Free Member
Nov 5, 2011
Europe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2003
Ouch!......is that a 'good' crash test result? How would it change for the adult if the two front seats were still in place? How can you conduct a crash test with fundamental structure removed?

I think we all know, driving around in an aluminium skinned, foam structure that in the event of a severe accident, our chances are slim.

Ugh!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I'm betting the test was classed as a failure and Bailey would have had to strengthen the seat supports to ensure passengers were not ejected in the event of a crash. It does not make sense that a modern motorhome would be approved to the appropriate standard if it performed in this manner. It's simply unsafe!

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
If thats with the seat belts on , imagine what would happen without them on.
Throw an unrestrained dog ( or two ) into the mix and it would be carnage.:Eeek::whatthe:

Yet people still ask
" Do i have to have seatbelts for my children / grandchildren ?"
We ought to have this link as a sticky link so that when anyone asks , someone can reply with scotjimlands post:thumb:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
As an aside, I think the people who posted the vids were paid a lot of money by the Sleep research centre..

By having an intro 28 seconds long for a 9 second video, they pretty much ensured folk would either give up or fall asleep waiting for them to start

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I watched the first three and was thinking crikey those baileys are crap. No way will I ever buy one.

It wasn't until I read the article that I realised that these were a series of tests with things being fixed after each one.

Well done Bailey :thumb:

jeepmadmike

Free Member
Dec 23, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
5 years
This explains the huge increase of seat structure in my newer van in comparison to the older one!

As for alloy skinned foam filled structures not being strong, think of the stress a passenger jet goes through on each take off and landing and that's just recycled coke cans riveted together.... Not saying a MH is built like that but it could be

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
This explains the huge increase of seat structure in my newer van in comparison to the older one!

As for alloy skinned foam filled structures not being strong, think of the stress a passenger jet goes through on each take off and landing and that's just recycled coke cans riveted together.... ---- Not saying a MH is built like that but it could be
----

An Airstream is!
Cheers, Dave:thumb:

jeepmadmike

Free Member
Dec 23, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
5 years
Very true and the only caravan I have ever fancied, but I don't want to be taken for a rockabilly! Or a tugger! (Not sure which is worse!!!!)

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
something doesnt ring true with the five clips.

looking through the side window every test shows the buildings wall/flood lights and what look like office windows going right to left and there is no decrease in speed but the occupants are thrown in a variety of directions...either left to right or right to left.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

As for alloy skinned foam filled structures not being strong, think of the stress a passenger jet goes through on each take off and landing and that's just recycled coke cans riveted together.... Not saying a MH is built like that but it could be
a motorhomes outer skin is thicker than a passenger jets,....but not a lot !

a passenger aircrafts aluminium outer skin is just 1mm thick.
the pointy end (radome) is a bit thicker but needs regular panel beating/replacement.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back