Is it me or is windoze 8 just pants..... (1 Viewer)

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
I have windoze 8 on a touchscreen laptop, I have found the tile candy just a sloppy advert for microsoft & friends and dont use it & go straight to the desktop. Mutch The rest of my time has on my new lappy been spent trying to find things that used to be easy to find in previous versions of windows and trying to do things that used to be easy to do in previous versions of windows. I really dont like 8 it's not intuitive, it's very difficult to use even for previous windows users IMHO, I have never had this kind of problem with previous versions or am I just getting old?:Eeek: what do you think :Doh:

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I got Windows 8 a couple of weeks ago and find no problem with it. I was on XP and still use Linux on another box. Not using touch screen though, mainly keyboard.

Rgds
Bill

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We bought a new laptop with Windows 8 for our son . Yes it is pants, rubbish etc :helptitanic::Confused::Doh::Eeek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I have windoze 8 on a touchscreen laptop, I have found the tile candy just a sloppy advert for microsoft & friends and dont use it & go straight to the desktop. Mutch The rest of my time has on my new lappy been spent trying to find things that used to be easy to find in previous versions of windows and trying to do things that used to be easy to do in previous versions of windows. I really dont like 8 it's not intuitive, it's very difficult to use even for previous windows users IMHO, I have never had this kind of problem with previous versions or am I just getting old?:Eeek: what do you think :Doh:
I dont have it yet but going by what my son tells me who knows a bit about such things, it is the best since sliced bread and made for the touch screen. Adapting to change is not something that improves with age. Is it Larry.:winky:

Last edited:

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
I am a mac user who occasionally has a requirement for Microsucks, so I have Windoze on a virtual drive.

I recently switched to Windoze 8 and after using it, for the first time, I thought, at last they are getting some where with their crappy OS.

Once you get behind the glitzy tiles it is pretty much as you were, as a Microsucks OS, but slightly improved.

IMHO Windoze 8 is their best so far, but it needs a lot more work.

Haven't used it on a Touch Screen so can't comment on that.

Pete:Cool:

Scotties

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2006
You are right, just reloaded win7, :thumb: although they've made that more difficult as well.

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Installed Win8 two weeks ago to replace a 'crack' version of Win7 which had been detected by Microsoft ::bigsmile:
One week of absolutely hating it and configuring to be as much like Win7 as possible without using 3rd party add-ons
Now,at end of 2nd week,I'm quite liking it-it's certainly much faster to load,use, and close down. But then I'm not running as many progs as I was previously.

Mike.

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
Hi I GOT WINDOWS 8,10WEEKS AGO ,STRUGGLED WITH IT ,I HAD TO USE MY MOUSE TO STOP EVERYTHING DISSAPEARING,MY SON WORKING IN ANGOLA TOOK OVER MY LAPTOP (i`m sat at home ,he is in Angola) PUT AN ADDITION ONTO WINDOWS 8 WHICH GIVES THE OPTION OF A WINDOWS 7 START UP WHICH HAS BEING GREAT I AM NOW LEARNING TO USE W8 A BIT AT A TIME ,AND FINDING SOME OF THE FEATURES PRETTY GOOD.THE PROGRAM IS OUT THERE FREE BUT NOT BEING COMPUTER BUFF NOT SURE WHERE.:Smile:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Had the option of 8 when I bought my new desktop , but decided against and installed 7 Ultimate.
Since then I have been badgered by Microsoft to 'upgrade' to 8 which I have not done, and absolutely no intention of doing so ..

As I understand it, 8 was designed primarily for tablets and touch screen laptops.. I think it also runs on phones ? So can an OS be all things to all devices ? I think not..

7 is probably the best Microsoft OS to date .. it runs faultlessly.. and if it works.. why fix it?

or is it it case of lets fix it until it breaks .. ?

I'll stick with 7 , better the devil you know.. .. :thumb:

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
Windows 8? I don't get it. Honestly what is the point?

Why make a one-size-fits-all operating system that falls short for all users.

It's as bad as that ridiculous paper-clip

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I dont have it yet but going by what my son tells me who knows a bit about such things, it is the best since sliced bread and made for the touch screen. Adapting to change is not something that improves with age. Is it Larry.:winky:

Buttons, I am a fan of the i phone, now on my third one and think it is the bees.
Windows 8 seems to me to be a poor attempt at copying the apps type navigation that for me just does not work on a non touch screen PC.
Things aint wot they used to be :RollEyes:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Buttons, I am a fan of the i phone, now on my third one and think it is the bees.
Windows 8 seems to me to be a poor attempt at copying the apps type navigation that for me just does not work on a non touch screen PC.
Things aint wot they used to be :RollEyes:
I'm going to have to get on Skype before I commit myself any more.:winky:

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
Windows 8 has certainly created debate and divided opinion!

I installed it about 4 months ago on an elderly acer laptop that previously ran Vista. It is certainly true that it takes a bit of getting used to, but in my view it is very good. The machine runs smoother and much quicker than ever before, and I now find it easy to get around it.

Of course I don't have a touch screen but the mouse works very well.

I do not agree with the comments that say there should be different systems for tablets etc. Why? Isn't it much easier to have a similar interface on all these devices? Essentially they are all computers anyway. To me the Microsoft approach, with pretty much a common interface but with the ability to delve into a more traditional interface when required (eg legacy software on a PC) seems right!

At the risk of setting another hare running, my home is an apple free zone - I will not pay their inflated prices for devices that only interface properly with other apple devices. If you do not know what I mean try plugging an ipod (or i anything else) and looking at what is on it with a PC running windows explorer.

jeepmadmike

Free Member
Dec 23, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
5 years
I'm not a fan of windows since XP, mac's OS is better in some but not all areas- Linux is a bit clunky I find but I haven't really got deeply into it

My biggest hate with windows is MS attempts at making stuff user friendly- it just makes less easy to deal with.

I love my mac book for pictures and bouncing stuff about on the icloud between my apple other devices.

Bring back DOS is what I say! No not really!

I wish I could just have a laptop which worked just like my iPads, that is pick it up and use it, a bigger screen and a key board is handy some times, but waiting for things to boot up should have been forgotten in the 90's

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
and if it works.. why fix it?

Simples, if they ever stop selling upgrades thousands of them will lose their jobs.

Just the same as lots of goods, MHs for one, keep piling on the gimmicks to make the punter part with their money even if they don't need to.

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
I had the upgrade option on my last new pc, I paid for the upgrade +disk as opposed to the download version, but after a while I got feed up waiting for thouch screens to arrive in the shops, so I reformatted and went back to win 7, which I run on my other machines...

I dont think I'll go back

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Just been on Skype to my son in the US he treated himself this week to a new Dell high bred lap/tablet with all the many extras on offer. The good news is he only treated himself to a very nice ultrabook a few months ago and is bringing it over with him including Windows 8 as a gift for his dear old dad in May. Windows 8 is on it’s way.:thumb:

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
it takes a lot of getting used to but people who have used apps before find it easier it took me a while to adapt but i now find it ok but if i had the choice i would return to windows 7 but we have to all move on with the times i suppose

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back