 year or 1 year periods of exemption have expired
It is a legal requirement that all UK registered vehicle shall be fully legal in the uk to be legal elsware in europe
You Know it,I know it and thankfully 99.9% of the driving population know it
All your arguments are seriously flawed
However a Europe wide exceptable MoT is on the cards soon
Geo

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
You know full well where to find the legislation re MoT requirement and the UK law requi ments
I refuse to engage in your game of denial
I except and fully understand your argument re showing plod a current mot with 4 bald tyres
Just as you do showing him 4 new tyres and no MoT
Whether an Insurance breach or not it is a legal requirement to have a current valid mot when the vehicle is used on any UK roads at any time after its 3 year or 1 year periods of exemption have expired
It is a legal requirement that all UK registered vehicle shall be fully legal in the uk to be legal elsware in europe
You Know it,I know it and thankfully 99.9% of the driving population know it
All your arguments are seriously flawed
[HI]However a Europe wide acceptable MOT is on the cards soon[/HI]
Geo

If only.:Smile:

You wouldn't see me back in the UK for many a year.:thumb:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
If only.:Smile:

You wouldn't see me back in the UK for many a year.:thumb:

Its only 3-4 years away they tell us, draught proposals already in, Mot print equipment updates already uploaded and in place at current MoT stations, capable of applying country of registration logo and language
So you bring in a french registered vehicle say to me here and it leaves with a current French mot
Dont hold yer breath but its coming:thumb: 2016
Geo

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Ok I suppose mouthing of without the proof and maybe one or two still need convincing
Up to the min regs

Useing abroad for less than one year called Tempoary export HERE

Using abroad for more than 12 months called Permanent export HERE

There are no other legal definitions you cant temp export for 13 months Etc:Doh:
So full time uk reg vehicle use abroad is not allowed full stop
Geo

Last edited:

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
It all boils down to if you want to wing it and risk it. I'd certainly not entertain it, but what others do is up to them.

Example of a Motorhome Policy Wording:
http://www.caravanguard.co.uk/downloads/motorhome_insurance_policy.pdf

Terms and conditions
1.) The Motorhome must be permanently registered in the Territorial Limits and have a current MOT certificate. It shall at all times be maintained in a good mechanical and roadworthy condition and be regularly serviced in accordance with the manufacturer’s specifications.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
May I respectfully suggest that you just go home... say "Hi" to the family, drink some John Smiths, stock up on Marmite, Oxo cubes, Sainsburys' medium cut marmalade, Fray Bentos pies and...

...get a MOT at the same time. :winky:

JJ :Cool:

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
May I respectfully suggest that you just go home... say "Hi" to the family, drink some John Smiths, stock up on Marmite, Oxo cubes, Sainsburys' medium cut marmalade, Fray Bentos pies and...

...get a MOT at the same time. :winky:

JJ :Cool:

I absolutely agree.:thumb:

Apart from the John Smiths that is.:Smile:

Oh and the Fray Bentos pies.:Smile:

Oh and the Marmite.:Smile:

RogeTeri

Free Member
Apr 8, 2012
Abrantes, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
February 2013.
This is an interesting thread! My limited understanding is that if you are driving in Europe then the car must be legal in its country of origin. So a UK motor will need insurance, tax and MOT. It would be welcome to get an MOT anywhere in Europe and I look forward to that, but for the time being it means having to trek back at least once a year. Without a valid MOT you can't retax the car and once your tax runs out then the car becomes illegal in Europe. As far as I am aware this would then require re-plating in the country you're staying in which would be more costly than the trek to UK. Even if you do re-plate then you will become subject to the requirements of that country and that would include having a postal address there. I really am not sure if this is correct, just my own confused interpretation. I'm quite happy now to sit back and listen and learn from the experts. I'm sure I will learn from you. But one last observation, seeing that we seem to be handing our sovereignty over to Europe drip by drip, it would be good to get something good from it all. I can't see it being too difficult for our Eurocrats to come up with one standard requirement for insurance, tax and MOT available for any car throughout Europe. How much easier life would be for those of us who would like to spend more time travelling, might even lower our carbon footprint!

Last edited:

dadsmad

Free Member
Feb 18, 2013
newtownards
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
i like an mot, apart from the fact it is covered under the road traffic order legislated by our government, i would rather someone else checked that i have maintained my vehicle to a good standard for driving here and in europe. i believe in france you may not have to have an mot certificate but you are required to keep the vehicle in a high standard and you will pay a hefty price fines or jail. the americans run the same way. also you cannot get gb insurance to cover a vehicle without a valid mot. this includes us in northern ireland where the mot stations are government run.

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
I read somewhere (may have been on another forum) that there is a Garage in Spain that is owned by a Brit and does UK MOTs. Have been searching for the details but so far not found them......

chesterfield hooligan

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Hucknall, Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
10 years
:ROFLMAO: can someone tell me why a MOT station in Gibralter cannot MOT UK vehicles if they failed on anything it would give saterlite garages some much needed work it could be done to UK MOT standards :ROFLMAO:

:ROFLMAO: you can have a Gib MOT !!!! if you reside register your vehicle in Gib :ROFLMAO:

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
I read somewhere (may have been on another forum) that there is a Garage in Spain that is owned by a Brit and does UK MOTs. Have been searching for the details but so far not found them......

You probably read it in an earlier thread and they called themselves the The MOT Car Centre, but their website no longer works.

I imagine the law has paid them a visit at their clone test centre in the UK or somebody has pointed out to them that they do have the Internet in the UK and the Ministry of Transport knows how to use it.
They were doing the test in Spain and then issuing at certificate from a testing station in the UK.

Which on the face of it sounds OK, but is in fact illegal.

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
:ROFLMAO: can someone tell me why a MOT station in Gibralter cannot MOT UK vehicles if they failed on anything it would give saterlite garages some much needed work it could be done to UK MOT standards :ROFLMAO:

:ROFLMAO: you can have a Gib MOT !!!! if you reside register your vehicle in Gib :ROFLMAO:

Because the UK Ministry of Transport has no jurisdiction in Gib. so cannot monitor or licence any testers abroad.
Contrary to popular belief Gibraltar is not part of the UK.

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
i like an mot, apart from the fact it is covered under the road traffic order legislated by our government, i would rather someone else checked that i have maintained my vehicle to a good standard for driving here and in europe. i believe in france you may not have to have an mot certificate but you are required to keep the vehicle in a high standard and you will pay a hefty price fines or jail. the americans run the same way. also you cannot get gb insurance to cover a vehicle without a valid mot. this includes us in northern ireland where the mot stations are government run.

In France you need an MOT when the vehicle is 4 years old or more. For -3.5te's it is every two years. It is called a CT control technique. :thumb:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
It will be nice if we get a European wide MOT. Though I remember when living in Germany in the early 80's the annual TUV test was a real horror, I used to dread it. They appeared to be MUCH more stringent than the friendly Brit counterpart. Or maybe they just like failing my old trusty Beemer to get their own back on a Brit for a couple of big defeats. :Smile:

OP
OP
Traveller_HA5_3DOM

Traveller_HA5_3DOM

Free Member
Jul 13, 2012
Following the Sun
Funster No
MH
Hobby Premium 65GE
Exp
since 1985
every country has its own MOT rules and form of car taxation, insurance, some will be different to ours possibly more strict, but they allow our vehicles to visit their countries so long as we are fully compliant with the motoring rules/regulations of our country, so that means insurance, MOT and tax - and seeing as you cannot get an MOT in europe for a vehicle unless you have imported it to that country, it means a trek home to comply.

Two interesting points you raise the first from an earlier post when you said that our vehicles must comply with all the rules of our country. It may work out the same but it is one of the rules drawn up in the Geneva conventions in the 50s that permits the use of our vehicles on other countries roads and the rules to be complied with are the type approval and manufactured state the vehicle was legal in it's home country.

The second point is also first enshrined in a Geneva convention and now has been included in the European human rights and is basically designed to avoid police writing what they want into a statement and getting the accused to sign it. It provides for free access to an Interpreter. If you can email me the detail of the country, police station and the date/s that someone has been charged I will take it up with both my local EU representative and MP who I feel sure will be able to get to the bottom of it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back